• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan quits as ODI captain

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Assuming he's not selected, who opens now?
I'd pick Cook (he's only had two ODI innings and derserves a chance) and with a bit of trepidation, Benning (if anyone saw the shot the played 2nd ball at the Rose Bowl in the FP against Clark you'll know what I mean). Not Vaughan, Strauss or Joyce. There is the third option of Prior but he flopped in the sub-con in 2005/06 so I'd have him middle order (I'm sure he'll be picked)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
If Trescothick ain't playing I'd probably go with...

Cook/Joyce/Strauss
Benning
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Dalrymple
Sidebottom
Lewis
Anderson

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Cook/Joyce/Strauss
Benning
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Dalrymple
Sidebottom
Lewis
Anderson
Lewis is injured, and Dalrymple pretty much isn't worth it at #8 given he isn't a big hitter and his bowling in ODIs has been very dire of late.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
How's about Plunkett in for Dalrymple and Panesar in for Lewis?. Seeing as Panesar has at last began to vary his pace maybe he's still worth perservering with in the one dayers. Especially against the Windies.

HariDesi

Cricket Spectator
I don't know if appointing Flintoff as captain after he gets back would be a good idea. It would be added pressure on him right after coming back from injury. Collingwood looks to be a pretty good thinker and a good match for one day captain.

I think Flintoff should focus on getting back to his best as the team's premier allrounder before even considering captaincy. I hope the recovery goes well for him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Cook/Joyce/Strauss
Benning
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Dalrymple
Sidebottom
Lewis
Anderson
I think Cook should be a certainty, TBH - he's unlikely to be a Nick Knight but as I said elsewhere, it makes sense to get him in now. Hopefully he can be an anchorman - not the sort of role he played last summer.

And if Trescothick is available it should be him with Cook, if not Benning should get the slot. No other selection would make any sense.

Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood is almost a given at three-four-five, although Strauss might get in somewhere amongst them. Prior is almost certain to take the wicketkeeper's slot, and I'd imagine both Plunkett and Anderson will play in the bowlers. Sidebottom might well do too, but as in the Tests I remain to be convinced. There's not much point picking Jonathan Lewis now IMO, he's pretty unlikely to still be that good in 2011. I'm hoping we can assume Saj is out of the picture. :unsure:

I'm just hoping and praying that they don't do the Great Forgetfulness Act again and pick Hoggard for the umpteenth time. :wallbash:

FBU

International Debutant
I think Collingwood for captain with Cook as vice captain.

Since Flintoff and Bopara are recovering from injury I think a good replacement would be Mascarenhas.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not keen on Cook being VC when he's played 2 games, TBH. Pietersen would be OK for a power-behind-the-throne role, though... hopefully.

It might sound strange, but I wonder if being injured now is the best thing that could have happened to Bopara...

1-9-7-7

International Regular

Since Flintoff and Bopara are recovering from injury I think a good replacement would be Mascarenhas.
I agree actually.
Mascarenhas has excelled at county level recently

FBU

International Debutant
Vaughan's plans -

Vaughan has not called time on his international one-day career in the wake of the decision, but admitted that he did not expect to be included in the squad for the forthcoming Twenty20 internationals and three ODIs against West Indies which is due to be announced on Friday.

"I certainly don't expect to be picked on Friday because I think a new captain would find it very difficult captaining me a week after I've just captained him in a Test," he continued.

"I think he deserves a little bit of time getting his authority over to the team and working his method of captaincy out and if I was there I think it might be quite difficult for him.

"I think the best thing for the team is for me not to play for a while and if my body's fine and if I'm playing well then who's to say I won't come back into the one-day series, but I know I have to go away and play very, very well because my one-day record is not that good."

Hopefully the batting will be so good he won't be able to get back in. I suppose his salary will change just playing in one form of the game. I am sure he has had a say in who the next captain should be. I wonder if the new captain has already been told of his appointment so they can have his input on his team selection.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope that as soon as the decision is reached on the next ODI captain - and let's face it it's not really a multi-candidate race, is it? - then the person will be told and the announcement will be made. The sooner the better.

Agree with what Vaughan says there, but as I say - IMO he should never, ever have been picked back in 2000\01 and his presence these last 6 years has caused innumerable problems. The decision to appoint him captain, with hindsight, looks very how-typically-English-was-that.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
The big question for me is whether England continue to pick Vaughan as a player in their ODI side ?

Personally, I think if England want to be more like Australia they've got to be prepared to make tough decisions and that means dropping poor performing players irrespective of seniority.

I would drop both Vaughan and Strauss and look at building a ODI team afresh.
Oh and Collingwood would be my captaincy choice as well.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain

Good call, I'd like to see him in the side - one of the most deserving uncapped players around I think. And he's a pretty reassuring guy to have come in at 7 or 8.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not keen on Cook being VC when he's played 2 games, TBH. Pietersen would be OK for a power-behind-the-throne role, though... hopefully.

It might sound strange, but I wonder if being injured now is the best thing that could have happened to Bopara...

It does sound strange to me, not least because I was looking forward to him establishing himself at number 3 in the side, and he won't have a better opportunity than against this WI side.

btw what's with Harmy as your avatar?
1. A tribute to a decent spell yesterday?
2. Irony
3. The Angel of the North appearing to you in a vision

I'm guessing that number 3 is the most likely.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid, Richard has to have Harmison for a month as he lost the avatar challenge that him and Goughy set up. :)

gio

U19 Cricketer
I think Vaughan has done the right thing by retiring. He's still a very good test player and captain, and he should have that job until 2009, providing he doesn't completely lose form.

I'm a big fan of James Benning, and think he would be a good replacement while Trescothick is unavailable. The main problem in the England ODI side is bowling. Anderson hasn't had a great start to the season, Plunkett has basically ruled himself out of contention for the next year after his scattergun performances in the Test series, and Mahmood just hasn't impressed at all.

So I would suggest we look to:

Graham Onions (Durham) - the English management seem to fancy him, and due to a lock of options, he will probably get his chance. However, considering they at the same ground, I am concerned that both Punkett and Harmison have better county records this season.

Chris Tremlett (Hampshire) - the poor injury prone lad may well have been a fixture in the England side by now. He's back playing relatively regularly for Hampshire, and has done well. Why not give him another go.

Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire) - bowled well in spells this season. He had a bit of an unfair baptism of fire against Sri Lanka last year, but it would be harsh to discard him for evermore after that debacle. He would also offer some big hitting lower down.

So given that, I would go for:

Cook
Benning
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Shah/Sales/Hildreth/Joyce
Prior
Bresnan
Tremlett
Onions
Panesar

The final batting spot was a tough choice... ideally Flintoff or Bopara would play, but since niether are fit, I've gone for an out and out batsman, with Collingwood, Bell and Pietersen making up the other 10 overs. A bit risky perhaps, but I can't think of anyone who could replace even Bopara.