• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick closer to England return

iamdavid

International Debutant
Good news especially for Englands one day prospects, and the way Strauss batted against West Indies can see a test spot opening for him without too much difficulty aswell.

Spose now he just has to convince himself and the selectors he wont go loopy again if things go pear shaped.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
A heroic return for the twenty20 world cup?
Code:
               Mat  Inns   NO   Runs   HS   Ave   BF   SR   100   50       
Twenty20        7      7    0   286    72  40.85 204 140.19  0     3

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's crucial for their one day set up. Providing the likes of Trott and Masc's perform even remotely close to how they've done in List A cricket thus far and Flintoff plays more regularly, Trescothick's return could actually spark England into being a decent one day team.

I don't think he's particularly required in the test arena really - he's undoubtedly a good test batsman, but I don't see any need to bring him back at the moment really.. he's not significantly better than Strauss (despite what his recent form will tell you) and I certainly wouldn't drop Cook for him. Given his other problems, I'd leave him out of the test side for now.

Either way, great to see he's overcoming whatever was troubling him and is close to a return.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here's a question:

How often have Trescothick, Pietersen and Flintoff played together in ODIs?

Hoole Seal

Cricket Spectator
I'm guessing never. Certainly very few times.

If Tres keep's up good form and can make it through next winter with the Lion's, and probably the one day side, he may push for a Test recall. Doubt he'll play against India though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm guessing never. Certainly very few times.
Virtually never. Very briefly in the summer of 2005 against Australia and in the next series afterwards against Pakistan. After that, one or more has always been absent.

And I've never been able to shake the feeling that having all three in the same line-up could easily disguise the inefficiencies of Strauss, Vaughan, Collingwood, Bell, Geraint Jones, or any other ineffective batsman they happened to pick.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speaking of Tresco he just 4 sixes and a two in 5 balls against a slow left armer in the Twenty20.

And two more sixes this next over before hitting a full toss to a fielder - 6 sixes in 8 balls in all.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Not very much maybe that's a reason why England have been so dire in one dayers. Because many of there players are out.
Exactly - too bad they you blokes haven't had a fully fit team for around 15 years.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Some kid got smacked for 43 of 2 overs, sounds a bit like Neil's bowling analysis once......

Richard you were playing IIRC?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, and it wasn't quite that bad - 3-48-0.

It's not the end of The World in a Twenty20 game though - in a 45-over game it was far more poor.