• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

batting tips- help

chris.hinton

International Captain
I just wondered whether anyone could give me any batting tips, as i have a big problems which has developed over the course of the season. When i ready to face the ball the grip is correct but when i attempt to play a shot i seem to change my right hand grip ( iam left handed) slightly causing me to cross bat all the time and play weak shots.

I know that people need to see it but as this must be a habit is there anything i can practice on to casue it to stop

iamdavid

International Debutant
Bat with the other hand ??

Early backlift...watch the ball all the way onto the bat...head still....dont think too much..lol

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sounds as though you're relying on your bottom hand to do all the work. There are a million different theories on how to correct this (including the Adam Gilchrist squash ball one), but often the easier is just to loosen the grip with your bottom hand, and only use the thumb and index finger of your bottom hand to hold the bat. Make the top hand do all the work.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Your bottom hand should merely add direction to the shot and solidify the shot, the top hand should make the shot almost totally.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Im a lefty too, just loosen your grip on your bottom sounds the easy solution. Or get your right elbow higher and define your shot more to stop cross-batting. I used to do that slog sweep off middle stump hahaha, got out doing it last week too i thought I was on for a six too.

Woodster

International Captain
Perhaps practice one or two shots driving through the off side using just your top hand, thus not becoming too reliant on your bottom hand.

Also think you could practice getting that right elbow higher to ensure you are not dragging the shot onto the on side, which you appear to be doing now,

shortpitched713

International Captain
but often the easier is just to loosen the grip with your bottom hand, and only use the thumb and index finger of your bottom hand to hold the bat. Make the top hand do all the work.
Made this change myself about a year ago. I'm still not all that great with the bat, but at least now my defensive strokes stay down.

Isura

U19 Captain
I use my bottom hand too much. My coach suggested that when I drive (off, cover drives) to do a full blooded follow through. So finish with the bat hitting your back like a golf swing, instead of a check drive. With the check drive I tended to use the bottom hand too much to push the ball into the air. I've been doing this for anything pitched up (on and offside drives) and it works great. Also try using a short backlift.

cover drive man

International Captain
Can some one give me some tips please I find playing balls which are being bowled (not wide) but slightly on the leg side are there any shots which I can play.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Can some one give me some tips please I find playing balls which are being bowled (not wide) but slightly on the leg side are there any shots which I can play.
Well, it depends on what length the ball is. If it's fullish, then you can either leg-glance it or sweep it. I prefer to leg-glance them, since I find them easier, but you may prefer the sweep. Foot movement is essential, becuase you'll just miss the ball if you swipe at.

If it's pitched shorter, then pulling it round the corner will be better. I find the pull shot very easy, and the clip round the corner much more difficult, but again it's just preference.

cover drive man

International Captain
Well, it depends on what length the ball is. If it's fullish, then you can either leg-glance it or sweep it. I prefer to leg-glance them, since I find them easier, but you may prefer the sweep. Foot movement is essential, becuase you'll just miss the ball if you swipe at.

If it's pitched shorter, then pulling it round the corner will be better. I find the pull shot very easy, and the clip round the corner much more difficult, but again it's just preference.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Not wanting to hijack the thread but I have this bad habit of playing a one handed pull shot. I lean towards the short ball and try a front foot pull shot and take my bottom hand off at the last moment, it's ugly.

In fact ugly cross bat shots are really creeping in to the way I play, though I don't see the problem if you make a good connection.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd hazard a guess that you're opening your shoulders too much. Try staying more side on and "compact", when playing the pull shot. It will allow your whole body to generate power, as well as keeping your top hand in control of the shot. It will also make it easier to pull quicker bowlers.

howardj

International Coach
Im a lefty too, just loosen your grip on your bottom sounds the easy solution. Or get your right elbow higher and define your shot more to stop cross-batting. I used to do that slog sweep off middle stump hahaha, got out doing it last week too i thought I was on for a six too.
Yeah, both hands should definitely be on the bat.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Start with working on defending them back to the bowler. Then when you're confident on doing that (the key is getting your foot out to it as the foot movement opens your body, unlike the forward step to the straight and cover drive/defensives.

The next step is then to simply turn your wrists on impact to guide the ball away to square leg rather than back to the bowler.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh:

I think your thinking too much. Watch the ball mate.
Heard Graeme Pollock speak once about various techniques and he said it's a simple, watch-the-ball-hit-the-ball game.

Easy for him to say with a test average over 60!!!! What about the mere mortals among us? :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Heard Graeme Pollock speak once about various techniques and he said it's a simple, watch-the-ball-hit-the-ball game.

Easy for him to say with a test average over 60!!!! What about the mere mortals among us? :)
Haha yeah. I'm playing winter cricket at the moment, and I've had 3 failures in a row, 8, 10 and 7, but I'm not too concerned, I'm actually batting the way I want to bat except for the ball I get out on..

In my last game, we didn't have an umpire so one of my teammates umpired, he gave me out LBW when I hit the ball onto my legs, so dire giving your mate out lbw unless it's plum!