• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Top 100 Test Batsmen of all-time

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hi all, I am new to this forum.

For the last five years I have been working on my own ratings system, constrantly chaning the formula, for test and ODI players. I have finaly settled on a formula. I thought I would firstly display my top 100 test batsmen with you, too see what you think. When I have time, I will explain the formula. Until then, see what you think:

TOP 100 TEST BATSMEN
1 Bradman 1447
2 Hobbs 944
3 Ponting 902
4 Tendulkar 874
5 ......

97 Nurse 589
98 Faulkner 588
99 J.H. Edrich 587
100 Mead 586
101 Zaheer Abbas 586
Its amazing how one continues to learn something everyday.

My cricket lesson of the day......Dennis Amiss and Slater (amongst hordes of others including one from Najafgarh) are better batsmen than WG Grace (PBUH)

shortpitched713

International Captain

My cricket lesson of the day......Dennis Amiss and Slater (amongst hordes of others including one from Najafgarh) are better batsmen than WG Grace (PBUH)
No need for that, imo. Clearly Grace will fall short of his legendary status if measured by purely statistical methods, which is what Grace's rankings are based on.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No need for that, imo. Clearly Grace will fall short of his legendary status if measured by purely statistical methods, which is what Grace's rankings are based on.
You really think so ?

Would you like to do a statistical analysis that proves this which cant be torn to shreds ?

shortpitched713

International Captain
You really think so ?

Would you like to do a statistical analysis that proves this which cant be torn to shreds ?
First of all, likely DOG's analysis only took into consideration Test matches, and Grace was past his best when his Test career began. Thus any analysis of only his Test stats would underrate him.

Finally, I am much too tired to do anything of the sort. :sleep:

JBMAC

State Captain

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
First of all, likely DOG's analysis only took into consideration Test matches, and Grace was past his best when his Test career began. Thus any analysis of only his Test stats would underrate him.

Finally, I am much too tired to do anything of the sort. :sleep:
Good. Thats all right.

In India we have had a player called Col Ck Nayudu. He was 37 when India played their first test match and played 7 tests in all averaged 25.0 with the bat. and yet anyone who knows anything about cricket will rate him amongst the greatest batsmen India has ever produced. I saw him when he was 60, batting in the nets with his necktie tucked into the waistcoat of his three piece suit and hammering Indi'as fastest bowler of the times in his finest formal clothes. I understood why it wasn't important to look at his stats to understand that I was privileged to be in the presence of a master.

Those who do not know cricket beyond cold stats do not know cricket at all.

Yet you can see stats a bit more carefully and some of the mastery will come through.

If you werent so tired and knew how and where to look you could find that in the stats of both Grace and the Colonel. If you cant, I feel for you.

JBMAC

State Captain
Wisden Cricketer of the year and they also report him as still playing competitively when he was 68

JBMAC

State Captain
CK Nayudu: India's first cricket legend
CK Nayudu was a cricketing hero much before the Merchants, Hazares and Gavaskars appeared on the scene. He was the most popular cricketer in the pre-independence era.

India's first cricket captain against England, Nayudu was famous as CK. He amassed 12,000 runs and secured 400 wickets in his first class cricket career. CK was more known for his attacking style of batting that drew crowds.

He was the first national cricket icon in India and had a penchant for hitting sixes. Nayudu unfortunately was 37 when India played its first cricket series.

In the first tour of India to England, Nayudu shared limelight along with Mushtaq Ali and Merchant. He hit a record 32 sixes in the tour and captivated the spectators.

It was just behind Lord Constantine's 37 sixes that were hit in 1928.
Nayudu hit six centuries in the series and secured 79 wickets as well. Once he hit 153 over 187 balls in just over a 100 minutes against a visiting MCC team. He loved to loft the ball..

Though he did not do much in the tests, Nayudu was a sight to watch in the other matches in the tour. He was a regal and thrilling player.

Born in 1896 in Nagpur, Cottari Kankaiya Nayudu played first class cricket for 47 years. He died in Nagpur at the age of 68.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What was his first-class average then?
Not much worse than Sachin's would have been if he was playing in those times and played till he was 68 !!

To talk figures.

It is important when discussing cricketers like Grace and Naydu not to forget the context. Both in terms of time/era in which they were playing as well as how they kept playing well beyond their use-by-date.

Here are Nayudu's figures in each decade of his nearly half a century long career.

AGE...Avg
20-30 : 48.4
30-40 : 40.0
40-50 : 31.8
50-60 : 29.5
60 + : 39.0​

This is a career that started in 1916.