Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South African Political Interference in Sport Increases Dramatically

South African Political Interference in Sport Increases Dramatically

South Africa is about to pass the 'Sports and Recreation Amendment Bill'.

This bill with have far reaching implications and will make politicians in charge of sport and have the power of the law behind them.

Basically, the Government will make all sporting bodies (eg Cricket, Rugby etc) sign a legal contract laying out the conditions of targets etc, transformation initiatives etc.

If what the government madates in these contracts with the Organisations and Federations isnt met then the Minister for Sport will intervene and the Government will do what it thinks with regards to selection and projects.

The first battle looks to be the South African Olympic team. In the last Olympics the team was 65% white. It has now been said that when the new law comes to pass that this will never be allowed again and that selection will be based on Government policy which dictates that selection will be done on demographics rather than merit.

Its a very worrying scenario where most of what is being done is about power games and sport is the eventual loser.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

U19 12th Man
    this is karma
    same old thing, except now whites are hunted down.
    they will learn the lesson someday.

Quote Originally Posted by atisha_ro View Post
    this is karma
    WTF?

U19 12th Man
    i mean, if you make colour a condition for selection in a sports team (we're talking about sports here), this is another form of racial politics.
    when SA will start to lose games and medals because of that, they will learn their lesson.

See what I meant about political point scoring in the Pakistan blunders thread. In the end what is the point of working hard (unless you are so god given talented it isn't funny) if you know that it would between a white and/or coloured/black cricketer, said latter would get the gig.

I thought winning and being the best, but clearly I was wrong.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't like to get too involved in this subject. I was reading about the Rugby team on Sunday though. there's some player, he's been picked for the national team, and is white, but has been picked as an honorary coloured because his father was part of the anti-apartheid movement. Apparently he's a good player, but there are 5 or 6 better in his position.

Whole thing just seems wrong to me.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I don't like to get too involved in this subject. I was reading about the Rugby team on Sunday though. there's some player, he's been picked for the national team, and is white, but has been picked as an honorary coloured because his father was part of the anti-apartheid movement. Apparently he's a good player, but there are 5 or 6 better in his position.

Whole thing just seems wrong to me.
    The Luke Watson Affair. Very messy indeed.

Watson is a good player (though cases can be made that there are a number better than him at his position).

The coach has not been picking him and had no interest in it. Watson has been fighting his battles in the press and has been very vocal about his non-inclusion including saying its because his father played mixed race rugby during apartheid.

Anyway he is included in the squad without the coach knowing. Basically forced into the squad by 'higher powers'. Jake White, the coach, picks a squad of 45. He makes sure that he has a full sqaud and that Watson has to be added as the 46th player to further signify that he is not a real squad member.

A very messy affair and tough for Watson to be in that position. He was snubbed by his teammates (which seems on face value a little harsh) but that was for doing all his talking in public and the press.

Really though this type of stuff is high profile but the tip of the iceberg especially with this new law coming in that means squad selection can be a matter of Government policy

There should be ICC laws preventing such a thing. I'm sure FIFA have such laws.

i mean, if you make colour a condition for selection in a sports team (we're talking about sports here), this is another form of racial politics.
    when SA will start to lose games and medals because of that, they will learn their lesson.
    RSA left the 2004 Olympics with less medals than Kazakhstan and Chinese Taipei, so I really donít think sporting failures such as the ones seen in 2004 are going to be enough to change any sort of stance the Government has in regard to regeneration and itís mantra of abolishing sporting inequalities apparent in South Africa.

If anyone has a spare half hour, his the ĎBillí via PDF.

http://www.srsa.gov.za/ClientFiles/N...%20VERSION.pdf
    http://www.srsa.gov.za/Legislation.asp

this is karma
    Not really sure how appropriate that is.

I think that there is something wrong when political structures and sporting structures become too incestual. There should be a pretty strong separation of powers.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I$C$C "can't get involved in domestic disputes".
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Pathetic...

Yeah they do, FIFA suspended Greece from all footballing activities in 2006 after continued Greek government interference in the running of the Greek FA aka the Hellenic Football Federation. You would think FIFA would do exactly the same thing if the South African government interfered with the SAFA.

Would be pretty hard to enforce in cricket if only because what goes on in the PCB, BCCI and BCCSL. Vast majority of the international cricket boards are very political or politicised, ICC would be opening a real big can of worms they probably could do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I$C$C "can't get involved in domestic disputes".
    Well that's ok for it's an issue not a dispute.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Haha, they'd find a way of making it something they can't get involved in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information