Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedi: Gavaskar is a destructive influence

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Bedi: Gavaskar is a destructive influence

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/indi...ry/298297.html

I don't necessarily disagree with him, but its quite rich coming from Bedi, considering his reputation and past actions. I say we get both of them to fight a duel to the death in a cage, broadcast it on pay per view, and use the money to build better infrastructure for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Hahaha, that's just crazy. Gavaskar might be bad in some respects but compared to Bedi he looks the positive cricketing saint.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )

Gavaskar a 'destructive' influence - Bishan Bedi

Am i not the right most person on this forum or what??
    The Bloke at the TAS Vs. NSW Match

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indi...ry/298297.html

Bishan Singh Bedi, a former Indian captain, has delivered a scathing salvo against another, Sunil Gavaskar, in the wake of recent happenings in Indian cricket.

Bedi termed Gavaskar a "destructive" influence and felt he "always liked power without accountability". These comments come in the wake of Gavaskar criticising Dav Whatmore in one of his columns, despite being part of the committee that was to decide the next coach.

"Cricket circles had immense and blind respect for him [as a cricketer] and he successfully used this to ensure that board officials remained in awe of him," Bedi told Outlook, a weekly Indian magazine. "He wants the glamour, the position and if there are any financial gains so much the better ... but he does not want any accountability. He's always liked power without accountability."

Bedi was critical of Gavaskar's role at the National Cricket Academy, where he was the director from 2001 to 2006. "I had a lot of time for his batting but never as a thought leader," said Bedi. "You tell me what his contribution has been. He is destructive, there is nothing positive. I remember the time I was called by the then NCA director Brijesh Patel, along with Erapalli Prasanna and VV Kumar, to train spinners there. We did not hear at all from NCA chairman Gavaskar before, during or after the camp. I also recall his presiding over a captains and coaches meeting where he gave me the impression that he was not even listening.

"I can't forget the time he once told a team meeting 'The day I stop thinking of money, I will stagnate'."

Gavaskar has been embroiled in a few controversies in the last few years, one of them involving writing about how John Wright, India's former coach, was abused by the players only after Wright's term ended. More recently he suggested John Emburey as a candidate for the job of Indian coach despite the fact that his coaching credentials were less than impressive.
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hahaha, that's just crazy. Gavaskar might be bad in some respects but compared to Bedi he looks the positive cricketing saint.

I disagree, Bedi has made some horrible statents over last 10 years or so but he has not done any damage to Indian cricket, but on the other hand Gavaskar has used media to not only get attention from cricket crazy people but he has made them belive that he (sunnY) knows more about how things should be ran....he is one attention whore and he has always gotten paid in mean time too. so its a win win or in Mr 10K's case, its a $,$situation

Despite his idiotic nature, I'd have to agree with Bedi here. Gavaskar does seem like someone who is always trying to impose himself on Indian cricket and exert his power but never actually helps out in a substantial manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
    I disagree, Bedi has made some horrible statents over last 10 years or so but he has not done any damage to Indian cricket, but on the other hand Gavaskar has used media to not only get attention from cricket crazy people but he has made them belive that he (sunnY) knows more about how things should be ran....he is one attention whore and he has always gotten paid in mean time too. so its a win win or in Mr 10K's case, its a $,$situation
    If he wants to be listened to so much, why has he never run for a high position in The BCCI?

If he wants to be listened to so much, why has he never run for a high position in The BCCI?
    Isn't that the point that people are making? He does so much talking about how things should be, and what's wrong with Indian cricket, yet sits behind the shield in the media and doesn't do anything to fix it.

Oh right, OK.

Sorry if I misinterpreted.

Isn't Bedi the one who showed up drunk at an awards ceremony? Also, it seems Gavaskar has got the right contacts in the BCCI because he always seems to be part of every important working committee. However, I'd rather it be Gavaskar than someone like Laloo Prasad or Sharad Pawar.

I will quote Bedi agian

"He wants the glamour, the position and if there are any financial gains so much the better ... but he does not want any accountability. He's always liked power without accountability."

Why would u waaana position in BCCI when you can have all the influence while standing outside and this way you are also not accoutatable to (whatever) code of conduct BCCI may have, another perk is getting to do all the commentating assignments + writing columns, again as i said for mr Sunny its a Win win ($,$) situation

Bedi should just shut up. What has he done for Indian Cricket since his retirement ?
    Last edited by Sanz; 18-06-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Isn't that the point that people are making? He does so much talking about how things should be, and what's wrong with Indian cricket, yet sits behind the shield in the media and doesn't do anything to fix it.
    And how do you know he doesn't do anything ?

He is part of coach selection committee, has been associated with NCA for years. He has been more than willing to help any Indian batsmen who needs help with batting. What more do we want from him ? Coach Indian team ? Why should he, he is not a qualified coach.

He gets paid to write in the media, and that's what he does like everyone else in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
    Ever heard of Imran Khan ?

FFS, is there a thread at the moment that has any relation to India or Pakistan whatsoever that hasn't turned into Sanz-Bouncer (can't remember his name) warfare?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information