• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC announce ODI law changes

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed. Fortunately they decided against similar recommendations a little earlier to introduce that ludicrous appeals-against-Umpiring-decisions regulation.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed. Fortunately they decided against similar recommendations a little earlier to introduce that ludicrous appeals-against-Umpiring-decisions regulation.
Don't see what's wrong with that tbh.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm glad that the batting side hasn't got their hands on a powerplay. That would be even less exciting than the fielding side controlling their use.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Aye, I am all for challenging the umpires, and reducing their authority on the field as much as possible. There is no logical decision why an umpire's decision should be final, as if he never makes mistakes, a mistake that can cost a Test series or careers of players. Cricket is no longer a game of amateurs. A lot of people's livelihoods are at stake, not to mention the fairness of the game. Let's get the decisions right, and not pander to some old fashion notion about umpires.

In my ideal world, umpires should be there to hold the sweater and caps of the bowlers, and making sure the game is going along fine. Both sides should have the right to refer any and all the decisions to the third umpire (limit two per side per innings, and if both challenges are successful, you get a third). Make it so that there has to be 'incontrovertible evidence' to overrule the umpires on the field. So if its a close call, whatever the umpire decided on the field stays. Same system as American football really.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, I am all for challenging the umpires, and reducing their authority on the field as much as possible. There is no logical decision why an umpire's decision should be final, as if he never makes mistakes, a mistake that can cost a Test series or careers of players. Cricket is no longer a game of amateurs. A lot of people's livelihoods are at stake, not to mention the fairness of the game. Let's get the decisions right, and not pander to some old fashion notion about umpires.
And as I said at the time... :dry:

It's perfectly possible to do that without this appeals nonsense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm glad that the batting side hasn't got their hands on a powerplay. That would be even less exciting than the fielding side controlling their use.
Abso-bloody-lutely. Though I've always felt that the fielding side controlling them had some potential, if captains were creative and imaginative.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Not quite sure how you manufacture a clean, used ball, but presumably you take honest men and let them bowl 35 overs. :p
I believe they give a set of white balls to some youth players or someone in an indoor net session so the ball gets worn but stays relatively clean.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain

In my ideal world, umpires should be there to hold the sweater and caps of the bowlers, and making sure the game is going along fine. Both sides should have the right to refer any and all the decisions to the third umpire (limit two per side per innings, and if both challenges are successful, you get a third). Make it so that there has to be 'incontrovertible evidence' to overrule the umpires on the field. So if its a close call, whatever the umpire decided on the field stays. Same system as American football really.
Agreed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I believe they give a set of white balls to some youth players or someone in an indoor net session so the ball gets worn but stays relatively clean.
Exactly. Most balls that are kept spare aren't actually used in matches, they're just used in the nets.

andmark

International Captain
While the free hit rule favours the batsman incredibly, hopefully it leads to the bowlers starting to realise that they can't get away with no balls all the time. Morne Morkel and Dilhara Fernando are in trouble.
I'm surprised bowlers don't do a Yorker.