• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 all-time best team

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
Forget for a moment about the controversies on the format.
Let's say you have a time machine or something, you can go here and there and pick a bext XI to showcase in a Twenty20 match.
You'll have to pick people who can bat well and score fast, a good keeper and some bowlers who can scare and slow the batsmen out, taking wickets in the process.
Consider the harsh penalties of the no-ball and delaying the game.
No era limitations.
Have a go.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
ok, i'll have a go

Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Virendar Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Mike Bevan
Mike Hussey
Freddy Flintoff
Cam White
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Waquar Younis

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah they would make sense, lance for bevan, viv for sachin, and garry sobers for cam white

Natman20

International Debutant
Bevan would have been a really exciting Twenty20 batsman as he would have been an awesome player in everything still if they hadn't dropped him. A true legend he probably would have been if Twenty20 was there sooner.

I still think it's not just about whacking the ball but having a good temperament. I have'nt seen enough Twenty20 to justify whose styles would have really suited the game. The one's I don't think we can really make judgements on are the bowlers. Of course class quicks would make it but the others arn't certainties. I think it benefits those spin bowlers who arn't neccessarily classy in other forms but ones that tick over quickly and vary it a lot.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Judging by the success of spinners like Jeremy Snape in the English game, maybe Deepak Patel may have been fairly successful.

As is the case in all forms of the game, no one likes express pace. I would therefore, suggest Heath (if it wasn't for Heath's frequent altercations with no-balls), but will instead suggest Waqar, whose toe crushing yorkers would have been very useful in the dying overs of a 20:20 match.

pskov

International 12th Man
Here's my crack at it then:

Adam Gilchrist+
Shahid Afridi
Viv Richards*
Gary Sobers
Ian Botham
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Joel Garner

A wicked pace attack with a matchwinning spinner and plenty of other options to take the pace off the ball if needed added to several gun fielders means that this side should be very strong in the field.

In the batting department the strategy is to load up on the six hitters, they can't all fail! Can they? :unsure: Though to call any of those players, apart from Afridi (and maybe Symonds) just six hitters is a bit insulting as they can all play properly if needs be, but they can all clear the ropes too (even Murali on occasion!). Bevan would be the man on stand-by ready to come in if/when two or three wickets were lost in quick succession to calm it down and milk the ones and twos for a few overs.

To be honest Twenty20 or not, I'd be happy to take that team in any format of the game against any that's ever played. Don't think they'd lose too often.

Fiery

Banned
Here's my crack at it then:

Adam Gilchrist+
Shahid Afridi
Viv Richards*
Gary Sobers
Ian Botham
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Joel Garner

A wicked pace attack with a matchwinning spinner and plenty of other options to take the pace off the ball if needed added to several gun fielders means that this side should be very strong in the field.

In the batting department the strategy is to load up on the six hitters, they can't all fail! Can they? :unsure: Though to call any of those players, apart from Afridi (and maybe Symonds) just six hitters is a bit insulting as they can all play properly if needs be, but they can all clear the ropes too (even Murali on occasion!). Bevan would be the man on stand-by ready to come in if/when two or three wickets were lost in quick succession to calm it down and milk the ones and twos for a few overs.

To be honest Twenty20 or not, I'd be happy to take that team in any format of the game against any that's ever played. Don't think they'd lose too often.
That's a good 20/20 team

JBMAC

State Captain
Here's mine

1. Gilchrist
2.Jayawardne
3.Bradman
4.Ponting
5.Viv Richards
6.Sobers
7.Botham
8.Lance Cairns
9.Warne
10.Lillee
11. McGrath

Super Sub Norm O'Neill

JBMAC

State Captain
YES ..I stand corrected humbly...Jayasuria...the old memory banks do not function as they used too...(siiiggghhh)

Fiery

Banned
YES ..I stand corrected humbly...Jayasuria...the old memory banks do not function as they used too...(siiiggghhh)
That's OK mate. They've got some pretty good drugs to combat Alzheimers these days. :p (getting too cheeky now, I know)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I would certainly include Joel Garner in my side, the bloke has the best economy rate ever of an ODI bowler, had pace, bounce and accuracy.

Isura

U19 Captain
Gilchrist
Sehwag
Bradman
Viv Richards
Afridi
Symonds
Kapil Dev
Shaun Pollock
Akram
Murali
McGrath

Openers can be counted on to get us off to a flier. From what I've read, Bradman had all the shots. I can't see any bowling attack slowing down his stroke making. Richards is similar. Then Afridi and Symonds to smash it around in the last few. In case of a batting collapse, Dev, Pollock, and Akram are no mugs with the bat. Only weakness may be a lack of a real pace option. Maybe Garner or Marshal for McGrath.

Last edited: