Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2000 years

The 2000 years

Watching the highlights of a England v West Indies Test in 1998 got me thinking about the various dedicates of cricket.

We're already half way through 2007, and getting towards the end of this particular decade.

In going back through the 70s, 80s and 90s we saw in each decade the emergence of many world class batsmen and bowlers in each particular period.

But in the past seven years, have we seen any player come onto the international scene who will ever be considered in the greats of world cricket or even show the ability to be considered one of the greats in the future? I'm only referring to players who made their debut since 2000 so that rules out the obvious ones such as Warne & McGrath.

Are we about to see the weakest decade in terms of players on the international scene? With Warne & McGrath having now retired, are there any true great bowlers even left in the game?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I reckon that Mohammed Asif could be a great, has all the things needed to become a really top-class seam and swing bowler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    What about Kevin Pieterson?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Yeah, KP could very well be considered a great, but I think James was more talking about bowlers, which there is a serious lack of at the moment.

What about Lasith Malinga and Shaun Tait.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Are we about to see the weakest decade in terms of players on the international scene? With Warne & McGrath having now retired, are there any true great bowlers even left in the game?
    Bit harsh on Murali there.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Murali hasnt got much time left in his career I think thats what James meant.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    How could I forget Murali!

well there are mohd asif and umar gul,
    bowlers like malinga,tait are unproven in test matches and only bowl good in the death overs.

hoggard is a bowler who isnt celebrated much but will be remembered as a great once he retires

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Mohammad Yousuf? I think he made his debut before 2000 but only in recent years has he really established himself on the world stage.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    hoggard is a bowler who isnt celebrated much but will be remembered as a great once he retires
    Hoggard won't be remembered as great when he retires. Solid, class, quite good. But not great. I was thinking of starting this thread actually. With McGrath retiring and even before that, you'd have to say this is one of the leanest period of Test bowling ever. You can put abit of it on the rules favouring batsmen, the size of the bats, the shortening of boundaries etc, but even with all that, the actual talent is really really dire and there's no indication it's going to get any better in the near future. Some of the bowlers fielded these days in Test sides are truly woeful and they're becoming the rule, not the exception.

Hopefully it's just a cycle that we're nearing the end of. Hopefully.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    As for bowlers, Ntini I suppose - there aren't many under-30s at the top of the rankings though.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I reckon that Mohammed Asif could be a great, has all the things needed to become a really top-class seam and swing bowler.
    ? Not really seen Asif swing the ball much if at all so far in his career, has the ability to seam it both ways though.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Pieterson, Cook, Graeme Smith, Michael Clarke....remember Smith and Clarke are still only about 26 if i remember correctly, they have time on their sides, Ponting will certainly be remembered as a great and they are as good and at least as well established in their respective sides as he was at the same age.

There are plenty of batsman around who I can see possibly making that step up....but bowlers....erm

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    ? Not really seen Asif swing the ball much if at all so far in his career, has the ability to seam it both ways though.
    I've certainly seen Asif swing the bowl considerably. He's a better seam bowler admittedly, but he certainly can swing it both ways as well.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information