• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Sir Beefy now

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
CW Article

Nice summary there pasag.

Personally I think it's great that Botham has been knighted, his services to charity have been unbeleivable for quite a few years now. Still sounds weird, Sir Ian Botham, in a romantic kind of way.

Fiery

Banned
CW Article

Nice summary there pasag.

Personally I think it's great that Botham has been knighted, his services to charity have been unbeleivable for quite a few years now. Still sounds weird, Sir Ian Botham, in a romantic kind of way.
Sorry, I missed pasag's article. He deserves it imo too

stumpski

International Captain
He's become very stuffy and pompous in middle age so it suits him much more that it would've done when he was younger. Smiles almost as seldom as Bob Willis.

Perm

:laugh:

Cheers Perm and re the article, it was submitted after the thread was created so there's no problem there.
Yeah I thought that was probably the case, just pointing everyone in the direction of the CW article on that piece of news :)

stumpski

International Captain
The man himself will be appearing on Sky's Cricket AM in a few minutes, if anyone's interested.

Perm

I'm pretty interested to see how they discuss it during the cricket tonight (I hope it's not raining) and see how Botham handles the accolade and attention.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still sounds weird, Sir Ian Botham, in a romantic kind of way.
I'm wondering how it'll sound in commentary. Can't imagine David Gower saying "now to take-up the commentary, Michael Atherton and Sir Ian Botham".

Mind, Sir Vivian Richards has been commentating (mostly on radio) for years and they never say it there, so it probably won't be much of a big deal.

Perm

I'm wondering how it'll sound in commentary. Can't imagine David Gower saying "now to take-up the commentary, Michael Atherton and Sir Ian Botham".

Mind, Sir Vivian Richards has been commentating (mostly on radio) for years and they never say it there, so it probably won't be much of a big deal.
But Gower should say Sir Ian Botham, shouldn't it? After all the "Sir" is part of his name now.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I don't particularly like the guy but you can't argue with the work he's done for charity over the last few years. It's not like walking from Lands End to John O' Groats is like getting into a bath filled with baked beans either, he's actually put in the hard yards. So fair play and congratulations to him.

I reckon the cricket commentators from Sky and TMS who have been knighted are going to form an elitist group now and shut out commoners like Nasser Hussain. Yes, it's Sir Viv, Sir Beefy and Sir Boycs all the way now, and Simon Mann will be making the tea.

Perm

I don't particularly like the guy but you can't argue with the work he's done for charity over the last few years. It's not like walking from Lands End to John O' Groats is like getting into a bath filled with baked beans either, he's actually put in the hard yards. So fair play and congratulations to him.

I reckon the cricket commentators from Sky and TMS who have been knighted are going to form an elitist group now and shut out commoners like Nasser Hussain. Yes, it's Sir Viv, Sir Beefy and Sir Boycs all the way now, and Simon Mann will be making the tea.
Hussain is pretty good TBH.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Long overdue & well deserved. Don't rate him as a commentator, but great cricketer & has done absolutely striling work for charity. As S_F said he actually puts his body on the line for his charity too.

On a tangentially related note I see Barry Humphries has been made a CBE too. I was under the impression Australia had its own honours system now?