Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Top 100 Test Batsmen of all-time

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    ... O... K...

EDIT: looks better as a CW-style quote rather than just a "X" TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Just thought what you said was pretty amusing and very obvious. Contender for the Jimmy Adams award?.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Probably. IIRR we've got 3 this week.

First Class Debutant
    A top 10 batsmen of all time would elicit greater debate.
    If you really need a wider tent, top 25 batsmen at most.
    Anything more than that starts to get blurry, IMO.

A good exercise, nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ... O... K...

EDIT: looks better as a CW-style quote rather than just a "X" TBH.
    How would you make it into a CW-style quote Rich?. Oh, and cheers for helping me with the photos. Extremely appeciated.

Well you quoted it yourself in this thread...

Easiest way, as Martyn (GIMH) said IIRR a day or so ago, is to go to the post where you quoted me, click the edit button, highlight and copy the entire quote (from "[QUOTE]" to "[/QUOTE]") then go back, go to "edit sig" and paste it in in place of what you just put there.

Then come back and check it.

Ta Rich. . Cheers for answering my requests in the last day or two.

U19 12th Man
    come on now... top 100? statistic formula? cricket is a game people, a damn game where you don't actually know anything for sure - who would have predicted Bradman bowled out at the 2nd ball in his last Test?
    i choose to stay focused on the sporting and human side of the game and not mess too much with stats, because sports are a human phenomenon and fortunately any fantasy league, based on statistical guides, gets weird at times.
    unless you would like to see a cricket match played by stats-programmed robots.

Top post atisha_ro.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atisha_ro View Post
    Have two of those already leagues running currently...

Not to mention Battrick.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

come on now... top 100? statistic formula? cricket is a game people, a damn game where you don't actually know anything for sure - who would have predicted Bradman bowled out at the 2nd ball in his last Test?
    i choose to stay focused on the sporting and human side of the game and not mess too much with stats, because sports are a human phenomenon and fortunately any fantasy league, based on statistical guides, gets weird at times.
    Good point.

An interesting question, and gauge of ability and character, would be who would you consider the most reliable batsman for your country to come in and make a score when the chip's are down.

In recent time's for England it would have to be Graham Thorpe. Before that, going back a few decade's, maybe Ken Barrington.

Mahjong Champion!
    Interesting Post and an interesting formula...Unless I need my glasses cleaning though a couple of names notably missing.Syd Gregory,Stan McCabe maybe even Charlie Bannerman
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Chula's cricket ratings
    Gun list tbh. Probably the most accurate statistical ratings I've seen on the web, although I disagree with the way he ranks allrounders but thats besides the point.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Nice post.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I love stats almost as much as the game itself TBH. Whether you like it or not statistics are a very important part of the game of cricket, they can determine whether somebody is playing "well" or not and at the end of the day can almost tell us singlehandedly if a players career was a success. Obviously things such as the contest between two sides, how good a shot was, how well bowled a delivery was cannot be determined by numbers and fancy statistics and that is the beauty of cricket, a beauty which is backed up by the vital necessity of stats IMO.

Of course there are some instances were statistics do not tell the full story. For example, if Michael Hussey was to retire now and never play another Test match again then he would be regarded as, statistically, the second best batsman to ever play at the highest level. Now all of us (maybe not Crampton ) know that this is simply not true, there are possibly a hundred finer batsman to have graced the Test arena than Hussey, but the stats are telling us that he is the second best.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information