• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blah blah blah. Why do we always have to select either the tried-tested-and-failed or kids barely out of their nappies.

For crying out loud, there's players like Brandon Hiini, Grant Elliott, Bradley Scott, Graeme Aldridge and others who are in their prime and no one even mentions them. Southee is the only one of these youngsters anywhere near good enough to be making the national team yet. Boult, Anderson, Bennett, Sherlock - while I'd love one of them to make a brilliant debut, I don't want to expose them to a MUCH higher standard of cricket too soon and wreck their careers before they've even started (such as for some other young, tearaway quick bowlers I know, eh?)

Hiini is a class bowler; not quick, but class. I don't think he'd be a long term solution to any perceived 'problem, but he could do a job at international level and I'd rather he'd be selected before Sherlock.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Blah blah blah. Why do we always have to select either the tried-tested-and-failed or kids barely out of their nappies.

For crying out loud, there's players like Brandon Hiini, Grant Elliott, Bradley Scott, Graeme Aldridge and others who are in their prime and no one even mentions them. Southee is the only one of these youngsters anywhere near good enough to be making the national team yet. Boult, Anderson, Bennett, Sherlock - while I'd love one of them to make a brilliant debut, I don't want to expose them to a MUCH higher standard of cricket too soon and wreck their careers before they've even started (such as for some other young, tearaway quick bowlers I know, eh?)

Hiini is a class bowler; not quick, but class. I don't think he'd be a long term solution to any perceived 'problem, but he could do a job at international level and I'd rather he'd be selected before Sherlock.
Elliot=no

As for Scott and Aldridge, I'm sure you told me off at one stage for suggesting them:p

IIRC Hiini is a medium pacer that can bat a bit. Not yet unless he starts taking a HUGE amount of wickets otherwise he's an Adams, Diamanti etc

Did I EVER mention debuting Boult, Anderson, Southee etc in that post? Nope. I also said no to Sherlock for reasons of inexperience.

Don't really see the point in that post really.

HeathDavisSpeed

Elliot=no

As for Scott and Aldridge, I'm sure you told me off at one stage for suggesting them:p

IIRC Hiini is a medium pacer that can bat a bit. Not yet unless he starts taking a HUGE amount of wickets otherwise he's an Adams, Diamanti etc

Did I EVER mention debuting Boult, Anderson, Southee etc in that post? Nope. I also said no to Sherlock for reasons of inexperience.

Don't really see the point in that post really.
Not much point, no, but I'm getting mighty fed up with the skip a generation ideas out there. Either you're 30 or 20 - anything in between and no one's interested. Not just you or your post Phlegm, but some of the stuff that's been spouted over the last couple of pages is either myopic or wishful thinking.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Haha bowled by a medium pacer.

Nah Hiini is good, ODI class maybe but tests I'm uncertain.

How the hell did a bunch of CWers get 400?

Out of interest, how did you convince them to play you?

:laugh: :laugh:

Can I get a CW Development League veteran to deliver a Woooooooooooosssssssh please?

Flem274*

123/5
Not much point, no, but I'm getting mighty fed up with the skip a generation ideas out there. Either you're 30 or 20 - anything in between and no one's interested. Not just you or your post Phlegm, but some of the stuff that's been spouted over the last couple of pages is either myopic or wishful thinking.
Hmm didn't you once say lets skip a generation and bring them through instead of the current rubbish?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha bowled by a medium pacer.

Nah Hiini is good, ODI class maybe but tests I'm uncertain.

How the hell did a bunch of CWers get 400?

Out of interest, how did you convince them to play you?
:-O :laugh:

We are a classy bunch.

TBH I was quite happy with my 69 and 42. Hiini was rubbish just got tail ender batsmen out.

Martin was difficult though, he's really improved. The other day I played against Lara, Warne, Inzaman and Martyn, that was kind of fun too.

Flem274*

123/5
Maybe I meant skip Mills, Martin and Mason and select Franklin, Hiini and Duwaaaayne Bowden instead, eh? :p
Knew there'd be a couple of new Wellington bowler in there somewhere.:p

I'd back Mills and Mason to be better than Hiini and Bowden TBH. Franklin should replace Martin though. He's improved but he's still been in his comfort zones so far (SA and NZ). I just don't think Martin has what it takes long term. Our Harmison really, good for a couple of series but massively over-rated.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Just logged into facebook and one of my friends posted a picture of her getting chummy with Jesse Ryder on saturday night (pre injury). He had a lucky escape smashing his hand up and going to hospital rather than have her get her claws into him tbh

Flem274*

123/5
Listen, how about you face him and see if you still call him a medium pacer. :p

It was a massive inswinger as well FWIW.

Re: the rest of your post, Voltman covered it.
I'm a tailender though, everybody bowls 167kmh swinging yorkers or bouncers to me.:p

:-O :laugh:

We are a classy bunch.

TBH I was quite happy with my 69 and 42. Hiini was rubbish just got tail ender batsmen out.

Martin was difficult though, he's really improved. The other day I played against Lara, Warne, Inzaman and Martyn, that was kind of fun too.
:dry:

Flem274*

123/5
Just logged into facebook and one of my friends posted a picture of her getting chummy with Jesse Ryder on saturday night (pre injury). He had a lucky escape smashing his hand up and going to hospital rather than have her get her claws into him tbh
Ooooh story! More please!

HeathDavisSpeed

Knew there'd be a couple of new Wellington bowler in there somewhere.:p

I'd back Mills and Mason to be better than Hiini and Bowden TBH. Franklin should replace Martin though. He's improved but he's still been in his comfort zones so far (SA and NZ). I just don't think Martin has what it takes long term. Our Harmison really, good for a couple of series but massively over-rated.
Nah. Wellington has sweet **** all in the fast bowling stocks at the moment. Bowden, Rasmussen to back up Gillespie, O'Brien, Ryder, Elliott

Flem274*

123/5
Nah. Wellington has sweet **** all in the fast bowling stocks at the moment. Bowden, Rasmussen to back up Gillespie, O'Brien, Ryder, Elliott
We're worse at FC level. Thompson is a good List A bowler but throw him in a FC side along with Dimanti and that semi useless WI import and all the good batting by Sinclair, Hay and Weston is undone.:dry: