• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bedi: Gavaskar is a destructive influence

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hahaha, that's just crazy. Gavaskar might be bad in some respects but compared to Bedi he looks the positive cricketing saint.

Bouncer

State Regular
Gavaskar a 'destructive' influence - Bishan Bedi

Am i not the right most person on this forum or what??
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1225337&highlight=10K%2A%2A%2A#post1225337

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/298297.html

Bishan Singh Bedi, a former Indian captain, has delivered a scathing salvo against another, Sunil Gavaskar, in the wake of recent happenings in Indian cricket.

Bedi termed Gavaskar a "destructive" influence and felt he "always liked power without accountability". These comments come in the wake of Gavaskar criticising Dav Whatmore in one of his columns, despite being part of the committee that was to decide the next coach.

"Cricket circles had immense and blind respect for him [as a cricketer] and he successfully used this to ensure that board officials remained in awe of him," Bedi told Outlook, a weekly Indian magazine. "He wants the glamour, the position and if there are any financial gains so much the better ... but he does not want any accountability. He's always liked power without accountability."

Bedi was critical of Gavaskar's role at the National Cricket Academy, where he was the director from 2001 to 2006. "I had a lot of time for his batting but never as a thought leader," said Bedi. "You tell me what his contribution has been. He is destructive, there is nothing positive. I remember the time I was called by the then NCA director Brijesh Patel, along with Erapalli Prasanna and VV Kumar, to train spinners there. We did not hear at all from NCA chairman Gavaskar before, during or after the camp. I also recall his presiding over a captains and coaches meeting where he gave me the impression that he was not even listening.

"I can't forget the time he once told a team meeting 'The day I stop thinking of money, I will stagnate'."

Gavaskar has been embroiled in a few controversies in the last few years, one of them involving writing about how John Wright, India's former coach, was abused by the players only after Wright's term ended. More recently he suggested John Emburey as a candidate for the job of Indian coach despite the fact that his coaching credentials were less than impressive.

Bouncer

State Regular
Hahaha, that's just crazy. Gavaskar might be bad in some respects but compared to Bedi he looks the positive cricketing saint.

I disagree, Bedi has made some horrible statents over last 10 years or so but he has not done any damage to Indian cricket, but on the other hand Gavaskar has used media to not only get attention from cricket crazy people but he has made them belive that he (sunnY) knows more about how things should be ran....he is one attention whore and he has always gotten paid in mean time too. so its a win win or in Mr 10K's case, its a $,$situation

adharcric

International Coach
Despite his idiotic nature, I'd have to agree with Bedi here. Gavaskar does seem like someone who is always trying to impose himself on Indian cricket and exert his power but never actually helps out in a substantial manner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree, Bedi has made some horrible statents over last 10 years or so but he has not done any damage to Indian cricket, but on the other hand Gavaskar has used media to not only get attention from cricket crazy people but he has made them belive that he (sunnY) knows more about how things should be ran....he is one attention whore and he has always gotten paid in mean time too. so its a win win or in Mr 10K's case, its a $,$situation
If he wants to be listened to so much, why has he never run for a high position in The BCCI?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If he wants to be listened to so much, why has he never run for a high position in The BCCI?
Isn't that the point that people are making? He does so much talking about how things should be, and what's wrong with Indian cricket, yet sits behind the shield in the media and doesn't do anything to fix it.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Isn't Bedi the one who showed up drunk at an awards ceremony? Also, it seems Gavaskar has got the right contacts in the BCCI because he always seems to be part of every important working committee. However, I'd rather it be Gavaskar than someone like Laloo Prasad or Sharad Pawar.

Bouncer

State Regular
I will quote Bedi agian

"He wants the glamour, the position and if there are any financial gains so much the better ... but he does not want any accountability. He's always liked power without accountability."

Why would u waaana position in BCCI when you can have all the influence while standing outside and this way you are also not accoutatable to (whatever) code of conduct BCCI may have, another perk is getting to do all the commentating assignments + writing columns, again as i said for mr Sunny its a Win win ($,$) situation

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bedi should just shut up. What has he done for Indian Cricket since his retirement ?

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't that the point that people are making? He does so much talking about how things should be, and what's wrong with Indian cricket, yet sits behind the shield in the media and doesn't do anything to fix it.
And how do you know he doesn't do anything ?

He is part of coach selection committee, has been associated with NCA for years. He has been more than willing to help any Indian batsmen who needs help with batting. What more do we want from him ? Coach Indian team ? Why should he, he is not a qualified coach.

He gets paid to write in the media, and that's what he does like everyone else in the media.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ever heard of Imran Khan ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, is there a thread at the moment that has any relation to India or Pakistan whatsoever that hasn't turned into Sanz-Bouncer (can't remember his name) warfare? 8-)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sanz, don't edit quotes please. We all know that wasn't "originally posted by Bouncer" for starters, and personal abuse is not tolerated in any rate.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz, don't edit quotes please. We all know that wasn't "originally posted by Bouncer" for starters, and personal abuse is not tolerated in any rate.
*Gone*. There was no personal abuse in the post though, unless you consider the word 'Troll' as one.