• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2000 years

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Watching the highlights of a England v West Indies Test in 1998 got me thinking about the various dedicates of cricket.

We're already half way through 2007, and getting towards the end of this particular decade.

In going back through the 70s, 80s and 90s we saw in each decade the emergence of many world class batsmen and bowlers in each particular period.

But in the past seven years, have we seen any player come onto the international scene who will ever be considered in the greats of world cricket or even show the ability to be considered one of the greats in the future? I'm only referring to players who made their debut since 2000 so that rules out the obvious ones such as Warne & McGrath (and Murali).

Are we about to see the weakest decade in terms of players on the international scene? With Warne & McGrath having now retired, are there any true great bowlers (except Murali) even left in the game?
Apart from Murali who Cameron mentioned, there aren't, I can't see, any bowlers who are currently undoubted on-the-road-to-greatness bowlers. Mohammad Asif, if all goes well, probably will end-up being so. And Stuart Clark looks likely to be rather good, if only in a relatively short Test career.

But yeah - it's hardly a secret that the 2000s have been a dreadful decade for bowling, almost certainly worse than any other.

cover drive man

International Captain
Yes. But he's not as good as Bob Willis or even Angus Fraser IMO. And it's highly debatable whether either of them even fall into the "great" category. Though Fraser, certainly, IMO had the talent to and could easily have done had he not had such bad injury problems.

The last true, undisputable greats of English seam bowling were Alec Bedser, Brian Statham and Frederick Sewards Trueman.
Yes but Hoggard still has a bit of his career left.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes but Hoggard still has a bit of his career left.
Hoggard could quite easily get to 300 Test wickets imo.
Indeed, on both counts. I'm hoping he can play for a good 4 or 5 years yet. But even if he gets 400 Test wickets, I can't ever see him becoming the sort of bowler who can be categorised as all-time great material. He just doesn't have the raw materials, and never has. He's not especially tall (almost all the very best bowlers have been pretty big, and the exceptions - Malcolm Marshall always the first to be thought of - were extremely special) and his accuracy is not a given. He can bowl pinpoint of times, but he can also go around the park.

And he's still not managed to take wickets in all conditions.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mohammad Asif
Kevin Pietersen
Alistair Cook

Those are the three names that spring to mind as potential greats straight away, with guys like Umar Gul, Michael Clarke and Graeme Smith having the potential to be very good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
These days I think Clarke might have the potential to be near enough as good as Pietersen and Cook.

And you can almost always bank on India producing a fine batsman or two (or sometimes even 3) in a decade. I'll be surprised if someone doesn't emerge very soon.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Indeed, on both counts. I'm hoping he can play for a good 4 or 5 years yet. But even if he gets 400 Test wickets, I can't ever see him becoming the sort of bowler who can be categorised as all-time great material.
Tbh, I don't think that anyone was really suggesting that he was 'all time great material', maybe a great of the era or something, because 400 wickets nowadays for a 77-78mph swing bowler is no mean feat.

pasag

RTDAS
Mohammad Asif
Kevin Pietersen
Alistair Cook

Those are the three names that spring to mind as potential greats straight away, with guys like Umar Gul, Michael Clarke and Graeme Smith having the potential to be very good.
Would swap Clarke and Cook in that list tbh, Clarke is probably more underrated because he plays for a better side, Australia and Cook overrated because he plays for a side not as good, England.

Edit. Richard beat me to it more or less.

Perm

These days I think Clarke might have the potential to be near enough as good as Pietersen and Cook.

And you can almost always bank on India producing a fine batsman or two (or sometimes even 3) in a decade. I'll be surprised if someone doesn't emerge very soon.
Michael Clarke has the potential but I don't think he will be noticed as much because he won't dominate the batting in his team like Pietersen and Cook will for England.

India have already got a few young gun batsman (Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina) who haven't really set the world on fire in International cricket yet, but they certainly have big wraps on them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tbh, I don't think that anyone was really suggesting that he was 'all time great material', maybe a great of the era or something, because 400 wickets nowadays for a 77-78mph swing bowler is no mean feat.
"Great"'s such a difficult thing to pin down, TBH.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I quite confident that Piyush Chawla will do well.
How long will it take him to get in the team on a regular basis and prove himself though? If anything, I think Chawla will be a playing of 2010's era - I don't see him getting a regular place in the team and then proving himself within in the next two and a half years. Asif and Malinga have already laid the groundwork.

Perm

I quite confident that Piyush Chawla will do well.
Me to actually, he has been good in domestic cricket overall and impressed in the few ODI games he has played. However I don't like seeing him in the side at such a young age, I think it would be far better for his development as a bowler if he continued to work away in domestic cricket instead of learning his trade in international cricket.

cover drive man

International Captain
Indeed, on both counts. I'm hoping he can play for a good 4 or 5 years yet. But even if he gets 400 Test wickets, I can't ever see him becoming the sort of bowler who can be categorised as all-time great material. He just doesn't have the raw materials, and never has. He's not especially tall (almost all the very best bowlers have been pretty big, and the exceptions - Malcolm Marshall always the first to be thought of - were extremely special) and his accuracy is not a given. He can bowl pinpoint of times, but he can also go around the park.

And he's still not managed to take wickets in all conditions.
There are two types of great "great" As in very good As like many old players and "All time great" Hoggard is great not all time great I'm sure he will be rememberd as great but not "legend great". I will remember him as great but not all time great.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There are two types of great "great" As in very good As like many old players and "All time great" Hoggard is great not all time great I'm sure he will be rememberd as great but not "legend great". I will remember him as great but not all time great.
Yeah, that's difference between being great and being a great. At least that's how I always used the terms, anyway. This thread is about the latter really.