• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Slate is wiped clean , who would you like to see in Englands ODI squad

gio

U19 Cricketer
Mascarenhas in the squad!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallaylooyarrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

I honestly was never expecting this day to come. :)
Ditto. I was of the opinion that the selectors just didn't fancy him. Thankfully, they showed some sense in picking a very good and economical OD bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, it's been a combination of that and one other thing - this is the first season since 2004 that he's been bowling well. His form in 2005 and 2006 was poor and I didn't really want him picked then.

Now that he appears to be going well again, though, I'm ecstatic. Just a shame Mark Ealham's chances are now gone. :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've also put this in the WI thread, but here's the England squad.

1 Paul Collingwood (Durham, capt), 2 James Anderson (Lancashire), 3 Ian Bell (Warwickshire), 4 Stuart Broad (Leicestershire), 5 Alastair Cook (Essex), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), 7 Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire), 8 Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), 9 Liam Plunkett (Durham), 10 Matt Prior (Sussex), 11 Owais Shah (Middlesex), 12 Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), 13 Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), 14 Michael Yardy (Sussex)
Wow, they actually picked Mascarenhas - top stuff. Nice to see Trott there too. Fairly similar to my squad - Broad in for Tremlett, Yardy in for Benning and Shah in for Allenby (I certainly excepted the first and last of those though). 14 players and not 15, too, so no place for Dalrymple.

Last edited:

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
as good as it will probably get for now, great to see trott and mascarenhas get a go. hugely let down benning isn't in the squad though, just doesn't look like enough firepower in the batting to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Benning not being picked is fair enough, TBH - as David pointed-out earlier, he's not been in great form this season, has had that one massive innings in that crazy 496 game and done not-a-lot besides.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Am I the only one who thinks we may see Bell open with Trott or Shah at 3, rather than Prior up there? Has it actually been announced somewhere that Prior will open?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd imagine Cook would open with Prior and Bell at 3. Has it been fully comfirmed that Trott is going to bat at 3?.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair point, they may well stick with Prior at 7 (when I say stick with, I mean as with our previous ODI keepers). I've certainly not read confirmation that he'll open.

It's also reasonable to guess that they may juggle thing around a bit. If they are planning on building a side rather than looking for instant results then they will have to chop and change for a little while. I can live with that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At least Yardy's only been hopeless once, though - Clarke's done it 3 times!
To be fair to Yardy as well, even though he *looked* absolutely dire beyond comprehension when he bowled, he actually performed rather well with the ball. Admittedly he had some assistance from turning pitches (in fact, some of the most suited pitches to his bowling you'll find in ODIs for a long time) but to say he stuffed up wouldn't be entirely correct other than the fact that his batting (often in a position which he clearly isn't suited to) was dire and he his bowling copped some stick in a CT game.

I'm against his selection, however I don't even he's stuffed out once - certainly not to the level Clarke has.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, I've said elsewhere his bowling figures were good and merited a bit more selection.

It was his batting - his primary suit - that was so Clarke-esquely terrible. And both Clarke and Yardy are batsmen with terrible List-A records who should never have got near ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am I the only one who thinks we may see Bell open with Trott or Shah at 3, rather than Prior up there? Has it actually been announced somewhere that Prior will open?
I seriously hope we don't see Trott opening, would be a complete waste. Bell might be at the top of the order, mind. Presumably with Cook. Great. Another "too slow" opening pairing (although I can't shake the feeling Cook might prove a bit quicker than some are expecting).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's also reasonable to guess that they may juggle thing around a bit. If they are planning on building a side rather than looking for instant results then they will have to chop and change for a little while. I can live with that.
Remember what happened last time we did that...?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd imagine Cook would open with Prior and Bell at 3. Has it been fully comfirmed that Trott is going to bat at 3?.
Fair point, they may well stick with Prior at 7 (when I say stick with, I mean as with our previous ODI keepers). I've certainly not read confirmation that he'll open.

Bell's best ODI performances have generally come while opening the batting, and Prior has been tried and failed in that role. Given the squad selected, I'd like to see this eleven:

1. Alastair Cook
2. Ian Bell
3. Jonathan Trott
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Owais Shah
7. Matt Prior
8. Dimitri Mascarenhas
9. Ryan Sidebottom
10. Monty Panesar
11. James Anderson

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I seriously hope we don't see Trott opening, would be a complete waste. Bell might be at the top of the order, mind. Presumably with Cook. Great. Another "too slow" opening pairing (although I can't shake the feeling Cook might prove a bit quicker than some are expecting).
I don't think anyone has suggested Trott opening. I can see how my post could have been taken that way though, I suppose. I did not mean "(Bell open with Trott)(or Shah at 3)" - I meant "(Bell open)(with Trott or Shah at 3)".

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Trott is the new number three according to my Sky Text. Bell will probably open, although, he could be used at six with Prior getting the opening slot once more.

Not the worst England squad announced, Plunkett and Yardy are not my favourite cricketers but at least there is no Solanki, Hoggard, Gidman, Rikki Clarke et cetera.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I think Benning not being picked is fair enough, TBH - as David pointed-out earlier, he's not been in great form this season, has had that one massive innings in that crazy 496 game and done not-a-lot besides.
Do you mean the game where he carried his bat for 189 against Gloucestershire and Surrey still lost? Or did he also score big in the game against Glamorgan where Brown got his double century?

Either way, I think he would have been a good pick, especially for the 20:20.