• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Top 100 Test Batsmen of all-time

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Has barely posted of late (GCSEs) so am not sure, TBH.

Only Englishman I think anyone could accuse of loving him would be PF - although even there having him in his avatar was merely a result of a WC avatar challenge. :p
Yes, t'is true. Not quite as bad as Smith and Watson yet though.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Fair effort by Days of Grace - top username too. Seems maybe a bit biased towards the modern day players - maybe someway of factoring in years played as well as, or in lieu of, just total aggregate runs might be the go to weed out one or two season wonders?

The other issue is that while I think you're quite right to boost players pre 1914, there are several other adjustments that could be made in the other direction, probably for the 1930s (roughly) and the last 7 years - slight downgrades to reflect that they were generally batter-friendly conditions more often than not?

Always good to get a new member who can come up with interesting things to discuss, in any case, so welcome to CW! :thumbsup:
Cheers mate :)

I'm always looking for ways to improve the ratings. But I'm taking a break at the moment, don't want to drive myself insane, ah? :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BUT would any of these three batsmen make a "top 10" of all time batsmen? I don't think so.
I don't think that PF was saying they would, merely stating that those are three of his favourite batsman to watch.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
That's a great effort mate. Looks very very good. Though I do agree with the others who say that its a tad bit modern-centric. Would love to see improvements when you do get a chance.

Days of Grace

International Captain
That's a great effort mate. Looks very very good. Though I do agree with the others who say that its a tad bit modern-centric. Would love to see improvements when you do get a chance.

Thanks. I'll be a while yet though.

However, don't forget that batsmen like Yousuf, Dravid, Ponting, etc. may well drop down the list as their peak days end. The same happened to Viv Richards. If he finished up in 1985, he would be somewhere near the top 10 IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And you've managed to get out of that now, even.

Suppose no-one'll question a Mod, hey? :unsure:

(Who is that in your current avatar, BTW?)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mohammad Yousuf, undoubtedly. Dravid? Possibly. But it's only a possibly. It's probably not a question that can be answered beyond all doubt, but I'd not even want to try, TBH.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd probably put Waugh a bit ahead of Dravid at this point in time, but who knows by the end of their careers. I'm sure that Dravid will score more runs than Waugh did.

MiddleOrdaBiffa

Cricket Spectator
They get an extra 20% if they played their entire careers before 1914 as there is a general consensus that pitches before the Great War were substandard and hard for batting most of the time.

I toyed with the idea of points for runs before finally settling on them, as it stops players who have played relatively little tests, but with a high average, from being too far up the list. I guess its a reward for lonegivity of career more than anything.
Did you think of this username due to Arthur Ashes book or see it on Tyson's tattoo?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Mohammed Yousuf, Dravid etc. are all less than Steve Waugh.
Mohammad Yousuf is obviously inferior to Steve Waugh as a batsman, whereas Dravid probably is at this point in time. I can see Dravid possibly surpassing Waugh in the end though, certainly I think he'll end up with more Test runs.