• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 5 for the All Time Test XI

# 5 for the All Time Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oz_fan

International Regular
This is a poll to decide the # 5 for the All Time Test XI. The contenders are:

Batsman Mat Inn NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50
George Headley - 22 40 4 2190 270* 223 176 60.83 10 5
Viv Richards - 121 182 12 8540 291 232 208 50.23 24 45
Sachin Tendulkar - 137 220 23 10922 248* 241* 217 55.44 37 43
Brian Lara - 131 232 6 11953 400* 375 277 52.88 34 48
Gary Sobers - 93 160 21 8032 365* 226 198 57.78 26 30

Viv Richards already has one vote from Matt79.

oz_fan

International Regular
I'm going to vote for Lara just ahead of Richards but I wouldn't mind either making the team.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went for Brian Lara, I feel Viv is over-rated *prepares to be lynched*

Perm

:mad:

Anyway I voted for George, scored 10 of the first 20 tons scored by WI batsman, and no one else managed two
Maybe it's because I haven't seen Viv dominate the bowlers like he did when he was batting as I was unfortunate enough to never see him bat, add to that the stats don't really make him look that good. I guess he is one of those guys you have to see to beleive.

Fiery

Banned
Maybe it's because I haven't seen Viv dominate the bowlers like he did when he was batting as I was unfortunate enough to never see him bat, add to that the stats don't really make him look that good. I guess he is one of those guys you have to see to beleive.
Yep, batted with such brutal arrogance. Even his stride to the crease was enough to make bowlers pee their pants

Perm

Yep, batted with such brutal arrogance. Even his stride to the crease was enough to make bowlers pee their pants
I've heard stories and read articles that suggest as much, but I think he was one of those guys you had to see in order to fully understand how good he was.

Fiery

Banned
I've heard stories and read articles that suggest as much, but I think he was one of those guys you had to see in order to fully understand how good he was.
It would certainly help understand how good he was if you saw him... so yeah you're right there imo. You can't really use stats alone to decide how good someone was. My opinion of Graeme Hick is a lot higher than his test record suggests, for example.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think it just comes down to personal preference(they are all good enough to make the XI), and mine is for Sir Viv .

Perm

It would certainly help understand how good he was if you saw him... so yeah you're right there imo. You can't really use stats alone to decide how good someone was. My opinion of Graeme Hick is a lot higher than his test record suggests, for example.
You can't use stats alone to decide how good someone was, but they usually give you a fair idea. Viv managed to keep his average above 50 with his final innings in Test cricket, something that doesn't impress me that much. If he had retired after ten years at the top then I would have him in my All Time XI, as it is he doesn't come close.

Viv Richards.The All Time XI is looks excellent with the selections made until now but its very shameful that a part-time calibre bowler is most likely to make the side as an allrounder.

Perm

Just a tad OT, thoughts on Sobers being the best batsmen in the above group of 5?
Yes IMO, but this is often overlooked because of his bowling ability. If he played his entire career as a batsman then he would be probably be considered one of the very best ever, certainly ranked higher than he is now.