Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: batting tips- help

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar

batting tips- help

I just wondered whether anyone could give me any batting tips, as i have a big problems which has developed over the course of the season. When i ready to face the ball the grip is correct but when i attempt to play a shot i seem to change my right hand grip ( iam left handed) slightly causing me to cross bat all the time and play weak shots.

I know that people need to see it but as this must be a habit is there anything i can practice on to casue it to stop

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Bat with the other hand ??

Early backlift...watch the ball all the way onto the bat...head still....dont think too much..lol

Sounds as though you're relying on your bottom hand to do all the work. There are a million different theories on how to correct this (including the Adam Gilchrist squash ball one), but often the easier is just to loosen the grip with your bottom hand, and only use the thumb and index finger of your bottom hand to hold the bat. Make the top hand do all the work.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    many Thanks for your help guys, i will get cracking with your advice

Your bottom hand should merely add direction to the shot and solidify the shot, the top hand should make the shot almost totally.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Im a lefty too, just loosen your grip on your bottom sounds the easy solution. Or get your right elbow higher and define your shot more to stop cross-batting. I used to do that slog sweep off middle stump hahaha, got out doing it last week too i thought I was on for a six too.
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Perhaps practice one or two shots driving through the off side using just your top hand, thus not becoming too reliant on your bottom hand.

Also think you could practice getting that right elbow higher to ensure you are not dragging the shot onto the on side, which you appear to be doing now,

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    but often the easier is just to loosen the grip with your bottom hand, and only use the thumb and index finger of your bottom hand to hold the bat. Make the top hand do all the work.
    Made this change myself about a year ago. I'm still not all that great with the bat, but at least now my defensive strokes stay down.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

U19 Debutant
    I use my bottom hand too much. My coach suggested that when I drive (off, cover drives) to do a full blooded follow through. So finish with the bat hitting your back like a golf swing, instead of a check drive. With the check drive I tended to use the bottom hand too much to push the ball into the air. I've been doing this for anything pitched up (on and offside drives) and it works great. Also try using a short backlift.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Can some one give me some tips please I find playing balls which are being bowled (not wide) but slightly on the leg side are there any shots which I can play.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Can some one give me some tips please I find playing balls which are being bowled (not wide) but slightly on the leg side are there any shots which I can play.
    Well, it depends on what length the ball is. If it's fullish, then you can either leg-glance it or sweep it. I prefer to leg-glance them, since I find them easier, but you may prefer the sweep. Foot movement is essential, becuase you'll just miss the ball if you swipe at.

If it's pitched shorter, then pulling it round the corner will be better. I find the pull shot very easy, and the clip round the corner much more difficult, but again it's just preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Well, it depends on what length the ball is. If it's fullish, then you can either leg-glance it or sweep it. I prefer to leg-glance them, since I find them easier, but you may prefer the sweep. Foot movement is essential, becuase you'll just miss the ball if you swipe at.

If it's pitched shorter, then pulling it round the corner will be better. I find the pull shot very easy, and the clip round the corner much more difficult, but again it's just preference.
    Thanks

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I have this bad habit of playing a one handed pull shot. I lean towards the short ball and try a front foot pull shot and take my bottom hand off at the last moment, it's ugly.

In fact ugly cross bat shots are really creeping in to the way I play, though I don't see the problem if you make a good connection.

I'd hazard a guess that you're opening your shoulders too much. Try staying more side on and "compact", when playing the pull shot. It will allow your whole body to generate power, as well as keeping your top hand in control of the shot. It will also make it easier to pull quicker bowlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post
    Im a lefty too, just loosen your grip on your bottom sounds the easy solution. Or get your right elbow higher and define your shot more to stop cross-batting. I used to do that slog sweep off middle stump hahaha, got out doing it last week too i thought I was on for a six too.
    Yeah, both hands should definitely be on the bat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information