• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Sir Beefy now

roobarb

Cricket Spectator
Botham is an arrogant overbearing git who latches onto a point and repeats it ad nauseum. There was a point made in today's "Observer" (can't remember who by but it was in the cricket section) that he was impossible to argue with as whenever you were making progress in anargument he would come out with the comment "well how many test wickets did you get then?". Was a great cricketer and has done loads for charity so deserves it as much as anyone "deserves" an honour.

Crap commentator and generally irritating git, however. Was worried that his knighthood would make him more overbearing and irritating but fail to see how this is possible.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Botham is an arrogant overbearing git who latches onto a point and repeats it ad nauseum. There was a point made in today's "Observer" (can't remember who by but it was in the cricket section) that he was impossible to argue with as whenever you were making progress in anargument he would come out with the comment "well how many test wickets did you get then?". Was a great cricketer and has done loads for charity so deserves it as much as anyone "deserves" an honour.

Crap commentator and generally irritating git, however. Was worried that his knighthood would make him more overbearing and irritating but fail to see how this is possible.
Vic Marks.

Piper

International Captain
All I can say is, it's well deserved. I didn't really know much other than his cricket and all the drinking and such. So when I read about what he had done for charity I was amazed. He is much more deserving than others who have been honoured.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's what I think of your selection policy...Yes I've hit the odd copper, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby but will you piss off and leave me alone? I'm walking to John O'Groats for some spastics!
:lol: Great reference, hilarious quote!
Haha, well played. Had forgotten about that.

For Cameron (Warning: mild language etc)
LOL! From that video:

"People see me, and they see the suit, and they go You're not foolin anyone! They know i'm rocknroll through and through."

:laugh:

Screw studying for my last exam (i.e. procrastinating on CW), I'm gonna go watch some of The Office now. I'm in the mood.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BING LEE thread. You criticised me and suggested I was being hyperbolic when I used a perfectly valid similie.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BING LEE thread. You criticised me and suggested I was being hyperbolic when I used a perfectly valid simily.

Dear me. You actually compared him to a criminal, IIRC, whereas what I (and saggers) did was use Craigos's premise to come to a ridiculous conclusion to show what he said wasn't a point that was defendable. It's not analogous at all.

& it's simile, FYI.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BING LEE thread. You criticised me and suggested I was being hyperbolic when I used a perfectly valid simily.
Spends countless nights feeling bitter and unloved does Richard, always plotting his revenge.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Dear me. You actually compared him to a criminal, IIRC, whereas what I (and saggers) did was use Craigos's premise to come to a ridiculous conclusion to show what he said wasn't a point that was defendable. It's not analogous at all.
It quite clearly was the exact same thing. Both of us were obviously using similies that were obviously not remotely literal. Yet you decided I was being hyperbolic, because that suited what you were saying at the time.
Spends countless nights feeling bitter and unloved does Richard, always plotting his revenge.
Uh? :huh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It quite clearly was the exact same thing. Both of us were obviously using similies that were obviously not remotely literal. Yet you decided I was being hyperbolic, because that suited what you were saying at the time.
You can argue black is white, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. Having looked at the SW/BE thread I see you said something like "would you give a mass-murderer another chance?", suggesting that somehow SW's continued re-registering was comparable to that. In my case I took a clear logical premise "How can you not respect someone when you don't know them personally?" & found the most obvious example of someone no-one could respect. The fact that pasag used exactly the same example suggests I wasn't unreasonable; I've yet to see anyone else compare SW to a recidivist.

Now unless you have an actual argument rather than just the automatic gainsaying of what I've said I'll thank you not to waste any more of anyone's time with nonsensical whining.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Congratulations to Sir Ian Botham.

Well deserved and while doubts may remain about how good a player he was/could have been, there is little doubt that he kept cricket in the mainstream at that age and even forgetting everything else he has done, he deserves knighthood for that alone. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can argue black is white, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. Having looked at the SW/BE thread I see you said something like "would you give a mass-murderer another chance?", suggesting that somehow SW's continued re-registering was comparable to that. In my case I took a clear logical premise "How can you not respect someone when you don't know them personally?" & found the most obvious example of someone no-one could respect. The fact that pasag used exactly the same example suggests I wasn't unreasonable; I've yet to see anyone else compare SW to a recidivist.

Now unless you have an actual argument rather than just the automatic gainsaying of what I've said I'll thank you not to waste any more of anyone's time with nonsensical whining.
I quite patently was not comparing SW\BLE to a mass-murderer. It's called exaggeration, use of similies, etc. You, however, wanted to think I was taking him too seriously so presumed I was talking literally.