• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Billy Bates

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is it childish? If I went to the board of the company I worked for with 'realiZation' in the document rather than 'realisation' they would reject the document, so I'm just rejecting it one stage early. Frankly, you don't know anything about my job so I care little for you judging how I manage my own staff thank-you-very-much.
Scathing.

Fiery

Banned
Good idea that. Unfortunately, the problem is more at work when I'm using documents that other people have written. I've also had to reject other people's work plenty of times because they'd used 'z' rather than 's'. Frankly, MS Word should default to the computer's local country code automatically rather than assuming that a computer in NZ would want to be set to 'US' language.
That's kinda childish.
:laugh: Don't ya just love being told you're being "childish" by 14 years olds. I get it all the time from Perm too

HeathDavisSpeed

8-) Don't bring this up again Fiery.

Sorry Perm, but in this case Fiery's right. Jamie clearly doesn't appreciate that your own work is judged by how other people that report to you do theirs in the working world. I'm sure he either didn't appreciate this, or will come to know it in time, so I'll let him off ;)

Perm

Sorry Perm, but in this case Fiery's right. Jamie clearly doesn't appreciate that your own work is judged by how other people that report to you do theirs in the working world. I'm sure he either didn't appreciate this, or will come to know it in time, so I'll let him off ;)
I was referring to Fiery's apparant thinking that because he is older, he is better. I've experienced a lot of "You're only 16, your opinion doesn't matter" kind of comments from Fiery and I can tell you that it doesn't take long before they become very irksome. Jamee may have been wrong here, but there was still no need for that little barb from Fiery about his age.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I was referring to Fiery's apparant thinking that because he is older, he is better. I've experienced a lot of "You're only 16, your opinion doesn't matter"
What?! :blink:

'Tis an outrage! An outrage, I say!

Perm, I hereby propose that we, as reasonably-bright-but-miserably-puberty-stricken youths who happen to know a thing or two about cricket, unite together with all others of our type on this forum to shape a tough, resolute stand against these aged oppressors! No longer will our opinions be disregarded merely because we've zits and pustules in every conceivable spot on our faces! No longer shall we be passed off as know-nothings just because of that undesiccateable moistness behind our ears! No longer shall we stand for this #@$%@#!!!!!!

That said, Perm, I must impart, from one aggravated, misunderstood and hormonally-messed-up teenager to another, a piece of counsel which might serve you reasonably well in your future contributions to cricket forums such as this...

...Ahem...

...Do not, whatever you do, if you want to be taken seriously, reveal to the forum how shamefully young you are until, indeed, you are being taken seriously. (By that time, admittedly, the whole "Wow! I had no idea! You're so eloquent and mature for your age!" praise-heaping feels pretty good. Until then, however, shut it!)

kind of comments from Fiery and I can tell you that it doesn't take long before they become very irksome. Jamee may have been wrong here, but there was still no need for that little barb from Fiery about his age.
Admittedly, Perm, he was showing his age there (Jamee, I mean). He might have given things a bit more thought before diving in with a statement like that. He should know that these cranky adults are wont to start whining about well-meant assaults that.

Last edited:

Perm

Perm, I hereby propose that we, as reasonably-bright-but-miserably-puberty-stricken youths who happen to know a thing or two about cricket, unite together with all others of our type on this forum to shape a tough, resolute stand against these aged oppressors! No longer will our opinions be disregarded merely because we've zits and pustules in every conceivable spot on our faces! No longer shall we be passed off as know-nothings just because of that undesiccateable moistness behind our ears! No longer shall we stand for this #@$%@#!!!!!!

That said, Perm, I must impart, from one aggravated, misunderstood and hormonally-messed-up teenager to another, a piece of counsel which might serve you reasonably well in your future contributions to cricket forums such as this...

...Ahem...

...Do not, whatever you do, if you want to be taken seriously, reveal to the forum how shamefully young you are until, indeed, you are being taken seriously. (By that time, admittedly, the whole "Wow! I had no idea! You're so eloquent and mature for your age!" praise-heaping feels pretty good. Until then, however, shut it!)

Admittedly, Perm, he was showing his age there (Jamee, I mean). He might have given things a bit more thought before diving in with a statement like that. He should know that these cranky adults are wont to start whining about well-meant assaults that.
Haha, gun post :D

HeathDavisSpeed

That deserves a nomination for something... It is on the cricket chat forum I believe (no matter how tenuously cricket related this is)

For the record, I had expected Neville Cardus to be at best 128 by now, and at worst I would have expected his corpse to have gone beyond rigor mortis and into the rotten flesh stage.

I actually thought I was the only person who could see Neville's posts - as if one aged cricketer to another, he was communicating to Heath from beyond the grave

I'm even more surprised to find out that he's a non-dessicated behind the ears teenager.

neville cardus

International Debutant
That deserves a nomination for something... It is on the cricket chat forum I believe (no matter how tenuously cricket related this is)
Yes! Nominate me! Please! 8-)

For the record, I had expected Neville Cardus to be at best 128 by now
On that note, Heath, there is actually a fair amount of debate about my real age. We can't decide whether I was born in 1888 or 1889.

and at worst I would have expected his corpse to have gone beyond rigor mortis and into the rotten flesh stage.
I got a group of hopeless cricket tragics to Leninise me.

I actually thought I was the only person who could see Neville's posts - as if one aged cricketer to another, he was communicating to Heath from beyond the grave

I'm even more surprised to find out that he's a non-dessicated behind the ears teenager.
The chance to relive my days in the slums of Manchester was far too appetising to resist. Being dead doesn't really compare.

Cricket Spectator
Over the course of a spot of research in which I was happily engaging myself today, I came across this most charmingly illiterate letter, written in 1880, from Billy Bates to the Todmorden Cricket Club:

Lascelles Hall Hall
April 28/1880

Sir

I ham oping for engagments for the bowling
[the "b" looks an awful lot like an "f"] dates and my terms is 30 per Match

Nameley

June
[he crosses out July] 19 and 26
July = 10
Augst = 28

Yours Truly
W Bates
Poor Billie Bates, first his eye then attepted suicide and finally pnuemonia contracted at a colleagues funeral.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Poor Billie Bates, first his eye then attepted suicide and finally pnuemonia contracted at a colleagues funeral.
Heard the yarn about his singing "The Yorkshire Bonny Lass" to a cannibalistic chieftain in the Sandwich Isles?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Looking over this thread now, I cannot see any way that I could have been sober while spewing forth muck that reeks of such giddy inebriety. Absolutely dire.

Last edited: