• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Social Condition

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You thought my post might be seemed as racist?. :blink:
In joke referring to Richard's shady past.
Poor, even for you. :dry:

Yes, Liam, that post opened-up some old, and very bad, wounds, of the time a year and a bit ago when I seemingly completely lost my mind and, without thinking about how something I said could be construed, said something which the person it was aimed at took - quite understandibly given the terrible way the thing was said - as an accusation of racism. The subject in question was very similar - Asians and the stereotype of them as good spinners.

There were several other factors, too, that exacerbated the whole thing. Fortunately, the person in question, Matt Pitt (Barney Rubble for those who don't know) is an understanding lad and forgave me unreservedly after the two of us chatted on the matter. These days, we can - usually - laugh about the thing.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Poor, even for you. :dry:

Yes, Liam, that post opened-up some old, and very bad, wounds, of the time a year and a bit ago when I seemingly completely lost my mind and, without thinking about how something I said could be construed, said something which the person it was aimed at took - quite understandibly given the terrible way the thing was said - as an accusation of racism. The subject in question was very similar - Asians and the stereotype of them as good spinners.

There were several other factors, too, that exacerbated the whole thing. Fortunately, the person in question, Matt Pitt (Barney Rubble for those who don't know) is an understanding lad and forgave me unreservedly after the two of us chatted on the matter. These days, we can - usually - laugh about the thing.
That was my restrained response. I was considering getting a KKK picture out but decided it was possibly tasteless.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
When I posted what I said i couldn't care less if the spinner was Chinese, African, Asian, Australian etc, etc. I just meant to comment on how particulary Asian spinners can be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was my restrained response. I was considering getting a KKK picture out but decided it was possibly tasteless.
Had that been the case, the Rolleyes would have been the only recourse. And don't think I'd have been the only one. :@

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In joke referring to Richard's shady past.

England welcomes anyone who wants to represent them if they're good - but the moment they fail, forget it. Witness Andy Murray, British Davis Cup hero to whingeing Scottish injury magnet. Don't know why we knocked down Hadrian's Wall in the first place.
Ha, very true. Barry McGuigan entered the ring as our great British world champion & after his defeat left it the unfortunate Irishman. Same with Hargreaves now he's turned out to be less than a complete pile of plop; the references to his Canadian/German-ness have decreased proportionately as his value to England has grown.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When I posted what I said i couldn't care less if the spinner was Chinese, African, Asian, Australian etc, etc. I just meant to comment on how particulary Asian spinners can be.
I hope everyone knows what you meant - I certainly did. :) The hypothetical situation had you as me, in any case - ie, throwing around unfounded accusations, rather than being the one actually being racist.

As I say - I was no more than messing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about scoailly? In the greater schemes of everything, are non-English background players 'welcome'?

I've been told in Australian grade cricket - the next step upto first-class cricket, certain stigmas have been attached to players of non-Anglo background.

Also, with England, the terrorist attacks, has their been a backlash against the Asian community? I'm Indian-Australian and a Muslim too, things such as these can't help to have a stigma attached to themselves.
Can't agree with that, tbh. The grade comps are fed from the junior cricket associations and my experience from playing for 30+ years and administration of nearly 10 is that if you're good enough you'll be picked. In our association there are players from nearly every imaginable background. Same for our club actually, and I can honestly say the happiest thing for me as president of the club is that we're completely and utterly colour-blind.

However, if you want to talk about the underlying racisim in Australia in general, and our ability to single out people from certain backgrounds for special "attention", I'd sadly have to agree with you.