• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has the best slower ball in world cricket???

Kimbo

International Debutant
I don't know much about it. You tell me.
I just thought about it while watching the VB series.
I think that a slower ball shouldn't be too slow. Brett Lee's slower ball is too slow, batsmen have time to adjust.
I was impressed with young Shane Watson's slower ball.
Cairns bowls some rippers.
I haven't seen anough to judge though...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't seen Cairns bowl many lately, but the two he gave to Chris Read & Graham Thorpe in 1999 were two of the best I have ever seen.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
id say ian Harvey, but you couldnt say he is an international anymore. ;)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I'd prefer if you said the 'best' slower ball.... coz having the slowest slower ball does not really add value to your variation...
Whats the best slower ball?? How about Courtney Walsh's certainly one of the best if not the best mainly because he doesn't change his action much but Ian Harvey and Azhar Mahmood bowl it with the back of the hand which changes their action a bit although for both have been successful with their variation.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Cairns and Walsh have the best I have seen - very good to deceive players of the calibre of Graham Thorpe.

I think Goughie has a good one which is probably more subtle - creates false shots as opposed to complete deception.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Walsh, no question. He was brilliant down the stretch of his career. I remember him getting Thorpe twice in the same Test with it. What a great bowler!(sighs in admiration :))

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
hmm Cairns has the best I think. I for one dont know while watching him which one's coming. Klusener also bowls good slower bowls wide if the stump makes it difficult to score (he overdoes it though).

Shoaib Akhtar bowls a lot of em and they are disguised with that huge grunt, for his pace that makes it hard work, but he misdirects them a lot so not that much value for em.

Steve Waugh perfected the art though. He was the best to watch with all those deliviries comign out of the back of the hand off cutters ,leg cutters pretty good at it.

I'd prefer if you said the 'best' slower ball.... coz having the slowest slower ball does not really add value to your variation...
It says best Slower ball bowler ;) sounds fine to me

V Reddy

International Debutant
I think the slower balls and the cutters that he is bowling now has affected Klusener's bowling. Earlier he didn't used to bowl those slower balls and used to have one of the best Strike Rates. I know he had an injury but i think he still should have stuck with fast medium. Now a days he is bowling 3 normal and 3 others. I think he should just bowl seam bowling instead of those.

Also Prasad used to have a very good slower ball. He picked up a lot of wickets with when he was at his peak.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Although S Waugh and Simon O Donell used to bowl a lot of slow balls, I think Walsh perfected the art of slow bowling.

The strangest slow ball I have seen has been to Greatbach by Aaqib Javed in WC92, the match before the semis I think, it was so slow that it almost bounced twice I think and was an off break. Greatbach was almost close to pleading to the umpire to declare it a dead ball :)

If we are talking change of pace, then A Roberts had a wicked 'faster' delivery disguised with a slow run up to the wicket. Also, I guess afridi also has that wicked faster ball, which he 'throws' in my opinion.

Top_Cat

I tell ya, the slower ball that Jimmy Anderson got Jayasuriya last night with would have been nigh on unpickable. If that wasn't a fluke, surely HIS would up there with the very best.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Top_Cat
I tell ya, the slower ball that Jimmy Anderson got Jayasuriya last night with would have been nigh on unpickable. If that wasn't a fluke, surely HIS would up there with the very best.
Yeah he's been impressive and I hope Lancashire play him in OD cricket next year, he could be a useful Test Bowler but at the moment he's impressing in ODIs. Its really good to see someone of his age performing on the International Stage.

Also I'd like to say Dilhara Fernando's (Sri Lanka) slower ball is a damn good one.

Kimbo

International Debutant
It was Jimmy Anderson's slower ball that prompted me to start this thread...
should've mentioned that earlier eh...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Sunil Havascar
It was Jimmy Anderson's slower ball that prompted me to start this thread...
should've mentioned that earlier eh...
Wow, then we've certainly unearthed someone good then :D I'd bet a lot of money that he was taught it at the academy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Tim
I haven't seen Cairns bowl many lately, but the two he gave to Chris Read & Graham Thorpe in 1999 were two of the best I have ever seen.
Mind you, he hasn't bowled many of any sort recently!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Shane Watson Bowled the best slower ball I have seen in ages to get Knight out.

It was the out of the back of the hand ball meaning the seam still spins upright so it has to be picked from the hand. That type of slower ball also bounces alot.

I would say its the best type of slower ball and the hardest variation to master so well done Watson.

masterblaster

International Captain
Venkatesh Prasad's slower ball was excellent, Chris Cairns was superb too.
Anderson bowled well, one for the future.

Simon

Originally posted by masterblaster
Venkatesh Prasad's slower ball was excellent, Chris Cairns was superb too.
Anderson bowled well, one for the future.
All of Prasad's balls were slower balls
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
When i think of a slower ball, i think of the one Chris Cairns gave Chris Read.

Chris Cairns was pretty much at the peak of his bowling during that England series.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The split finger slower ball was introduced to the one day game by Craig Mcdermott after advice from baseball pitchers. McDermot had a lot of trouble landing it though. They were nearly always full tosses though the Sro Lankans thought they were coming for the head and didn't play a shot. A couple of LBws occurred as they were hit on the full in front of the stumps. Fernando now bowls an excellent split finger slower ball. hard to pick as there is no change in action required.

The guys mentioned above using the back of the hand technique are all very good. Brett Lee's is the worst in world cricket. Easily.