• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Sir Beefy now

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Hussain is pretty good TBH.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Hussain - prefer him to most of the others really, but my elitist group would consider him a bit inferior I reckon.

I would have used Dermot Reeve if he still commentated - then nobody could have any complaints.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Hussain - prefer him to most of the others really, but my elitist group would consider him a bit inferior I reckon.

I would have used Dermot Reeve if he still commentated - then nobody could have any complaints.
Ah, I thought you meant that the others were too good from him in a commentary sense. My mistake.

sideshowtim

Banned
That's what I think of your selection policy...Yes I've hit the odd copper, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby but will you piss off and leave me alone? I'm walking to John O'Groats for some spastics!

pasag

RTDAS
That's what I think of your selection policy...Yes I've hit the odd copper, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby but will you piss off and leave me alone? I'm walking to John O'Groats for some spastics!
Haha, well played. Had forgotten about that.

For Cameron (Warning: mild language etc)

Last edited:
Ian Botham is one of the greatest allrounders ever (Imran,Botham,Miller,Sobers...... in this order for me) & yet some people are saying "I don't quite like him" sort of things.Of course he's been knighted for his social services but you gotta respect him as he's one of the greatest cricketers ever.

Last edited:

Perm

Ian Botham is one of the greatest allrounders ever (Imran,Botham,Miller,Sobers...... in this order for me) & yet some people are saying "I don't quite like him" sort of things.Ofcourse he's been nighted for his social services but you gotta respect him as he's one of the greatest cricketers ever.
You don't have to respect him at all, I can see where people are coming from when they say that they don't really like the guy as a person. These same people probably respect Botham as a cricketer, but not as a peson and that is a big difference.

Perm

How can you not respect somebody as a person when you don't even know them?
People watch how Botham acted as a cricketer, what he is like as a commentator etc and make their minds up from that.

Craig

World Traveller
People watch how Botham acted as a cricketer, what he is like as a commentator etc and make their minds up from that.
Yeah but you only know the public (Sir) Ian Botham yet in real life he is probably completely different.

Perm

Yeah but you only know the public (Sir) Ian Botham yet in real life he is probably completely different.
You are more than likely correct, but the only Botham that people know is the public one, therefore that is the only side of him they can dislike.

pasag

RTDAS
You only know the public Hitler and Bin Laden as well, if you get my drift. Obviously most people have never met these public figures, such as Botham or say Ponting but they are still entitled to like/dislike them based on their public image which is what happens and what people are saying here when they say they dislike Botham as a person. It's also implied that we don't know them in real life and they could be the exact opposite to their public image.

Edit: Haha Brumby, I should've quit after the first sentence and would've beaten you with the exact same point.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You've been attending the C_C class of extreme examples?
Yeah, two peas in a pod ol' C_C & me.

Nah, it's called reductio ad absurdum. You use a deliberately way out or absurd example to show an argument must be wrong if it leads to that conclusion.

Knew that Philosophy degree would come in handy one day. :p

pasag

RTDAS
You've been attending the C_C class of extreme examples?
The point being though that we make judgements about public figures we've never met every day, it's hardly unusal. Paris Hilton is woeful, Bush is an idiot. Diana, Freddie Mercury were awesome, Graeme Smith is a... :p. It's given that we have never met them but we're still entitled to form opinions based on their actions, comments in the spotlight and other information made public regarding them.

Perm

The point being though that we make judgements about public figures we've never met every day, it's hardly unusal. Paris Hilton is woeful, Bush is an idiot. Diana, Freddie Mercury were awesome, Graeme Smith is a... :p. It's given that we have never met them but we're still entitled to form opinions based on their actions, comments in the spotlight and other information made public regarding them.
Good to see there was no ill spoken of Mr Mercury.