• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Limiting Overseas Players on Local Cricket Leagues

Back2Basics

Cricket Spectator
Seeing as counties will soon revert back to playing one overseas player at any one time from the 2008 season, I was wondering what other peoples view was regarding this rule in local cricket leagues? (Not county league, just local cricket leagues)

I know some leagues have rules in place where by one, sometimes two overseas players can register and play for any club any one time. Whereas other leagues have no limit on how many overseas players can play for a club.
My personal view on this matter is that just like in county cricket, there should be a limit on how many a club can play or register during a season. The reason behind this is that where clubs play more than one overseas player, the whole spirt of a team game goes out of the window as teams like this rely heavily on the overseas players. The homegrown players don’t really have an input on the game.

What are your views on this matter?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm, our club has an Australian import, and he has done nothing but good for the club. He has helped our 1st XI actually win matches, although they he has had a fair few bad decisions, with his batting, bowling, fielding and general enthusiasm for the game. Apart from being a bloody good player, he has also helped the youth developement of the club, helping with the u-13s,15s and 17s training, as well as the girls (:naughty:), and it wouldn't bother me at all if we had more than one.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
No limits on overseas players? Never seen that before, its just one per club in Cheshire I think.

From my (admittedly limited experience) I only think it works properly with the premier leagues and possibly the first division. After that, most sides are just village teams. I guy I play midweek cricket ran into some Pakistani, fresh off the plane from Lahore, first game of the season - he racked up 180-ish in no time. So long as the overseas player doesn't become all-powerful, it's definitely worth it. Once he dominates too much, it wrecks the game.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Hehe, I don't think that overseas professionals routinely become omnipotent while playing cricket for a club :p

1-9-7-7

International Regular
Seeing as counties will soon revert back to playing one overseas player at any one time from the 2008 season, I was wondering what other peoples view was regarding this rule in local cricket leagues? (Not county league, just local cricket leagues)

I know some leagues have rules in place where by one, sometimes two overseas players can register and play for any club any one time. Whereas other leagues have no limit on how many overseas players can play for a club.
My personal view on this matter is that just like in county cricket, there should be a limit on how many a club can play or register during a season. The reason behind this is that where clubs play more than one overseas player, the whole spirt of a team game goes out of the window as teams like this rely heavily on the overseas players. The homegrown players don’t really have an input on the game.

What are your views on this matter?

One only?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yelverton's overseas player made 164 the other week in E Division West... Dunsford weren't too happy. Kingskerswell (same division) have signed former Leeward Islands batsman Sergio Fedee.

This is the Division below the one I played in two weeks ago.

It's getting silly in places.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd guess the finances of most clubs all but restrict them to one anyway.
All very well for the rest of the UK - the issue in London is the volume of Gap Year/travellers in and around the area wanting games and turning out in bulk for 2nd/3rd XI sides beyond the Premierleague limits.

Isura

U19 Captain
Hmm, our club has an Australian import, and he has done nothing but good for the club. He has helped our 1st XI actually win matches, although they he has had a fair few bad decisions, with his batting, bowling, fielding and general enthusiasm for the game. Apart from being a bloody good player, he has also helped the youth developement of the club, helping with the u-13s,15s and 17s training, as well as the girls (:naughty:), and it wouldn't bother me at all if we had more than one.
This has been my experience as well. Our overseas player is really a mentor to the younger players. He raises the standard for our club, and he helps to install good practice habits that will benefit us when he's long gone. Our league has a rule of 2 overseas players, but doesn't mean you can't have more if your club supports multiple playing XI's.

Back2Basics

Cricket Spectator
No limits on overseas players? Never seen that before, its just one per club in Cheshire I think.

From my (admittedly limited experience) I only think it works properly with the premier leagues and possibly the first division. After that, most sides are just village teams. I guy I play midweek cricket ran into some Pakistani, fresh off the plane from Lahore, first game of the season - he racked up 180-ish in no time. So long as the overseas player doesn't become all-powerful, it's definitely worth it. Once he dominates too much, it wrecks the game.
What was his name?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well there was this bloke some club near us, about 10 years ago, and he played a fair few FC games, and hit 15 100s in the season matches, and ended up scoring some ridiculous amount of runs. I don't really think that people like that should be allowed to play for such a low club for various reasons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As Neil said - proper overseas players who do the full job are all good. The problem is with Aussie and Kiwi lads, whether on Gap-years or not, who do a few bits and pieces here and there and get a bit of cash in a brown envelope for it.

Nothing against Aussie and Kiwi lads in itself that is, but there are plenty of people who know how to milk the English club system for all they can.

DCC_legend

International Regular
My Club has a South African and he's pretty good, although he's not a professional (as far as i'm aware) he's still counted as an overseas player.

Bangor Cricket Club has a sri lankan professional who helps out coaching the U12s - U17s and also helps out at my school sometimes. He's pretty good tbh.

Yasas Tillakaratne.