• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

caught behind

Roosterman

Cricket Spectator
in the yard me and my brother player we play against the shed so anything nicked that hits the shed on the full is caught so the sheds like wicketkeeper, legslip, first slip to 4th slip, gully and even backward point. anyone else play cricket in the yard like this

Odie

Cricket Spectator
Yeah. We called it "behind and out."

If we were playing in the driveway and the ball hit the garage door on the full, then you were out.

If we were playing in the street, and we didn't have a wicket keeper (which was often, no-one wanted that job), and the ball went behind on the full, then you were out.

And because there was not enough room in the driveway to stand in the slips cordon, the garage door served that purpose.

However, if we were in the street, and everyone was just too lazy to stand in the slips, and you didnt hit the ball anywhere but DIRECTLY behind, then someone had to field it. Only DIRECTLY behind was out. After that we made at least one person stand in the slips, because we wanted to run from the gully even less.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol. I myself have been known to contest a game of cricket with absolute strangers. It's better in a way....no guilt (or consequences) arise out of smacking them for six, or uprooting midlle ;).

Damien Martyn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
halsey said:
Does that cause arguments as to whether it was a nick or not?
errr a little because i have a 12 yo lil sis and she knows how to play cricket but knows jack all bout the rules so i always say i entended that edge and she wont dispute sometimes i say it was and egge coz it a bit slack...:( :lol: :lol:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I play with an otto (tall rubbish bin) at keeper and one at first slip. It works really well. No arguements to what shot was played, and if you leave the ball, you dont have to fetch.

DJellett

International Debutant
We play against a brick wall. I have often encountered the problem of the sweep and late cut disputes, so I took a can of spray paint and drew a sideways triangle on the wall that looks like an upside down L. Anything nicked into the region (assuming the lines are complete from middle stump to the edge of the triangle) is out. It also clears up the argument of "too high for the slips" I have found this works really well. If you can't spray paint stuff, use chalk.

chrisbroadie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Used two rubbish bins as the keeper and 1st slips.
Placed one bin so the middle of it was roughly aligned with off stump and the other bin approx a foot further away as to cover 1st and maybe 2nd slip.
This didnt cover leg side - bowlers shouldnt bowl down there and any rubbish bowled there should be 4 not caught

shaansewak

Cricket Spectator
my set of backyard cricket rules

* mainly normal rules apply to all runs scored

* no runs scored on leg side fence (everyone tends to hit here),

* no wickets taken on leg side fence

* caught behind (if ball hits any part of fence on full - whole span)

* if ball hit on full onto wall, either 4 or 6 depending on where hit (if it is very low it is 4/ if it high then it is 6)

* can be dismissed anyway (stumped is when the ball hits the fence and rebounds back onto the stumps when you are out of your crease

* any fielding spot is possible

cbuts

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lol. I myself have been known to contest a game of cricket with absolute strangers. It's better in a way....no guilt (or consequences) arise out of smacking them for six, or uprooting midlle ;).
thats who rugby is played here :D

we just call it aw - auto wickie. wehn setting up a game ya just say aw - usually 1 legslip round to a 4th slip

inc_haydn

Cricket Spectator
DJellett said:
We play against a brick wall. I have often encountered the problem of the sweep and late cut disputes, so I took a can of spray paint and drew a sideways triangle on the wall that looks like an upside down L. Anything nicked into the region (assuming the lines are complete from middle stump to the edge of the triangle) is out. It also clears up the argument of "too high for the slips" I have found this works really well. If you can't spray paint stuff, use chalk.
Yea we do the same thing with chalk, the only problem is we play with left and right handers.... the bad thing about this is that there are heaps of lines on the wall, causes sum dispute