• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future England Prospects?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tim Ambrose - been around for ages now (started out in 2001), just one of a fair galaxy of 'keepers currently jostling for position. And probably not that high up, either.
Isn't Ambrose an Ocker? I reckon he could be the new Martin McCague (though not in terms of playing style, obviously, more in terms of vilification) if he rocked up for England in the Ashes, for example.

FBU

International Debutant
Out of the names mentioned so far...

Tom Smith - has looked a heck of a prospect to me ever since I saw him at u19 level. The ability to hold lines and lengths at his age (and he's always had it) is not something you see every day. He just needs to start taking a few wickets.
I think Newby is a better bowler but Smith will be the better all rounder.
This season-
Newby 5 games 14 wickets at 20.14 econ 3.24 s/r 37.2
Smith 5 games 8 wickets at 37.12 econ 3.72 s/r 59.8

I don't think the captain had much faith in Smith's bowling in the latest game
6.5-0-37-0
10-0-44-1

compared to Anderson
22.4-7-64-3
22-6-48-2
:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've barely been reading-up this season, and if Smith's going poorly that's a big disappointment.

But I just can't get my head around the notion that Newby will be better than him. No way.

Anderson's obviously currently far better than both, of course.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I know but it's not particularly specific to a date, is it? I just thought it was an interesting read.

Anna

:p

Shame he didn't get a bowl today. I was sitting almost behind the bowler's arm, so it would've been a good view... :D

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
If he bowls "handy medium pacers" then why don't he bowl more often?. Oh yeah....Somerset build their team around medium pacers, Caddick, Parsons, Turner, Jones, Trego.:ph34r:

Anna

:p :p :p :p He bowled quite a bit in 2005 when Somerset won the 20/20 final & took quite a few wickets for not many IIRC.

Last edited:

Hoole Seal

Cricket Spectator
Its been interesting lately with all the retirements occurring and the talk that Australia is going to be toppled from their no. 1 status in both forms of the game. I just want to create this thread to see who England will have in their team for the next ten years to combat the Australians. (Strangely though for me, as an Australian, I'm more interested in the English game then ours).

I think the likes of Rashid and Bopra are givens to be in the team in the next 5 years. On the other hand, my thoughts drift towards even younger players. Please comment on this list of players and there likelihood to wear the 3 lions on their chest.

Varun Chopra
Mark Pettini
Moeen Ali
James Harris
Tim Ambrose
Billy Godleman
Tom Smith
Of the name's mentioned, Tom Smith's the one that stand's out for me.

He had a good season last year, but due to the competition for place's at Lancashire now, especially with Anderson and Mahmood out of favour at International level, he hasn't been selected in the team every week.

He's only young, and if given the chance to develop at County level over the next couple of year's, does have the making's of a very good prospect.