• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick closer to England return

gio

U19 Cricketer
No, actually, it's something I've been saying throughout Collingwood's career. I know what I'm on about too - though naturally you're never going to accept that a Durham player is less than what he seems.

The truth is, Collingwood's rarely done a great deal of note in his ODI career. He's a very, very good substandard-side-basher, and undoubtedly he's played the odd real gem of an innings (the 3 consecutive knocks at the end of the CB Series being quite magnificent and obviously the highlight of his ODI career).

However, these occasional gems and the fact that substandard sides are considered ODI-playing have tended to obscure the fact that he's not really done that much of note. He had a short good period at a similar time 4 years ago - at the end of the then VB Series - and he had a few good innings in a row in India in early 2006.

Aside from that, though, his ODI career has contained virtually nothing of note.
If you take away his performances against Zim, Banga, Ireland etc., his average would probably sit around 30 +/- 1. He's shown recently, however, that he can play match winning innings. Lets hope the captaincy can bring those performances out on a more regular basis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's always been able to play match-turning innings, even if, as I say, those "big three" were a bit sensational by any standard.

Since then, though, he's gone right back down again in the World Cup. As he did in 2002\03.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you take away his performances against Zim, Banga, Ireland etc., his average would probably sit around 30 +/- 1. He's shown recently, however, that he can play match winning innings. Lets hope the captaincy can bring those performances out on a more regular basis.
29.96 for his batting and 42.45 for his bowling. Those are his averages with Bangladesh, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, Namibia, Netherlands and Zimbabwe removed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That was yet another Richard's snap judgements yonks ago, so because he's obviously never wrong with his peerless FC stats analysis and his few seconds of real life footage he keeps going with it even today.

Even I would let up on Panesar if he genuinely bowled India out in the upcoming series.
Quoted for posterity :D

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hoping Tresco returns soon. One of my favourite English players...probably second behind Bell. In my mind, easily England's best ODI player.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Hoping Tresco returns soon. One of my favourite English players...probably second behind Bell. In my mind, easily England's best ODI player.
Yup, loved watching him bat... he makes it look so simple sometimes. Great seemingly effortless cover-drives. All the best to his return (which surely must be soon... he's easily the best ODI player with KP).

A few ODIs would be ideal to get him back into the swing of it.