• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Richard Johnson have been included in the World Cup 30?

Andre

International Regular
i think he should have, looking at some of the other players there

[Edited on 16/12/2002 by Andre]

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Johnson and injuries

I can only assume that injury which has afflicted Johnson counted against him. He would've been fit for the World CUp but looking at England's current injury plight, it seems to have been the right choice.
However, when fit, he's a superb bowler and one England seem determined to overlook.

John Fuller
Editor, Somerset Talk:ninja:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im not sure of the 30, but surely he is better than Harmison if he is in it.

Sorry I have to have my daily Harmison moan..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What exactly do you have against Harmison?

From reports I've heard, he impressed the Aussies.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:

From reports I've heard, he impressed the Aussies.
Only because they had a feast whenever he started bowling.

I just think its a bit of an insult to guys like Johnson and Mullally who bowl accurately with experience and cant get an England place because of the fact they arent 21.
England should be playing for TODAY and not for ten years time.

Maybe I havent seen him enough, but im yet to be impressed by his wonky action and constant short-of-a-length bowling. He reminds me of a white Devon Malcolm who does not take as many wickets.

I hope (Like Key) that he proves me wrong though!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Although Johnson is a fine FC Bowler...his OD stats are not as impressive. Averaging around 30 with the ball or something. That's probably why.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh Stevie Harmison, you proved me right! You cannot bowl!
How many wides was that in the one over? How many drop catches? Pity because there is a lot of fast bowling talent in England at the moment.

I am waiting to be impressed.

Anderson on the other hand, does look good, very fluid action. Reminds me of Gillespie a bit.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Anderson - Class.
Harmison - Class dismissed (as opposed to any batsmen any time soon).

Johnson could have had a chance in tests at some stage but isn't that great IMO. I think there are other players above him who might have expected or at least hoped for a place in that 30.