• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, this for the Test, I guess:

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan*
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Ambrose+
Broad
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar
With Sidebottom replacing his fellow left-armhander Broad if he manages to shake-off this hamstring twinge.

Reckon that's been fairly close to a formality since the squad was picked TBH. This is hoping against hope that the Sky lot are miles out in their mad predictions of Mustard to win a Test spot.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The posts aren't report-worthy. And given I'm another dear old Volts has accused of the same thing, I'm not "getting involed", I'm already involved. It's my prerogative to make such accusations look as ridiculous as I can, because that's what they are.
That's a set of rusty row-locks. You would not be getting involved if it was pretty much any other poster here. You're getting involved solely because of 'history' rather than any involvement in this argument.

And now you're making me feel like a hypocrite by getting involved myself. I suggest that people unconcerned should leave well out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's a set of rusty row-locks. You would not be getting involved if it was pretty much any other poster here. You're getting involved solely because of 'history' rather than any involvement in this argument.

And now you're making me feel like a hypocrite by getting involved myself. I suggest that people unconcerned should leave well out.
See the post above.

The past and the present are not, incidentally, two separate things. One becomes the other.

HeathDavisSpeed

Anyway, I've had enough of disrupting this thread with you and me for now.
Pure gold :laugh:

The past and the present are not, incidentally, two separate things. One becomes the other.
And an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Unless you store a list of all the petty squabbles you've been in for your life like a badge of honour. Its attitudes like this that cause a good number of the wars we see today. People living in the present still celebrate or worship the mistakes made by their Ancestors.

I, firmly, do not subscribe to your views on the past becoming the present. They are only linked as much as you make them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you really wish to discuss this with me, you know my email. I think you also know that I don't terribly often change my mind, though. So act from here as you see fit.

But please - don't discuss this issue with me on the forum.

HeathDavisSpeed

But please - don't discuss this issue with me on the forum.
Strange reaction. I think you may have misunderstood me.

Richard said:
I don't think this is a matter of right vs wrong or one person having the 'correct view'. The relationship between past & present is what you make it to be. Personally, I view them as two divorced entities. The wrongs of the past can be made up for in the present, or things that cannot be made up for should be forgotten about in the fullness of time.

I used to subscribe to your view, and often wouldn't let matters rest. I realised, with time, however that this was just doing myself a disservice and harm and made me look foolish as I would be reluctant to afford others the same breadth as I would like afforded to myself.

I do not think there's an issue here. I'm quite happy to have an argument with someone one week about one issue, but won't let it cloud my judgement on a different issue. You can always see eye to eye with everyone but if you let errors, slights and bad judgements build without any of the anger dissipate then you're only hurting yourself.

Sorry for replying on the thread, but as I say, I don't think this is a "I'm right, you're wrong" sort of issue, and I actually find the topic quite interesting.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like the 3 day game will be a 13/14 a side game aswell given that Vaughan said the following about Sidebottom

"Hopefully over the next few days he'll heal fast and he'll be able to start bowling towards the end of the three-day game or when we arrive in Hamilton (for the first Test)."

Perm

I'm already involved. It's my prerogative to make such accusations look as ridiculous as I can, because that's what they are.
No, you aren't involved. It was a comment that Voltman made towards sledger, that had nothing whatsoever to do with you. There is no need to post on the matter, especially in a way that will only add fuel to the fire, given the history between yourself and Voltman. Quite frankly Richard, people on here would respect you far more if you just shut up sometimes. Now being one of those times. Sadly, I know you don't have the self-restraint not to answer this, and will prove my point.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Walked past Pietersen, Bopara and Sidebottom in the city today. Was going to say something but couldn't think of anything smart itbt.

Pietersen looked like a chav, while Bopara is a bit stylish.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
No, you aren't involved. It was a comment that Voltman made towards sledger, that had nothing whatsoever to do with you. There is no need to post on the matter, especially in a way that will only add fuel to the fire, given the history between yourself and Voltman. Quite frankly Richard, people on here would respect you far more if you just shut up sometimes. Now being one of those times. Sadly, I know you don't have the self-restraint not to answer this, and will prove my point.
This coming from a person, who posts more frequently than Richard and is likely to reach the 50,000 in a shorter amount of time.
I quite enjoy Richard's posts and as this is a FORUM where people can express opinions and thoughts, Richard should be allowed to post as frequently as he wants.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I've said - this thread's seen enough of this for now. I've made it quite clear that I feel there is need to post on the matter, and you speaking-up for Voltman is as predictable as anything on CW ever has been.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
anyhooo..on the subject of cricket...England's team for tomorrow has been named

MP Vaughan (Yorkshire, capt), AN Cook (Essex), AJ Strauss (Middlesex), KP Pietersen (Hampshire), IR Bell (Warwickshire), PD Collingwood (Durham), TR Ambrose (Warwickshire, wkt), CT Tremlett (Hampshire), MJ Hoggard (Yorkshire), SJ Harmison (Durham), MS Panesar (Northamptonshire).

So Strauss and no Shah...i hope this next bit is wrong but

"Shah impressed by scoring 96 in the two-day match against an Invitational side earlier this week but the selectors have decided to choose Strauss to bat at number three.

That means a continuation of the opening partnership between Alastair Cook and Michael Vaughan, which has been intact from Sri Lanka. "

Seems really strange if Vaughan's preference is to bat at 3 as people have previously intimated. I assume it would change your opinion Richard on the Strauss/Shah issue if Vaughan was opening regardless.

Tremlett given a shot as well, seems they aren't overly impressed with Wayward's form atm.