• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best fielding side?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Tim
Its all very well to be able to stop the ball & to have a good arm, but how many catches did England drop in the Ashes?.

Granted NZ dropped a few against India, but they made up for them with some superb efforts.
I find it quite funny that in one Test Australia dropped even more...:lol::lol:

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yeah everyone has good days and bad ones - in the field and everywhere.

On the subject of a fielding side, imagine like Jonty, Ponting, Hussain, (who would NZ pick is it Astle?) in a cover circle! :wow:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
its not about taking a couple of ripper catches in your life, its about consistancy, and England just dont have it if a team were picked on fielding i would think that it would look soemthing liek

M Waugh
M Hayden
R Ponting
J Rhodes
N Knight
M Bevan
M Boucher
S Pollock
B Lee
(??? i dunno)
G McGrath

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dillon could be in that team to fill the empty spot. He's a fine fielder, expecially for a fast bowler.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I don't rate Hayden much as a fielder. He's no better than Trescothick or Flintoff (please note I used these players as they are guys I've seen plenty of so am in the best position to judge). Also I think Tendulkar is an excelletn fieldsman?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Giles has a superb arm and got 2 run outs in Pakistan...close together...one with a direct hit from the boundary basically.
That's the first time I've ever seen Giles' fielding praised. I remember going to watch the Bears play 5 years ago, and in a rain break he was out practising his fielding because he was so bad at it and had been told that he had no hope unless it improved 500%

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
Giles has a superb arm and got 2 run outs in Pakistan...close together...one with a direct hit from the boundary basically.
That's the first time I've ever seen Giles' fielding praised. I remember going to watch the Bears play 5 years ago, and in a rain break he was out practising his fielding because he was so bad at it and had been told that he had no hope unless it improved 500%
Well fair play to him he's improved a lot.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by age_master
its not about taking a couple of ripper catches in your life, its about consistancy, and England just dont have it if a team were picked on fielding i would think that it would look soemthing liek

M Waugh
M Hayden
R Ponting
J Rhodes
N Knight
M Bevan
M Boucher
S Pollock
B Lee
(??? i dunno)
G McGrath
Errmm mate...where's Gibbs? I'd put him instead of Hayden.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
nah Hayden fields at silly point (well can, lehman does now) and such, might put gibbs in instead of bevan

Kimbo

International Debutant
I don't rate bevan that much. I have seen him drop a few sitters where he wasn't even watching the ball into his hands. not spectacular really...

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Yeah bevan's not that great.
I'd probably throw in Collingwood in for him
and take Knight out and put Jayasuriya in

anzac

International Debutant
didn't Bevan stuff his shoulder and now has a weak throwing arm?????

some other fielders of note:
Harris - started it all off with Ponting & Rhodes & still as good as most,
Vincent - great work in the gully region in the VB series last year,
Oram - a huge man at 6'6" - a former soccer goal keeper with an 8' 'wing span'!!!!
Andre Adams - reportedly as good as the above with a great arm,
Symmonds - great in the covers
Harvey - they don't call him 'The Freak' for nothing......

:)

Kimbo

International Debutant
Oram has been pulling off some spectacular catches goalie style. I think you have to have Vincent in there- he is the best NZ has. I would have said Harris but Vincent is younger and more athletic.