• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Afridi be in or out?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
56 Ms -- 1059 runs @ 23.53 avg -- 69 wkts @ 27.46 avg

Thats Afridi's record since Jan 2003 which I think is quite impressive for a bowling all-rounder
If we were going to be looking at Afridi's record from the start of 2003 then that would be two and a half years, I was looking at his record from 2 years ago until now.

deeps

International 12th Man
Indeed, but only if he was actually selected as one. He often occupies the position of a batsman (or a batting allrounder at times), disturbing the team balance. If people recognised him as a one day bowler who can hit out a bit, it'd be fine - but his claim to fame is his quick scoring with the bat and he's even been selected for such.
I think his batting is worth the risk imo for ODI's. People have been saying a quick 25 off about 13 balls isn't worth much, it's worth truckloads in an ODI. I've seen him win many matches for Pakistan with his batting alone, in situations where it looked like they were no chance.

One match I remember in particular. Irfan Pathan had bowled brilliantly, picked up 2/3 wickets, VERY economical, something like 2 an over and had bowled 7 overs or so. Pakistan needed 40 odd runs off 24 or so deliveries. Afridi hit one Pathan over for about 20 odd runs, making the equation 20 off 18 deliveries. Needless to say, Pakistan won that game, with a few deliveries in hand, Pathans bowling figures were wrecked.

There's not many players in the world that can consistently hit 18+ off an over when required.

His bowling is his strong suite, (He was selected as a bowler when he first came into the Pakistan side way back), his batting is a bonus. When he is on fire though with the bat, there is NOT ONE batsman in the world as destructive as him. People say Jayasuriya, Gilchrist, Dhoni etc. These guys are nothing when Afridi is on fire. He not only destroys the bowling, but he destroy's the bowlers confidence.

His fielding is also brilliant.

To put it simply, he is a match winner, he can win matches with bat,ball or even fieldin. Pick him as a bowler, who bats a bit (Shaun Pollock), bat him at 7 (where he prefers to bat anyway).

Last two matches he played, one he made 70 odd off about 30 deliveries and won Pakistan the match, and then he took 3 wickets for very few runs in his other match and was a key factor in winnin the match again. Man of the Match award in both matches, and then was rested for the last match. That shows the match winning prowess of the man.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Indeed, but only if he was actually selected as one. He often occupies the position of a batsman (or a batting allrounder at times), disturbing the team balance. If people recognised him as a one day bowler who can hit out a bit, it'd be fine - but his claim to fame is his quick scoring with the bat and he's even been selected for such.
In Woolmer's tenure he played as one but the dire openers meant he was required to open from time to time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think his batting is worth the risk imo for ODI's. People have been saying a quick 25 off about 13 balls isn't worth much, it's worth truckloads in an ODI. I've seen him win many matches for Pakistan with his batting alone, in situations where it looked like they were no chance.

One match I remember in particular. Irfan Pathan had bowled brilliantly, picked up 2/3 wickets, VERY economical, something like 2 an over and had bowled 7 overs or so. Pakistan needed 40 odd runs off 24 or so deliveries. Afridi hit one Pathan over for about 20 odd runs, making the equation 20 off 18 deliveries. Needless to say, Pakistan won that game, with a few deliveries in hand, Pathans bowling figures were wrecked.
That was in an exceptionally low-scoring game. In most games, such an innings is fairly worthless.

And it was 15 off the over, BTW.
There's not many players in the world that can consistently hit 18+ off an over when required.

His bowling is his strong suite, (He was selected as a bowler when he first came into the Pakistan side way back), his batting is a bonus. When he is on fire though with the bat, there is NOT ONE batsman in the world as destructive as him.
There are countless hundreds, plying their trade as jokey sloggers in cricket leagues all around The World. Most of them, however, are rightly not taken remotely seriously.
His fielding is also brilliant.
No, it's just fairly good by Pakistani standards.

Xuhaib

International Coach
been hearing rumours that Afridi does not want Whatmore as the coach since he is a hard-taskmaster.

Who the hell is he to interfere in the selection of the coach.

deeps

International 12th Man
been hearing rumours that Afridi does not want Whatmore as the coach since he is a hard-taskmaster.

Who the hell is he to interfere in the selection of the coach.
Source? Back up your claims, or don't make them at all. i can make Unsubstantiated claims too

Fusion

Global Moderator
If that's true, and that's a big if obviously, then I would expect the Chairman of PCB to hold a conversation with Afridi and Yousaf and let them know in no uncertain terms that they need to shut-up. They need to be told to concentrate on their cricket and not interfere with the hiring of the coach. And once the coach is hired, they better accept it and cooperate or they should be simply kicked out of the team. After the WC debacle, I can't see how ANY Pakistani player has the balls to complain/interfere about the hiring of the new coach.