• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its not that normal, very short square of the wicket with long straight boundaries.
Yep, see what you mean now that Mustard slams the first boundary of the innings. Remarkable attempt at a catch from Ryder, considering, really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeys, CW's quiet today. England-vs-New Zealand you'd expect to be heaving every match.

Incidentally, looks like anything that goes past the infielders square here will be four, extremely quick outfield as well as the madly short boundaries.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
If the ball stops swinging England should make 300. Outfield looks great, O'Brien's playing, pitch looks a good one for batting.

Mustard off to a reasonable start with a few nice boundaries, needs to carry on with it now for England.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeys, CW's quiet today. England-vs-New Zealand you'd expect to be heaving every match.

Incidentally, looks like anything that goes past the infielders square here will be four, extremely quick outfield as well as the madly short boundaries.
Its only 11am in New Zealand remember.

And its often like that at McLean Park. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ITSTL, Hussain comparing Cook to Atherton. Apart from being studious openers and being picked for Tests extremely young, don't see the comparison at all. Atherton was so much more natural-looking than Cook will ever be, much as Cook might end-up being better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So would any wicketkeeper of any remote standard, probably 99 times out of 100.

I honestly cannot believe I've just seen that. I don't think I've ever seen a proper wicketkeeper drop one that easy.

Thank God it wasn't Mustard who was dropped.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If Prior/Geraint/Mustard/whoever had spilled that, there would have been murderous intent.

Mustard hitting very unorthodox shots but very cleanly - though he still looks like getting out any moment. Prove me wrong, Philip, and make 50.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Still don't get why New Zealand selected to field on this batting beauty. Might just be handing the game to the English with such a blunder. If England get the runs on the board, which they very well can here, all the pressure will be on the Kiwis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still don't get why New Zealand selected to field on this batting beauty. Might just be handing the game to the English with such a blunder. If England get the runs on the board, which they very well can here, all the pressure will be on the Kiwis.
Nah, New Zealand at chasing > New Zealand at setting. And England at setting < England at chasing.

'Twas the only choice that made any sense, for mine. New Zealand can and should score every bit as quickly if the bowling is equally poor.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand's theory is that they are a better chasing side, no matter what the condition of the pitch (see Chappell-Hadlee series 2006/07). Also I guess they considered that the side chasing had won all three games so far this series.

Still, you certainly wouldn't see Australia making the same choice after winning the toss.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Prior/Geraint/Mustard/whoever had spilled that, there would have been murderous intent.

Mustard hitting very unorthodox shots but very cleanly - though he still looks like getting out any moment. Prove me wrong, Philip, and make 50.
Are you still on half-term?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
'Twas the only choice that made any sense.
8-) Great way of debating. It makes sense to bat first for the reasons I outlined. So the only choice which makes sense isn't fielding. No point debating with you though when you have such an attitude.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think I've ever seen an easier wicketkeeper chance put down.
I've seen crap wicketkeepers like Kamran Akmal and Deep Dasgupta drop them. But I've never seen a good one like McCullum miss something that easy.

You don't get easier chances than that. It's not possible to make a worse error.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
8-) Great way of debating. It makes sense to bat first for the reasons I outlined. So the only choice which makes sense isn't fielding. No point debating with you though when you have such an attitude.
So don't debate. I think it's the only choice that made any sense. I always prefer chasing to setting, under all bar the most exceptional circumstances, anyway. And under high-scoring circumstances, chasing is even more of an advantage.