• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alex Tudor

deeps

International 12th Man
What's happening with him? What's he doing these days? I honestly thought he would make it at international level, and was highly talented.

I know injuries ruined him, but what are other peoples thoughts on him?

stumpski

International Captain
Well he scored 31* yesterday - his highest score of the season to date. Always been handy with the bat - he made 100s for both Surrey and Essex.

Four wickets at 47 so far this season, nothing special.Probably not as quick as he was either. Not too late to interest the selectors again, but he'd have to up his wicket count dramatically. Hard to say his move to Essex has rejuvenated his career, but at least they're keeping faith with him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was never quite able to conquer the injuries, sadly. And has never been fit consistently enough to do justice to his undoubted talent - with bat and ball.

A real, real crying shame.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He's hardly old at 29, maybe a surprise comeback to fill the third seamer role if Sidebottom fails? I doubt it, but anything is possible.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I thought a lot of it was to with it upstairs?
That was the popular theory. And then it turned out (about 4 years ago) that there had been some injury that none of the medics over here had picked up. Can't recall the details, I'm afraid. afaics he's genuinely been seriously unlucky with injuries.

It's had to see his career going anywhere now. I was pleased to see Essex give him a chance, but he hasn't been great for them, and he's still injured a lot of the time.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's hardly old at 29, maybe a surprise comeback to fill the third seamer role if Sidebottom fails? I doubt it, but anything is possible.
There are a fair few seamers above him in the selectors eyes though, so it's very unlikely that Tudor will ever play for England again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was the popular theory. And then it turned out (about 4 years ago) that there had been some injury that none of the medics over here had picked up. Can't recall the details, I'm afraid. afaics he's genuinely been seriously unlucky with injuries.
Osteitis pubis it was (thanks Gelman) and even after diagnosis there doesn't seem to have been anything which has been able to fix the problem.

I think it might have been as many as 6 years ago that the diagnosis was made - though possibly more like 5.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are a fair few seamers above him in the selectors eyes though, so it's very unlikely that Tudor will ever play for England again.
Just months ago I'd have said that about Sidebottom, TBH. And Tudor has always had more talent in half his body than most have in their entire. Not quite all-rounder material, but not a million miles short.

If he had a blockbuster season this year (not likely, of course, but let's say hypothetical) he'd be right up into consideration again, and rightly so IMO because, as I say, he always looked a bit special and even showed glimpses of that in the Test arena from time to time.

pasag

RTDAS
Ostentis pubis was something along the lines of it (that's definately not spelled right, and CBA to look it up) and even after diagnosis there doesn't seem to have been anything which has been able to fix the problem.

I think it might have been as many as 6 years ago that the diagnosis was made - though possibly more like 5.
Never heard of a cricketer that had Osteitis pubis before tbh. It's been quite a big problem in AFL in recent years though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just months ago I'd have said that about Sidebottom, TBH. And Tudor has always had more talent in half his body than most have in their entire. Not quite all-rounder material, but not a million miles short.

If he had a blockbuster season this year (not likely, of course, but let's say hypothetical) he'd be right up into consideration again, and rightly so IMO because, as I say, he always looked a bit special and even showed glimpses of that in the Test arena from time to time.
Picking Ryan Sidebottom came out of left-field so to speak, and it was surprising successfull. You have a point, but I think Tudor will have to have a very good season to even be back in consideration for an England spot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Picking Ryan Sidebottom came out of left-field so to speak, and it was surprising successfull. You have a point, but I think Tudor will have to have a very good season to even be back in consideration for an England spot.
I think Tudor will have to prove that he's over whatever injury he has, first and foremost. Even if he finds his best bowling form but misses every third game, he won't be considered due to his unreliability in terms of actually staying in the team. Unless he really guns it and averages 12 or something.

iamdavid

International Debutant
AJ Tudor 2.1 0 9 2 .... lol promising start overnight bowling for Essex, albeit coming on 5th change in about the 29th over :blink: