• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC announce ODI law changes

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While the free hit rule favours the batsman incredibly, hopefully it leads to the bowlers starting to realise that they can't get away with no balls all the time. Morne Morkel and Dilhara Fernando are in trouble.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Will the ball change be that of a new ball, or just one of a similar age? It seems rather pointless if its the latter really - I like the system of just changing it if its hard to see.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Will the ball change be that of a new ball, or just one of a similar age? It seems rather pointless if its the latter really - I like the system of just changing it if its hard to see.
If it is a new ball, it also begs the question of whether there will be a choice for captains.

Lostman

State Captain
If its of similar age though, it might reverse swing anyway. In fact, it might even be harder to see than the original. Which makes it fairly pointless IMO.
it takes time to work on the ball to make it reverse, even if the ball is old it doesnt mean that would start reversing soon as it is taken in the 35th over.
As for the powerplay regulations, why couldnt it have just gone back to the old 15 overs?:wacko:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
it takes time to work on the ball to make it reverse, even if the ball is old it doesnt mean that would start reversing soon as it is taken in the 35th over.
Yes, but the 35-over old ball you get will have been worked on as well...

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
What's the point of replacing it with another 35-over ball--one that was probably replaced by another 35-over ball, etc.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Another cricket news source whose name is not quite officially spoken said:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/300313.html

Another modification was that there will now be a mandatory change of ball after 35 overs of each innings and the replacement will be a clean used ball. Franklin said that was a good idea and would mean reverse-swing did not become an issue in the final overs.
Not quite sure how you manufacture a clean, used ball, but presumably you take honest men and let them bowl 35 overs. :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Who cares whatever the rules are. I am not interested enough to read them till some match I might sit to watch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not quite sure how you manufacture a clean, used ball, but presumably you take honest men and let them bowl 35 overs. :p
Assuming that is true, I think it's an awful modication, myself. How exactly has reverse swing become a problem? I think the increasing appearance of it has been great in ODI cricket as it has made the death overs less predictable.

I don't particularly like the no-ball rule either, as I personally don't believe it will do what many are suggesting. The argument for it is the chance that bowlers will work harder at fixing their no-ball problems and hence produce better cricket. However, IMO, the current laws act as enough of a detterent to create that anyway - bowlers with perisistent no ball problems do not have them because they can't be bothered fixing them, but simply because fixing them is easier said than done in their cases. Hence, the only likely outcomes is worse cricket...bowlers who were international standard before this rule will be now below par and replaced by other bowlers who will not actually be better overall, but simply better in comparison to the others.

Poor changes IMO, on both parts. Not as radical as the supersub rule, but much worse IMO.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming that is true, I think it's an awful modication, myself. How exactly has reverse swing become a problem? I think the increasing appearance of it has been great in ODI cricket as it has made the death overs less predictable.

I don't particularly like the no-ball rule either, as I personally don't believe it will do what many are suggesting. The argument for it is the chance that bowlers will work harder at fixing their no-ball problems and hence produce better cricket. However, IMO, the current laws act as enough of a detterent to create that anyway - bowlers with perisistent no ball problems do not have them because they can't be bothered fixing them, but simply because fixing them is easier said than done in their cases. Hence, the only likely outcomes is worse cricket...bowlers who were international standard before this rule will be now below par and replaced by other bowlers who will not actually be better overall, but simply better in comparison to the others.

Poor changes IMO, on both parts. Not as radical as the supersub rule, but much worse IMO.
Agree with the whole post, but most especially that point. The way that Cricinfo article is phrased, it sounds as if reverse-swing is a blight on the game. Bowlers getting wickets!? Never!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was nice to read a piece in Wisden a few years back where, apparently, Kookaburra refused to even attempt to manufacture such a ball, in response to a request from on high which was blatantly saying "bowlers are getting too much help" (and this, remember, was in 2004 sort of time - as if!)

Let's hope this nonsense is revealed for what it is. Mandatory ball-change? What utter crap.

Like the other two, though, I have to say. I've always said free-hit rulings help bowlers rather than batsmen, because discouragement from bowling no-balls is badly needed by most bowlers. If it's used on the highest stage of all (that is, obviously, excluding the long-form game) maybe it'll be high-profile enough get people actually thinking about it. Hopefully this is last we'll see of spinners bowling no-balls! :happy:

And any ruling that relaxes field-restrictions tends to be a good one IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My post was to emphasise the fairly less importance of ODIs to a section of fans like myself. Obviously you didn't get it and yet, needed to make a smart ass remark.
And in attempting to take a hypothetical question literally, he failed to even do that - as you asked who and not how many.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My post was to emphasise the fairly less importance of ODIs to a section of fans like myself. Obviously you didn't get it and yet, needed to make a smart ass remark.
It was nothing but a tit-for-tat, and I'm surprised you didn't notice it. It'd have been more accurate to say "I don't care" rather than "who cares" which suggests most people don't.