• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buying a new cricket bat

mohammad16

U19 Captain
hey, so i started pplayin leauge cirkcet in toronto this year

and im SOOOOOOOOOo confused bout bats, enough poeple have told me, jus invest in one of th etop of the line bats so ur never left thinking man i wish i had a better bat

so i want a really good bat

but i mean so many players use differnet type of bats i cant decide

what bout laras MRF or tendulkars

pontings?

inzis CA bat

Im going to paksitan this summer maybe taht would be a great place to purchase

can someone please help me with this issue im totally confused, i guess im willing to spend around 300-400 max on a cricket bat

cover drive man

International Captain
All you need is a bat what what isn't too heavy or light and have it the right says other than that there are some thechnical things but the perfomance really depends on the player.

andmark

International Captain
All you need is a bat what what isn't too heavy or light and have it the right says other than that there are some thechnical things but the perfomance really depends on the player.
Fair point, I had to bat with your bat. Then again I stayed in for one ball:unsure:

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Pick the bat which is right for you. For Example i use a light bat. Dont worry about the make of the bat just pick any bat which is comfortable, whether it be MRF or CA. Pakistan would be the best place to purchase a bat. Cheap and good quality. ;)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
An important question is what do you want from the bat and what are you prepared to spend.

If the cricket isn't overly competetive and you are not looking to spend much money then a bat made of Kashmir willow would be worthwhile. It doesnt really matter about the actual make as most bats are of a good standard nowadays.

A cheap Kashmir willow bat will be better than a cheap English willow bat. However, once you go up in price then English willow becomes superior. A good quality but expensive English willow bat surpasses anything made of Kashmir willow.

So basically, if you want a decent bat at a reasonable price then buy a bat made from Kashmir willow but if you want a good quality bat you will have to pay a lot more for high quality English willow.

Last edited:

Isura

U19 Captain
Note that most pros don't use the actual brand on their sticker. For example, Ponting is sponsered by Kookaburra but his bat is made by Bradburry. You should ask around people in your club. Lots of people bring very very good (and cheap) bats back from India and Pakistan. Don't worry about brands, but about how they feel and hit. Otherwise I recommend ordering a custom bat. They can make it to suit your batting style.

Isura

U19 Captain
Im going to paksitan this summer maybe taht would be a great place to purchase

can someone please help me with this issue im totally confused, i guess im willing to spend around 300-400 max on a cricket bat
Definitely buy some bats if you go to Pakistan. In fact, buy a few to sell to your teammates (people in Canada always are looking for good bats). You can get a good english willow bat for under $300 I think. I bought mine from Laver and Wood for $250 USD with shipping.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
hey, thanks for your replies, i guess ill just get a bat from pakistan

but im still wondering, there are so many makes

and im bout laras height, and i do play with a huge back lift jus like him, i do also like to play my shots and hit the ball far

so what type of size and wieght do u think is right for me

i know you all say get the bat which feels the best, i guess ill do that, but there are so many makes

in pakistan i guess its CA and Malik

what bout custom bats???? are they any good, where can i get them

alot of people say now buying online is best?

hey, thanks for your replies, i guess ill just get a bat from pakistan

but im still wondering, there are so many makes

and im bout laras height, and i do play with a huge back lift jus like him, i do also like to play my shots and hit the ball far

so what type of size and wieght do u think is right for me

i know you all say get the bat which feels the best, i guess ill do that, but there are so many makes

in pakistan i guess its CA and Malik

what bout custom bats???? are they any good, where can i get them

alot of people say now buying online is best?
a bat is a bat....be concerned about how you will play..not your bat.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Well it really depends on how strong you are, and where you are likely to bat in the order (i.e. Opening batsman,Middle order or tail ender) if you are going to be in roughly the top 6 or 7 and playing regularly, while scoring runs, then it would be better to get a more expensive bat. However, if you aren't going to be batting high up the order/not playing regularly there is no point in spending a lot of money on it as you are not using it.

Custom Bats.. my friend who used to play for one of the best Clubs in Northern Ireland supposedly got a custom bat made for him. It looks a nice bat but is pretty light and difficult to hit the ball far, even the "bigger" members of the cricket club were finding it difficult getting the ball to the boundary. If you check eBay there are a few "Handmade" bats at a decent price and maybe that would a good starter bat for you.

Also, if you are reasonably strong/a bit of a slogger, then i would recommend getting a heavier bat as that would suit your game.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Well it really depends on how strong you are, and where you are likely to bat in the order (i.e. Opening batsman,Middle order or tail ender) if you are going to be in roughly the top 6 or 7 and playing regularly, while scoring runs, then it would be better to get a more expensive bat. However, if you aren't going to be batting high up the order/not playing regularly there is no point in spending a lot of money on it as you are not using it.

Custom Bats.. my friend who used to play for one of the best Clubs in Northern Ireland supposedly got a custom bat made for him. It looks a nice bat but is pretty light and difficult to hit the ball far, even the "bigger" members of the cricket club were finding it difficult getting the ball to the boundary. If you check eBay there are a few "Handmade" bats at a decent price and maybe that would a good starter bat for you.

Also, if you are reasonably strong/a bit of a slogger, then i would recommend getting a heavier bat as that would suit your game.

well I bat 1 or 2 down for my team, usually come in to stabilize the innings, but then i do play power strokes

my strike rate is always around a run a ball

but having said that i woudlnt want a bat which is too heavy since my back lift is so high, and like u said some custom bats may end up being crap

DCC_legend

International Regular
Yeah i use my mates bats aswell.

Well i would suggest getting a heavier bat, and doing alot of nets practice with it to get used to the weight. Then practice your shots and then take it into matches. I think a bat between 2lbs 10 and 2lbs 12 would be a decent weight. If you can get hold of a Slazenger Bat, they have fantatic middles and are very good bats. I don't really know much about the CA or other similar brands apart from they seem to get decent reviews.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thread highlights for me the cost equation in bats in Australia.

A top of the line brand name bat is around $500 here these days. That's ok if you work full time, but if you're a late teenager who wants a decent full sze bat, it's damn expensive imo.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Waaaaaaa. Well i suppose top of the range in Northern Ireland is between £220 + £250, roughly the same as $500 in Oz. what bat are you using mate?

Had a Slazenger SXI Pro myself, broke it though :( Was a good bat.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm using an SXi Elite Pro, it set me back about £120, and is a really good bat. Nice and light, but with great power and a great middle.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Note that most pros don't use the actual brand on their sticker. For example, Ponting is sponsered by Kookaburra but his bat is made by Bradburry.
I was going to mention that before I saw it had already been posted. Ponting isn't the only player who uses a Bradbury but has a different sponsor- it is a very good quality make; I bought myself a Classic harrow for £100 and am very pleased with it.

pasag

RTDAS
Slazenger V900 here, a touch on the heavy side but I love it. Was rather expensive although I can't remember the price anymore itbt.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Slazenger V900 here, a touch on the heavy side but I love it. Was rather expensive although I can't remember the price anymore itbt.
Mm I love those bats, this guy in my team had that Bradman Slazenger bats shipped over, and it is quite possibly the best bat ever*. The grains were literally perfect down the willow and the balance was also pretty much perfect, cost him about £280 mind.