• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fat XI

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Is this "The Fattest XI Ever" or "The Best XI Consisting of Fat Players"..?

Austin, Cosgrove and certainly Hammond may make the former, but not the latter. Nice to see Ranatunga nominated as captain -- he's fat mentally as well as physically, if you see what I mean!

1. The Doctor
2. Tubby Taylor
3. David Boon
4. Mike Gatting
5. Aloooooooo
6. Arjuna (c)
7. Freddie
8. Ian Smith (wk) ???
9. Warne
10. Big Merv
11. Leverock

I can't think of any truly fat wickies...although, didn't Ian Healy pile on the pounds towards the end? Still need another fat quick, too.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Not particular at all mate. In fact, there was actually a huge lump of lard that played first-class cricket in the 18th century, but I forgot his name. Crockinfo did an article on him a couple of months back.
From the CI profile of Benjamin Aislabee, the first MCC secretary that we know of :

Benjamin Aislabie was quite possibly one of the worst first-class cricketers of all time, although in fairness to him, many of the records from his career when a younger man are unaccounted for. ... His lack of skill was further hampered by his girth, and towards the end of his career he was so fat that he had a permanent runner who also used to field for him.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/8692.html

stumpski

International Captain
Perhaps there should be a Cowdrey or two, and maybe Mark Ealham? This from Jonathan Agnew's book Eight Days A Week:

'During the stoppages the Cricketer's Who's Who came out for the very popular time-killer, Silly Team Picking. There's a Fat XI, always captained by Mike Gatting, and featuring most of the Kent team; the Ugly XI, the Dickheads XI and so on.'

Seems there's room for another thread or two on this theme ...

Agnew goes on to say he was included in the Anorexic XI, opening the bowling with Winston Davis with Neil Foster as first change. He doesn't mention Sikander Bakht..

stumpski

International Captain
Brett lee.
If Lee is fat, 90% of us need to go on a diet.

That was the third mention for Inzi - surprised he wasn't in the starting XI though.

And Jimmy Ormond's fledgeling England career came to a halt after unflattering photos of him on tour in NZ made it into the British tabloids.

Fiery

Banned
That's quite a lot of slack you're allowing me between Axel F and F Wit, don't you think ;)

Anyway, back to contributing to this thread... last time I saw Ken Rutherford, he'd put on a few pounds... Jesse Ryder again (big enough to be named twice in this thread, methinks)... John Emburey... Who was that keeper for the West Indies a couple of years back... he'd eaten a few pies. Darren Robinson - opening bat for Essex and Leicestershire was mahusive.
Yeah, Ridley Jacobs was way fatter than Healy or Smith ever were during their playing days and probably deserves a starting position

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guys, I'm telling you that for most of his career Rod Marsh was chunky at kindest.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Updated team:

1. The Doctor
2. Segwag
3. Boony!!!
4. Inzi
5. Arjuna (c)
6. Benjamin Aislabie (the fattest cricketer ever?)
7. Jacobs (wk)
8. Warney
9. Jimmy Ormond
10. Leverock
11. Chris Pringle

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Serena Williams? Sorry I've just realised I've got my forums mixed up! Not a cricketer, definately a fat ass though....:laugh:

Last edited: