• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan quits as ODI captain

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damn it I was hoping he was going to retire from ODIs, this leaves an ugly situation for the selectors.

Oh and Collingwood *better* be the new captain.

Piper

International Captain
I'm kinda glad he did. He is a good captain we all know that but you also add something else to the team like make runs and take wickets and he does neither. I think Colly would be a good captain.. Well he's my choice anyway. I just hope it doesn't affect his batting.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Pietersen for me. He has the right ideas and has new and exiting ideas. Hes a posative and forward thinking captain. What makes him any less of a candidate than Collingwood. Pietersen for me definatly.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
Vaughan seems to me too calm and cold a guy to adapt to the hotblooded rythms in modern limited-overs game. It shows also in his conservative approach at bat. And I'm not talking from stats - new as I am I've seen quite a lot of England during the World Cup and after.
Colly looks the good choice - mad enough to make suicidal jumps at the ball and yet a monument of sanity when under pressure - he made surely an impact today at Riverside.

Last edited:

Piper

International Captain
Pietersen for me. He has the right ideas and has new and exiting ideas. Hes a posative and forward thinking captain. What makes him any less of a candidate than Collingwood. Pietersen for me definatly.
In the future definitely. I think he's still a little inexperienced at the moment but he does bring a lot to the team and probably has a small say in what goes on. I can see him as captain and I think he would be good - in a year or two maybe.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Obviously Cook will end up being the captain when he is older, but Collingwood is the man at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

Woodster

International Captain
Not too surpirsed by his decision to stand down, but am failry surprised he's not quit the one-day game with his dodgy knees. Think it will benefit us for him to concentrate solely on Test cricket and if Collingwood is appointed, which I hope is the case, can't think that it'll cause any unrest with view to him taking over from Vaughan at Test level so Vaughan can be comfortable in his 5 day position.

The experience Colly has in ODI's is part of the reason he gets the nod from me over KP. Let KP concentrate on doing what he does best, destroying attacks!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was rather hoping he'd just retire rather than resign the captaincy.

I hope he doesn't get picked whenever the next squad is announced. IMO he should never, ever have played so much as a single ODI and it's only due to the "he's a good Test player so he must be good at ODIs too" nonsense that he did. It's best for both Vaughan's career and England's ODI prospects if he leaves the scene now.

Collingwood is IMO the only decent candidate for the job. Can't see any sense in anyone else.

pskov

International 12th Man
I presume this has been announced because he has been told he was going to be dropped and given the option to give up the captaincy on his own terms. All the noises he has been making recently have been about wanting to carry on playing ODIs and how a two captain system isn't ideal and so on, so I suspect that he was pushed rather than jumped of his own accord. That matches with his wanting to carry on playing too.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Now at least England won't have to carry another passenger in their ODI team. Hopefully he'll get a chance to improve on his Test batting right now, which considering England's current level of batting talent might not be able to justify a place in the Test side either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why didn't Vaughan retire from one day cricket , how can he expect to get in the side with an average of 25?
I wonder if he chose not to retire from ODIs so to avoid being accused of abandoning his country. Thorpe & Harmison both were accused of such; this way Vaughan isn't sacked as captain and nor or the selectors obliged to pick him. It's probably best from a PR point of view, he's still availabale for ODIs but in all reality won't be picked for them.

I'm probably wrong though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to hear, if he plays another ODI again it will be a deadset farce. Let Pietersen be captain.