• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "What If " Game

aussie tragic

International Captain
Rules are simple, just state an ideal time that a Player should have retired to be considered a much greater player statistically then present (must have been at the end of a series though, no Hussain like theatrics allowed).

I'll start with an easy one with Geoff Boycott:

1978 (after NZ series): 74T, 5675 runs @ 51.12, 16C, 32F

This would have made him the last Englishman to retire with a test average > 50

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Rules are simple, just state an ideal time that a Player should have retired to be considered a much greater player statistically then present (must have been at the end of a series though).

I'll start with an easy one with Geoff Boycott:

1978 (after NZ series): 74T, 5675 runs @ 51.12, 16C, 32F

This would have made hime the last Englishman to retire with a test average > 50
otoh, his reputation is arguably stronger for facing up to Roberts, Holding, Garner & Croft/Marshall in 1980 & 1981, since there are plenty who will argue (wrongly) that his mid1970's sabbatical was to avoid Aus & WI.

Botham, of course, would have astonishingly good stats if he'd retired at 31.8.82.

Or Strauss could have retired at 31.1.05

etc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In an alternate universe Waqar Younis tragically suffered a fatal diarrhoea blow-back on June 13th 1994 after celebrating victory in the 1st test v NZ in 1993/4 rather too heartily, leaving him with 154 wickets @ 18.35.

Seriously tho, if he'd have retired around then I reckon he'd be thought of as the best ever.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Another one:

Kim Hughes (1984): 61 T, 4119 runs @ 41.19, 9C, 22F (his last 9 tests were against WI at their peak which resulted in his average dropping to a very English like 37.41)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What if Lara retired after this match with a test average of 47.69.

Would he still have gone down as an all-time great? Or just a terrific batsman who could have been more? He wouldn't have had a lot of his triumphs post-2000, obviously his 400, and wouldn't have been the highest test run scorer ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In an alternate universe Waqar Younis tragically suffered a fatal diarrhoea blow-back on June 13th 1994 after celebrating victory in the 1st test v NZ in 1993/4 rather too heartily, leaving him with 154 wickets @ 18.35.

Seriously tho, if he'd have retired around then I reckon he'd be thought of as the best ever.
Yeah and a serious reason for that would also have been his ridiculously awesome strike rate as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH! I'm tempted to say "great thread", but as I could do this for virtually everyone who's ever played the game I'm worried now, about where my time the next few weeks will go. :unsure:

I'll do a few now though...

aussie tragic

International Captain

In the same alternate Universe, Ian Botham finally made the wise decision to become an Aussie and left the England team in 1980, only to become lost in the outback on a charity walk...... becomes known as the greatest Allrounder ever with:

25 Tests, 1336 runs @ 40.48, 139 wkts @ 18.52

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
(must have been at the end of a series though, no Hussain like theatrics allowed)
Just noticed this... why not? :) What's the end of a series that the end of a match isn't? You've never seen things change in the course of a series, have you?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just noticed this... why not? :) What's the end of a series that the end of a match isn't? You've never seen things change in the course of a series, have you?
ummmm... how about Botham as Captain for 2 tests in 1981 vs Botham as non-Captain and winning the Ashes.......besides, it makes it a little more real and would stop you just picking a players test where he had his best average.....then again an alternate universe where Botham becomes an Aussie is allowed :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ummmm... how about Botham as Captain in 1981 vs Botham as non-Captain and winning the Ashes.......besides, it makes it a little more real and would stop you just picking a players test where he had his best average.....then again an alternate universe where Botham becomes an Aussie is allowed :)
For me, really, there's nothing wrong with picking a player's best games if they're consecutive. Obviously it's no use picking someone's best games out cherry-style, but there's nothing wrong (as I showed earlier) in knocking off a bit at the end and a bit at the beginning, really.

IMO, at least.

aussie tragic

International Captain
For me, really, there's nothing wrong with picking a player's best games if they're consecutive. Obviously it's no use picking someone's best games out cherry-style, but there's nothing wrong (as I showed earlier) in knocking off a bit at the end and a bit at the beginning, really.

IMO, at least.
I agree with the knocking off at the beginning and end; Thommo was a great example (what an idiot playing his first test with a secret broken foot), but dropping tests like the Botham example you gave is not really fair ;)

btw, I'm sure Steve Waugh would be a fantastic record if he debuted a few years later....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of Waugh's contemporaries whose situation is not totally unlike the complete inverse... we all know that picking someone for Test cricket at the age of 16 isn't often gonna be too successful, and if India had waited a few months with Sachin Tendulkar, and if he'd suffered some sort of career-ending injury after the home West Indies series of 2002\03, while at the time it'd have been recognised as utterly terrible, in hindsight maybe (and I say maybe because it is very much so) it'd have done him and everyone associated a real favour...

aussie tragic

International Captain
ooh.... Sir Viv Richards at his ultimate gum chewing, fear staggering best:

April 1981 after the Wi vs Eng series: 44 Tests, 3969 runs @ 62.01, 13C, 16F......2nd highest average behind Bradman I believe :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, have thought "it's gotta start going down now" with Hussey all the time... and I'm still thinking it.

If and when it does, that, of course, is when he should retire.