• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

15 000 ODI Runs - Sachin Tendulkar

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As long as player x helps his team win, it doesn't matter if he scores 20, 50, 90 or 900.
On a personal level I am sure that a batsman would be happier with a match winning 90 than a match winning 20.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On a personal level I am sure that a batsman would be happier with a match winning 90 than a match winning 20.
If he does his job, he would be happy. End off. Each person has different roles in different matches and match scenarios.

Perm

If he does his job, he would be happy. End off. Each person has different roles in different matches and match scenarios.
I'm not disputing that at all, but ask any batsman whether they would prefer a score of 90 or 20 and every single one of them would say 90, unless they are insane.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I'm sure that's the case, but he would be a little disappointed if he scored ten 90's in a row and converted none of them into centuries when presumably he had the chance to.
Wasn't it Gavaskar who once said, "I have this bad habit of getting out in the 190's". Maybe I completely destroyed this quote. ;P

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A six can be more satisfying and important than a 900. Lanka made 952 versus India. Javed Miandad hit a six off the last ball and won the match. Take your pic Perm, Sohum. A sane batsman can pick a 20 over a 90 in many scenarios. Just ask Klusener and he will tell you how some of his lower scores at terrific strike rates (doing his role to perfection) were way more satisfying for him. It is not an insane thing at all.

Last edited:

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
A six can be more satisfying and important than a 900. Lanka made 952 versus India. Javed Miandad hit a six off the last ball and won the match. Take your pic.
I think Miandad would take a 900 not out rather than that last ball six, but maybe not if Pakistan still ended up losing.

Perm

A six can be more satisfying and important than a 900. Lanka made 952 versus India. Javed Miandad hit a six off the last ball and won the match. Take your pic.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying, I am talking about how many runs one batsman scores.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I think that'd apply more to Younis Khan or Mohammed Yousuf TBH.
Well, a century in ODI cricket is a feat in itself, I feel. Centuries are not easy to get especially on a pitch which has something for everyone, because you have to be pressing for a high score at all times. I think Tendulkar would have gained more satisfaction from a victory here than a 100, although if he made it a habit, it would probably make him quite a bit annoyed.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have explained regarding one batsman as well Perm.

Just ask Klusener and he will tell you how some of his lower scores at terrific strike rates (doing his role to perfection) were way more satisfying for him. It is not an insane thing at all.

It all depends on the context of a match and how one contributes relative to the match at hand.

And Sohum, don't think Miandad would trade that six for even 90,000.

Last edited:

Perm

Well, a century in ODI cricket is a feat in itself, I feel. Centuries are not easy to get especially on a pitch which has something for everyone, because you have to be pressing for a high score at all times. I think Tendulkar would have gained more satisfaction from a victory here than a 100, although if he made it a habit, it would probably make him quite a bit annoyed.
Exactly, I think every batsman other than the most selfish ones would prefer a 90 in a winning cause than a century for the losing side. However if Tendulkar did continue to score lots of 90's then he would more than likely be frustrated by this.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I have explained regarding one batsman as well Perm. And Sohum, don't think Miandad would trade that six for even 90,000.
Come now, a 90,000 in one innings? What if it came against India? Surely the least stats-whoric of batsmen would even take that?

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Exactly, I think every batsman other than the most selfish ones would prefer a 90 in a winning cause than a century for the losing side. However if Tendulkar did continue to score lots of 90's then he would more than likely be frustrated by this.
He probably took a lot of heart from the fact that he basically got himself out today. A century and anything more was there for his taking but he tried to get a little too cheeky off Tshabalala. He must know that any other day of the week, a big century would have been on the cards.

Perm

I have explained regarding one batsman as well Perm. And Sohum, don't think Miandad would trade that six for even 90,000.
No, you haven't. You completely missed my point about one batsman and one innings. You referred to Miandad's six and then compared it to a team total of 952.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, you haven't. You completely missed my point about one batsman and one innings. You referred to Miandad's six and then compared it to a team total of 952.
Untrue. Posted it in the earlier post and have reposted it in the new post as well. For the third time:

Just ask Klusener and he will tell you how some of his lower scores at terrific strike rates (doing his role to perfection) were way more satisfying for him. It is not an insane thing at all.

It all depends on the context of a match and how one contributes relative to the match at hand.