• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW awards for 10-17 June

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First instance of a award nomination coming from an awards thread?
Nah, I nominated Sean for a Skull with his Award-giving post a couple of months ago (when he gave Arrow - who joined in December 2003 - a Hussey). Sadly, in those days, Marc was in charge and didn't get it. :(:dry:

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
The West of Scotland Cricket Club is a large cricket club based in Glasgow, Scotland. Their ground is Hamilton Crescent located in the Partick area of Glasgow's West End.

Hamilton Crescent is famous for holding the first ever official international football match. A series of international football matches with teams formed from representatives of England and Scotland living in the southeast of England had previously been played at The Oval, London The Glasgow match was the brainchild of C. W. Alcock and it was noted in the FA's minutes of October 3, 1872: 'In order to further the interests of the Association in Scotland, it was decided that during the current season, a team should be sent to Glasgow to play a match v Scotland'[1]. The world's first official international match would take place between Scotland and England on November 30 1872. This match was played wnder the Football Association rules. It resulted in a 0-0 draw and was watched by a crowd of 4,000. The following year England won a 4-2 victory over the travelling Scots. The players of the Glasgow game were made up as follows:

Scotland: Bob Gardner, William Ker, Joseph Taylor, James Thompson, James Smith, Robert Smith, Robert Leckie, Alexander Rhind, William Muir MacKinnon, Jamie Weir, David Wotherspoon (all Queen's Park)

England: Robert Barker (Hertfordshire Rangers), Ernest Greenhalgh (Notts County), Reginald Welch (Wanderers), Frederick Chappell (Oxford University), William John Maynard (1st Surrey Rifles), John Brockbank (Cambridge University), Charles Clegg (Sheffield Wednesday), Arnold Kirke Smith (Oxford University), Cuthbert Ottaway (Oxford University/Old Etonians), Charles John Chenery (Crystal Palace), Charles John Morice (Barnes)

Further international matches were held here in 1874 and 1876, before being moved to Hampden Park. The Scottish Cup Final of 1877 was also held at Hamilton Crescent.

The current President of the cricket club is John Thomson.

The current First XI Captain is Mark Gilchrist

West of Scotland Cricket Club were promoted to the SNCL Premier league in 2006 and will return to the highest level it is possible for a Scottish club to play at for the 2007 season. West of Scotland, traditionally, are one of the working class cricket clubs in Glasgow and on a summer's day there can be quite a jovial, rowdy, yet well informed support on the famous banking. At the moment West bosts of the ultra talented, powerful opener Douglas Lockhart. Lockhart is a member of the Scottish National side as well as being an Oxford Blue and having had trials with Derbyshire CCC.

Another player to have played at county level is Gregor Maiden. His stint at Lancashire was injury plagued though and is now back in Scotland with Grange CC.

West has also produced an array of youngsters who have come through the ranks and now play an impressive level of cricket. Moneeb Iqbal now plays at Durham CCC and made his first class debut last year. In this game Iqbal took a stunning catch on the deep square leg boundary and it has been said that Iqbal is a favourite of Durham captain Mike Hussey.

Another player who came through the ranks of this prestigious club is IDK Young, Ian Young was a member of the MCC young cricketers programme and this stylish left hander has played extremely well during his period at Lord's. Young is back up in Scotland this year and is yet another player who will strengthen this exciting West side. More notably Ian was twelfth man for the English test side when they played the infamous test against Pakistan at Trent Bridge in 2006.

Another product of the coveted West Youth system is Craig Wright, the Captain of the Scottish national team. Wright left West of Scotland for Carlton CC due to work commitments. He has now moved back west to the controversial Greenock CC and captained them to Premier League Success last year.

The current captain of The West of Scotland Cricket Club is Mark Gilchrist. Gilchrist has played at West all his life and it has been proven that his blood is in fact maroon and gold. Gilchrist has represented the British Police as well as captaining Strathclyde Police on many occasions. Gilchrist has been leading wicket taker in formerly the Western Union and later the SNCL Premier Division and is generally considered to be the best Scottish bowler who has never represented his country. Gilchrist bowls slow nagging in swing with a nationally feared leg cutter as his variation.

The current starlets of this junior system are members of a some what underachieving under 18s side. Cammy Gibb, Chris Hawkins, Max Ralston, Lyle Largate and Luke Moreland were by far and away the most talented players in the league last year, however somehow managed to end up relatively low down the table. The junior convenor Jim Young was probably one of the most exasperated men on the planet last year. After Young fertilized these talents in the indoor school (affectionately known as the coke can) surely he expected some results. Not to be. Within the last few years, the West junior section have delivered many things, the least memorable being the worst cricketing debut in the history of the game, this was by a boy of 16, named Harvey.

I know this is completely off topic but I wanted everyone to know about West of Scotland cricket club which is my team.:). I am breifly mentioned as "Lyle Largate" (don't ask) but my real name is Liam Howgate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The West of Scotland Cricket Club is a large cricket club based in Glasgow, Scotland. Their ground is Hamilton Crescent located in the Partick area of Glasgow's West End.

Hamilton Crescent is famous for holding the first ever official international football match. A series of international football matches with teams formed from representatives of England and Scotland living in the southeast of England had previously been played at The Oval, London The Glasgow match was the brainchild of C. W. Alcock and it was noted in the FA's minutes of October 3, 1872: 'In order to further the interests of the Association in Scotland, it was decided that during the current season, a team should be sent to Glasgow to play a match v Scotland'[1]. The world's first official international match would take place between Scotland and England on November 30 1872. This match was played wnder the Football Association rules. It resulted in a 0-0 draw and was watched by a crowd of 4,000. The following year England won a 4-2 victory over the travelling Scots. The players of the Glasgow game were made up as follows:

Scotland: Bob Gardner, William Ker, Joseph Taylor, James Thompson, James Smith, Robert Smith, Robert Leckie, Alexander Rhind, William Muir MacKinnon, Jamie Weir, David Wotherspoon (all Queen's Park)

England: Robert Barker (Hertfordshire Rangers), Ernest Greenhalgh (Notts County), Reginald Welch (Wanderers), Frederick Chappell (Oxford University), William John Maynard (1st Surrey Rifles), John Brockbank (Cambridge University), Charles Clegg (Sheffield Wednesday), Arnold Kirke Smith (Oxford University), Cuthbert Ottaway (Oxford University/Old Etonians), Charles John Chenery (Crystal Palace), Charles John Morice (Barnes)

Further international matches were held here in 1874 and 1876, before being moved to Hampden Park. The Scottish Cup Final of 1877 was also held at Hamilton Crescent.

The current President of the cricket club is John Thomson.

The current First XI Captain is Mark Gilchrist

West of Scotland Cricket Club were promoted to the SNCL Premier league in 2006 and will return to the highest level it is possible for a Scottish club to play at for the 2007 season. West of Scotland, traditionally, are one of the working class cricket clubs in Glasgow and on a summer's day there can be quite a jovial, rowdy, yet well informed support on the famous banking. At the moment West bosts of the ultra talented, powerful opener Douglas Lockhart. Lockhart is a member of the Scottish National side as well as being an Oxford Blue and having had trials with Derbyshire CCC.

Another player to have played at county level is Gregor Maiden. His stint at Lancashire was injury plagued though and is now back in Scotland with Grange CC.

West has also produced an array of youngsters who have come through the ranks and now play an impressive level of cricket. Moneeb Iqbal now plays at Durham CCC and made his first class debut last year. In this game Iqbal took a stunning catch on the deep square leg boundary and it has been said that Iqbal is a favourite of Durham captain Mike Hussey.

Another player who came through the ranks of this prestigious club is IDK Young, Ian Young was a member of the MCC young cricketers programme and this stylish left hander has played extremely well during his period at Lord's. Young is back up in Scotland this year and is yet another player who will strengthen this exciting West side. More notably Ian was twelfth man for the English test side when they played the infamous test against Pakistan at Trent Bridge in 2006.

Another product of the coveted West Youth system is Craig Wright, the Captain of the Scottish national team. Wright left West of Scotland for Carlton CC due to work commitments. He has now moved back west to the controversial Greenock CC and captained them to Premier League Success last year.

The current captain of The West of Scotland Cricket Club is Mark Gilchrist. Gilchrist has played at West all his life and it has been proven that his blood is in fact maroon and gold. Gilchrist has represented the British Police as well as captaining Strathclyde Police on many occasions. Gilchrist has been leading wicket taker in formerly the Western Union and later the SNCL Premier Division and is generally considered to be the best Scottish bowler who has never represented his country. Gilchrist bowls slow nagging in swing with a nationally feared leg cutter as his variation.

The current starlets of this junior system are members of a some what underachieving under 18s side. Cammy Gibb, Chris Hawkins, Max Ralston, Lyle Largate and Luke Moreland were by far and away the most talented players in the league last year, however somehow managed to end up relatively low down the table. The junior convenor Jim Young was probably one of the most exasperated men on the planet last year. After Young fertilized these talents in the indoor school (affectionately known as the coke can) surely he expected some results. Not to be. Within the last few years, the West junior section have delivered many things, the least memorable being the worst cricketing debut in the history of the game, this was by a boy of 16, named Harvey.

I know this is completely off topic but I wanted everyone to know about West of Scotland cricket club which is my team.:). I am breifly mentioned as "Lyle Largate" (don't ask) but my real name is Liam Howgate.
Going for another FIAB? :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've posted whilst completely smashed before. I doubt anyone could pick out my drunk posts though - I surprisingly hold it together well on the net whilst drunk.
Nah, nah, was meaning make sure you have the pizza before the beer. IE, if you're going to drink, eat first. A mistake I once made the mistake (sic, in case you were wondering) of not doing and will never, ever do again.

I think only Tarick's ever been busted for posting drunk, though, TBH. I've done it once or twice, and once came back from a night out, switched on the comp and was sorely tempted to start a thread "h" in some random forum with a few :beer: smilies, but fortunately resisted the temptation as it might have got me a swift sack. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, that was natural progression - the club had been mentioned in the previous few posts. Nishant's post was totally random though.
There might have been an element of progression, and as such it's probably not completely FIAB-worthy (that post was semi-TIC), but it still seemed a bit random and certainly rather unexpected. :huh:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
North America IIRC, or maybe it's just Mexico and the rest of those countries are part of South America :unsure:
FIFA class them as North America don't they? ie they qualify for the WC through CONCACAF whereas CONEMBOL just consists of ten sides
That's just so the US shall have some semblance of competition without having to suffer the ignominy of getting knocked out by Ecuador. :p
Yeah I guess North America would be the best classification although based on culture and language it'd be South America.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the Awards thread can't degenerate into a fight between Fiery and Perm it shalt degenerate into a discussion of the country or continental nature of America. :)