• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "What If " Game

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Harmison case made me think of Brett Lee's whose is exactly the same. But that made me think of something else... the man they call Shane Warne\BingLeeElectric shoulda quit when he was ahead. That first post of his made more sense than any since. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, yeah. Waugh was an unbelievable batsman. Only reason I don't consider him on a full par with Tendulkar is that Tendulkar faced Australia's mostly first-rate attacks in that period, and Waugh didn't.

Waugh's one of my most-admired players in history, even if he can't quite fit the "favourites" palette.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just players I like to watch their strokes as well as like to wake-up or turn-on and see they've scored runs.

Aravinda de Silva top of the pile, as most people know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SHows how little there was statistically betwen Waugh and Tendulkar in their pomp periods.

Averaging 60 over 90 tests - that's just bloody ridiculous!!!
Yep, and that against the mostly first-rate attacks of the 1990s (with a few Mark Ilott\Martin Bicknell-led ones thrown in there). Just imagine what those two might do against the nonsense that has been most of the last 5 years.

(Tendulkar, of course, has played in that time but has been below-par)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was just playing round with the displays tbh. The Bangladesh/World XI games don't make much difference to his stats anyway IIRC

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do, TBH, would be a fair bit better with those games added in. But I don't classify them as Tests, myself. :dry:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmmm. He didn't bat against Bangladesh, and I seem to remember Hoggard taking the most wickets :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone - even Harmison - ended-up with some decent figures, though. It's hard not to against such abysmal opposition.

aussie tragic

International Captain
SHows how little there was statistically betwen Waugh and Tendulkar in their pomp periods.

Averaging 60 over 90 tests - that's just bloody ridiculous!!!
What if Ponting wasn't picked until November 24th 1999.....

filtered: 80 tests, 7707runs @ 67.01 29 centuries

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Good thread. Here is a "what if"? the other way round.Its the end of the 1989 season and Mike Gatting announces that he turned down a chance to captain the England rebel tour to SA. A greatful TCCB make him captain for the West Indies tour instead of Gooch (remember some people had wanted him to be captain in the 1989 Ashes). The selectors then decide to drop Gooch for the tour (not far fectched. He had averaged 20 in the 1989 series, was 36 years old and had dropped himself for a Test because he was off from).The selectors decide to look to the future and take Mike Atherton and John Stevenson instead. A dissapointed Gooch retires from Test cricket. Had he done so, this would have been his record:
74 matches, 4724 runs, average 36.90 HS 196 with 8 centuaries.
With his talent I reckon he'd have been considered an underachiever not unlike Hick or Crawley. As it happened he got the captaincy, it turned out to be the making of him and he became our highest ever Test runscorer, but it could have gone the other way...