• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar vs Ponting - who will win the battle of 100's?

so?

• Ponting

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • Tendulkar

Votes: 23 31.9%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Methinks Ponting because he is a lot more consitent than Tendulkar (Who should have retired years ago)
Well... maybe with hindsight he should have. But there was no reason for him to have retired in November 2002, none at all. Had he done it'd have been probably the biggest shock in cricket history.

No-one could have predicted his decline - and, indeed, for at least 2 years it'd be quite fair to say no-one could know it was a decline. Because he was seriously hampered by tennis-elbow, and no-one can expect to perform at their peak in said condition. It's only since his recovery from that that it's been apparent he's not what he once was.

And I'll say it yet again... he looked better in his most recent series than he has any time since 2003.

cover drive man

International Captain
Well... maybe with hindsight he should have. But there was no reason for him to have retired in November 2002, none at all. Had he done it'd have been probably the biggest shock in cricket history.

No-one could have predicted his decline - and, indeed, for at least 2 years it'd be quite fair to say no-one could know it was a decline. Because he was seriously hampered by tennis-elbow, and no-one can expect to perform at their peak in said condition. It's only since his recovery from that that it's been apparent he's not what he once was.

And I'll say it yet again... he looked better in his most recent series than he has any time since 2003.
I think that he should have retired about twothousand and four ish and let some new talent come through.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But why retire to let new talent come through if your own talent is superior?

He was only 32 at that time, the age most batsmen are in their prime. And he'd was still afflicted by an injury (he only recovered in mid-2005), so there was no indication that anything was wrong other than that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why I just think Tendulkar should have retired a while ago.
Tendulkar should retire when he no longer wants to play cricket. If he still wants to play, even if he is completely and utterly dire - he should do. It isn't his job to decide whether he is good enough to make the side - only to decide whether he still wants to play and whether he still has the drive to succeed.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting will blow a few of the batting records away and most centuries will be one of them.

If Ponting keeps up his form he will be at least equal to Tendulkar. IMO - because I see him actually keeping it up - he will end up above Tendulkar.

haroon510

International 12th Man
RK.( Ricky Pointing)
Tendulker doesn't have enough cricket left in him. he might as well retire by next year just like Brain Charles Lara.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tendulkar isnt consistent these days though. He should retire basically he doesnt want to play and he doesn't play good enough.
If he were to retire right now (and I'd still not be in favour of that mind) it'd probably be less of a surprise than if he'd retired in 2005. But had he retired in 2005 that'd have been madness. And that's what I was talking about - not these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ponting will blow a few of the batting records away and most centuries will be one of them.

If Ponting keeps up his form he will be at least equal to Tendulkar. IMO - because I see him actually keeping it up - he will end up above Tendulkar.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :ph34r:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway, I think Ponting will continue to rack up centuries and eventually pass Tendulkar. As Richard says, does that mean he has had a more notable career? No.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Look not saying its impossible for Ponting to keep going like he has been doing in the past 2 years, but this is exactly what people were saying about Tendulkar in 1996-98. "If he keeps this up, he'll have every batting record in world cricket"

Age catches up to everyone.

I reckon a few years from now similar things may be said about Pietersen.

Laurrz

International Debutant
yep, Tendulkar as we know started so early..and he's been travelling around the world for soo long..

and my point is? im not sure.. i know what it is but cant say it in words ha

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Look not saying its impossible for Ponting to keep going like he has been doing in the past 2 years, Age catches up to everyone.
Bingo....Ponting is at the peak of his game right now, but he'll hit the slump - its unavoidable for any batsman.

adharcric

International Coach
Ponting will win this race but it will take a bit more for him to be on par with Lara or Tendulkar, IMO.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I voted Ponting. Ponting said he's looking at 50 test centuries. I think he will get there. I don't think Sachin will get there.

This is a decisive season for Sachin with 3 tests in England, 3 against Pakistan and then 4 (or maybe its 3) in Australia. Plenty of opportunity but very difficult opposition. If he can hit some sublime form, he may be able to prolong his season but otherwise I think HE may think about hanging up his boots.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I voted Ponting. Ponting said he's looking at 50 test centuries. I think he will get there. I don't think Sachin will get there.

This is a decisive season for Sachin with 3 tests in England, 3 against Pakistan and then 4 (or maybe its 3) in Australia. Plenty of opportunity but very difficult opposition. If he can hit some sublime form, he may be able to prolong his season but otherwise I think HE may think about hanging up his boots.
I'd be interested to see where you found this, especially seeing as Ponting continually tries to evade talk about statistics in relation to his own game....