• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hail Pidge

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gives a pretty good insight into what McGrath is like to face IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
haha, you might have to fight this battle on your own Prince :p
I was actually thinking about how much SS would love this thread before Xuhaib posted. Chopra writing an article about how good McGrath is would be enough to make him shead a tear of joy - let alone someone starting a thread about it called "Hail Pidge" with the opening post calling Chopra a pretty good opener.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Chopra is a gun. He is technically correct and can stick around for a long time, which is exactly what India need. He doesn't play the annoying flashy shots that causes him to lose his wickets like pretty much everyone else. He was discarded because he wasn't converting his starts, but the mere fact that he is best equipped to, ahem, SEE OFF THE NEW BALL, seems to be lost on the moronic selectors.

In any case, awesome article.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Looked hopeless when he came to Pakistan in 2004, I guess first impressions are the last impressions.
He sure did, but that was after Sri Chandidas Ganguly destoyed his confidence in order to save his spot in the middle order and by promoting Yuvraj as opener.

On a side note - Chopra's articles are awesome, great to read. He has a very bright future in media. :)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Aakash Chopra was useless and he failed on a lot of decent batting wickets. Chopra makes the likes of Daren Ganga not only look good but flamboyant, he really was beyond limited. Nice article though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aakash Chopra was useless and he failed on a lot of decent batting wickets. Chopra makes the likes of Daren Ganga not only look good but flamboyant, he really was beyond limited. Nice article though.
Why must you hate every batsman I like? :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What batsman do you like other than Chopra?
Well, Dippenaar for one, Ganga for another. Don't mind Collingwood or Kemp in ODIs either. Beginning to see a pattern there.

Obviously none of those are particularly good players and I have favourites which are better than that lot, but out of the batsmen that aren't particularly good that I have a liking for, you seem to think most of them are the most rubbish of rubbish to ever grace the earth. :p

iamdavid

International Debutant
In his own right Chopra was not good enough to hold down a spot in that Indian top order, he was pretty one-dimensional and didnt go on with it despite numerous oppurtunities.

But India were a better team with him than without him, look at the 2003-04 (i think) series in Australia, I dont think he would have averaged more than 25 but the impact he had on the series was huge, consistently seeing off the new ball and forming productive opening partnerships with Sehwag, he allowed the awesome middle order to play with freedom and they racked up a huge amount of runs.
It must be noted McGrath and Warne were missing that series, but still he deserves credit and should have been treated better than he was.

Chopra poses an interesting question whether the selectors should be picking the best man for each position in the team, or the best team team to win each game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India doesn't necessarily need an opener that can score, it needs an opener that can stay around and see off the new ball. India has a middler order than can score, but only if the ball doesn't swing, bounce, or do anything except come straight on at knee height.

An opener that can see off the first session of play, regardless of how much he scores, is absolutely invaluable.