• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Set

shanehodson

Cricket Spectator
I am interested in trying out cricket (I have never even seen it played before and only learned about it online) and am looking to buy a set with some of the basic equipment needed for the game. I don't really want to spend that much, just enough to see if I like it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I live in the US.

Thanks

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well in England, you can get a cheap cricket set for £15 about $35 IIRC, from pretty much any sports shop.

If you want a mess about and are just starting out, then all you really need is a bat and a tennis ball. I'm sure that you could buy some cheap bat off eBay or something.

shanehodson

Cricket Spectator
I don't know much, but it seems that softball cricket is good for beginners (a tennis ball can be used, right?) What do you think of the bat on ebay above just to start out with?

Isura

U19 Captain
Are all softball bats of a standard size?
They may have a slightly thinner blade face (depends on the rules if you play competitive softball cricket). Softball cricket is a great way to learn, and it is cheap and can play almost anywhere. One thing though, a tennis ball isn't the best option. Try to get a soft cricket ball, which has a tennis ball finish, but it is heavier and less bouncy. Or just tape a tennis ball with electrical tape :)