• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick closer to England return

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So just 9 when you knock-out formalities against Bangladesh... all bar 2 in said summer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How on earth did you find that out?
Well, I checked on cricinfo to see the date Pietersen made his ODI debut, then StatsGuru'd Trescothick's career for matches after that date. It was a relatively small number - 31 - so I checked each of those matches manually to see which of them involved all three players. I did skip the Sri Lanka series as I distinctly remembered Flintoff missing it, mind, so that'd leave 26 manual checks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, I checked on cricinfo to see the date Pietersen made his ODI debut, then StatsGuru'd Trescothick's career for matches after that date. It was a relatively small number - 31 - so I checked each of those matches manually to see which of them involved all three players. I did skip the Sri Lanka series as I distinctly remembered Flintoff missing it, mind, so that'd leave 26 manual checks.
I'm astonished Trescothick's played as many as 31 ODIs since June 2005. :blink:

EDIT: he's played 24, 4 of which were against Bangladesh or Ireland. :p Where did you get 31 from?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen missed the last 3 - he was replaced by Solanki.
Don't know how I managed to forget that, really, I'm usually good at remembering things like that...

That was hardly the most inspirational of ODI series, I suppose, and I didn't follow that tour quite as I've followed most others.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hoho. I forgot about that SA series. 'Twas because Flintoff missed that, too, that the confusion comes.

Either way - the central point, I suppose, is this:

After never missing a single serious ODI (was rested for the meaningless Zimbabwe tour of 2004\05) until the end of 2005, Trescothick has played 8 and missed 26 since;

Since his emergence as a serious ODI proposition (I'd say the winter of 2001\02) Flintoff has had 3 lengthy spells on the sidelines (winter 2002\03, winter 2004\05 and summer 2006), with another now possibly in the pipeline;

Even Pietersen has missed 16 games since his debut.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Virtually never. Very briefly in the summer of 2005 against Australia and in the next series afterwards against Pakistan. After that, one or more has always been absent.

And I've never been able to shake the feeling that having all three in the same line-up could easily disguise the inefficiencies of Strauss, Vaughan, Collingwood, Bell, Geraint Jones, or any other ineffective batsman they happened to pick.
I wouldn't call Collingwood an ineffective ODI batsman.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't call Collingwood an ineffective ODI batsman.
That was yet another Richard's snap judgements yonks ago, so because he's obviously never wrong with his peerless FC stats analysis and his few seconds of real life footage he keeps going with it even today.

Even I would let up on Panesar if he genuinely bowled India out in the upcoming series.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Collingwood wouldn't make the best OD line-ups in the world, but for England, he does a job.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was yet another Richard's snap judgements yonks ago
No, actually, it's something I've been saying throughout Collingwood's career. I know what I'm on about too - though naturally you're never going to accept that a Durham player is less than what he seems.

The truth is, Collingwood's rarely done a great deal of note in his ODI career. He's a very, very good substandard-side-basher, and undoubtedly he's played the odd real gem of an innings (the 3 consecutive knocks at the end of the CB Series being quite magnificent and obviously the highlight of his ODI career).

However, these occasional gems and the fact that substandard sides are considered ODI-playing have tended to obscure the fact that he's not really done that much of note. He had a short good period at a similar time 4 years ago - at the end of the then VB Series - and he had a few good innings in a row in India in early 2006.

Aside from that, though, his ODI career has contained virtually nothing of note.