Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICC announce ODI law changes

ICC announce ODI law changes

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    While the free hit rule favours the batsman incredibly, hopefully it leads to the bowlers starting to realise that they can't get away with no balls all the time. Morne Morkel and Dilhara Fernando are in trouble.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Will the ball change be that of a new ball, or just one of a similar age? It seems rather pointless if its the latter really - I like the system of just changing it if its hard to see.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

similar age ball, no more reverse swing in odi cricket.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    similar age ball, no more reverse swing in odi cricket.
    If its of similar age though, it might reverse swing anyway. In fact, it might even be harder to see than the original. Which makes it fairly pointless IMO.

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Will the ball change be that of a new ball, or just one of a similar age? It seems rather pointless if its the latter really - I like the system of just changing it if its hard to see.
    If it is a new ball, it also begs the question of whether there will be a choice for captains.

Hmm, all I have to say is ...

If its of similar age though, it might reverse swing anyway. In fact, it might even be harder to see than the original. Which makes it fairly pointless IMO.
    it takes time to work on the ball to make it reverse, even if the ball is old it doesnt mean that would start reversing soon as it is taken in the 35th over.
    As for the powerplay regulations, why couldnt it have just gone back to the old 15 overs?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    it takes time to work on the ball to make it reverse, even if the ball is old it doesnt mean that would start reversing soon as it is taken in the 35th over.
    Yes, but the 35-over old ball you get will have been worked on as well...

What's the point of replacing it with another 35-over ball--one that was probably replaced by another 35-over ball, etc.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Another cricket news source whose name is not quite officially spoken
    http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/co...ry/300313.html

Another modification was that there will now be a mandatory change of ball after 35 overs of each innings and the replacement will be a clean used ball. Franklin said that was a good idea and would mean reverse-swing did not become an issue in the final overs.
    Not quite sure how you manufacture a clean, used ball, but presumably you take honest men and let them bowl 35 overs.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Great lets make ODI cricket even more dire

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Who cares whatever the rules are. I am not interested enough to read them till some match I might sit to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Not quite sure how you manufacture a clean, used ball, but presumably you take honest men and let them bowl 35 overs.
    Assuming that is true, I think it's an awful modication, myself. How exactly has reverse swing become a problem? I think the increasing appearance of it has been great in ODI cricket as it has made the death overs less predictable.

I don't particularly like the no-ball rule either, as I personally don't believe it will do what many are suggesting. The argument for it is the chance that bowlers will work harder at fixing their no-ball problems and hence produce better cricket. However, IMO, the current laws act as enough of a detterent to create that anyway - bowlers with perisistent no ball problems do not have them because they can't be bothered fixing them, but simply because fixing them is easier said than done in their cases. Hence, the only likely outcomes is worse cricket...bowlers who were international standard before this rule will be now below par and replaced by other bowlers who will not actually be better overall, but simply better in comparison to the others.

Poor changes IMO, on both parts. Not as radical as the supersub rule, but much worse IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Assuming that is true, I think it's an awful modication, myself. How exactly has reverse swing become a problem? I think the increasing appearance of it has been great in ODI cricket as it has made the death overs less predictable.

I don't particularly like the no-ball rule either, as I personally don't believe it will do what many are suggesting. The argument for it is the chance that bowlers will work harder at fixing their no-ball problems and hence produce better cricket. However, IMO, the current laws act as enough of a detterent to create that anyway - bowlers with perisistent no ball problems do not have them because they can't be bothered fixing them, but simply because fixing them is easier said than done in their cases. Hence, the only likely outcomes is worse cricket...bowlers who were international standard before this rule will be now below par and replaced by other bowlers who will not actually be better overall, but simply better in comparison to the others.

Poor changes IMO, on both parts. Not as radical as the supersub rule, but much worse IMO.
    Agree with the whole post, but most especially that point. The way that Cricinfo article is phrased, it sounds as if reverse-swing is a blight on the game. Bowlers getting wickets!? Never!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information