• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not expecting Pieterson to do that well in NZ tbh. For mine, Strauss & Collingwood are the most likely to be successful with the bat
Would say they're probably the two least likely really, quality seam (and good catching) has always found Collingwood out other than on the absolute flattest of pitches. And Strauss, well, he's been found-out even by West Indies of late.

Not that them scoring runs is inconceivable, at all, but as of now the other 4 batsmen are all better-placed to score.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Will be delighted to watch this series from a neutral perspective. Could use without having to yell at my television at either umpire or Indian player ineptitude. :)

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Martin sends England warning

He wants to lead the bowling attack. How good is this guy?

Chris Martin has warned England against taking New Zealand's Shane Bond-less bowling attack lightly when the much-anticipated cricket series starts next month.
Link

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Chris Martin? Fairly middle of the road. He's actually been our most consistent bowler in tests in the last few years due to Bond and Franklin getting injured. Considering they're not fully fit and the other options are Mason, Mills, Gillespie and O'Diren it's not surprising if he were to lead the attack (I mean, he lead the attack against Bangladesh...).

However, he's not good enough to shoot his mouth off because I doubt he can back up his words.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I like watching Martin bowl and he is almost very good.

Has virtually everything but at just a touch below top quality in all areas. Unfortunately that makes him a decent bowler at Test level but nothing particularly special.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Jones just signed a new contract with a county (I forgot who it was). Anyway, he says he wants to make it back for England, but he seems to be even more injury-prone than Bond.

Martin is starting to turn into a good bowler. Not a great, but decent. And against English batsmen (not Hayden or Ponting by any stretch of the imagination) on a seaming wicket then perhaps 'decent' will be good enough.

kenny44

Cricket Spectator
Haha - his 12* in the first test was great to watch, especially his blazing cover drives!

As for his bowling, if he has a good seaming deck to bowl on he will go well, if not he struggles big time.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like watching Martin bowl and he is almost very good.

Has virtually everything but at just a touch below top quality in all areas. Unfortunately that makes him a decent bowler at Test level but nothing particularly special.
beautifully summed up

jammay123

State 12th Man
martin is gonna have his ass handed to him on a plate by the england batsmen. i fully expect even monty to hit a few sixes in our 3-0 test sereies win. NZ have no chance in hell since bond went.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whatever happened to Englishman Simon Jones? That guy was a legend. King of reverse swing imo.
Jones just signed a new contract with a county (I forgot who it was). Anyway, he says he wants to make it back for England, but he seems to be even more injury-prone than Bond.
Well, yes. He's joined Worcestershire (UIMM) but I fail to see how changing county is likely to help one overcome injuty problems. I'll be astonished if Jones ever plays cricket to any serious, decent level again.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
However, he's not good enough to shoot his mouth off because I doubt he can back up his words.
He was hardly shooting his mouth off. All he said was that England would be unwise to take the NZ attack lightly, which is common sense. He also seems to be confident in his own abilities, which we can hardly criticise him for seeing as we're always bemoaning the fact that our players don't have the "mental toughness" of the Australians.

At any rate that article was merely a response to a stupid one that Jonathan Millmow wrote about how Andrew Strauss was supposedly making snide remarks about the NZ attack. In fact all he said was that he was glad they wouldn't have to face Bond - which makes perfect sense - and that they were familiar with all the other kiwi bowlers, which is true.

Just another case of our idiotic media making up headlines out of nothing.