• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Munaf Patel Update

Munaf Patel - Your Verdict

• Will be back with a 140kph bang!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Will be back but has lost his pace forever, still a good medium pacer though

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Was never quick, still a good medium pacer though

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Useless, an average, injury prone fool!

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Disclaimer: This short paragraph is written entirely by me and I credit my sources (two full articles) at the bottom, all credit for the interviews to Munaf and the information go to the source articles.

Since being dropped from the Indian cricket team, Munaf Patel is understandably distraught. He has switched his mobile off and only wishes contact with close friends and contacts in the media. He has ventured to the MRF Pace Foundation (where his ability was first spotted) in order to further work on his bowling.

Munaf's impoverished background makes him a most unusual case to deal with and in my opinion, he must be treated with care rather than neglect since he has a great talent for pace, a top bouncer and good control when needs be in boiling Indian conditions.

His problem has been well documented as mental since he never believes to be fit. Since the ICC Champions Trophy 2006 in India, he suffered an alarming drop in pace and it was only now that his drop in pace and frequent injuries have raised alarm bells in the BCCI.

Munaf was referred Dr. Abhay Nene, a consultant orthopaedic spinal surgeon at the P. D. Hinduja National Hospital (whatever that is) and he spotted a sprain in a single vertebrae in the back. I also believe this could be the root of his problems since the spine is the centre of all non reflex actions.

He will undergo rehab treatment and the BCCI have been made aware of this intriguing development in the saga of Munaf Patel.

Sources:

1. Kadambari Murali in the Hindustan Times
2. http://www.hindu.com/2007/06/16/stories/2007061604061900.htm

PS: I do not live in India and the credit for finding the articles goes to www.cricketvoice.com

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting... could we have another case of Alex Tudor where someone was getting injured all the time and people unfairly called them soft when in fact there was an underlying condition?

If so, I hope this works-out better than in the Tudor case.

adharcric

International Coach
Munaf's case is certainly a strange one. Hope he attains his potential soon enough ... India needs him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Agreed. He does need to work on his physical attributes though, such as stamina and muscle mass in addition to solving whatever medical problems that may be plaguing him.

adharcric

International Coach
Unfortunately, I can see him having a tough time improving his fitness. He has lived his life in a village, probably has **** nutrition and body structure. Good luck to him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India have plenty of 'ok' pace bowlers to take his place till he comes back so he should rehab till he is 100% better.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's just the sort of thing he doesn't need. :no:
Why? I think that the problem lies in his attitude and unwillingness to actually do some hard work and improve his batting and fielding as well as training sensibly to help his bowling. If he gets into a good diet and exercise regime then he will become much fitter, but he doesn't seem to want to exert himself enough to do this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm with you in that he needs to put in the hard work and have some good diet\exercise programs, but, well, as I mentioned - this seems to me to bear remarkable resemblence to the Alex Tudor case where a player got injured constantly and people often threw at him the "toughen up son, FFS" stuff. But then it was discovered that there was actually an underlying medical problem causing all these injuries and apparent laissez-faire. What he needs is sympathy and treatment.

Hopefully, as I say, there will be a happier outcome in the Patel case than the Tudor one.

Perm

I'm with you in that he needs to put in the hard work and have some good diet\exercise programs, but, well, as I mentioned - this seems to me to bear remarkable resemblence to the Alex Tudor case where a player got injured constantly and people often threw at him the "toughen up son, FFS" stuff. But then it was discovered that there was actually an underlying medical problem causing all these injuries and apparent laissez-faire. What he needs is sympathy and treatment.

Hopefully, as I say, there will be a happier outcome in the Patel case than the Tudor one.
Well until we know for certain whether he is lazy or actual has some sort of medical condition then I don't think the sympathy thing should be trotted out. I'd be in full support of sympathy and treatment being used if we knew for certain that he had some sort of illness or condition that limited his training ability, but at the moment I think he just needs to put his head down and get on with some hard work.

Perm

Unfortunately, I can see him having a tough time improving his fitness. He has lived his life in a village, probably has **** nutrition and body structure. Good luck to him.
Do India not have an infrastructure to help players with training and nutrition?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well until we know for certain whether he is lazy or actual has some sort of medical condition then I don't think the sympathy thing should be trotted out. I'd be in full support of sympathy and treatment being used if we knew for certain that he had some sort of illness or condition that limited his training ability, but at the moment I think he just needs to put his head down and get on with some hard work.
TBH, I thought Manee was suggesting it was already certain:
Munaf was referred Dr. Abhay Nene, a consultant orthopaedic spinal surgeon at the P. D. Hinduja National Hospital (whatever that is) and he spotted a sprain in a single vertebrae in the back. I also believe this could be the root of his problems since the spine is the centre of all non reflex actions.

He will undergo rehab treatment and the BCCI have been made aware of this intriguing development in the saga of Munaf Patel.
Some clarification?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The final sentance in the first paragraph Richard has quoted is my year 10 biology at work :D

Perm

TBH, I thought Manee was suggesting it was already certain:

Some clarification?
Ah I see, I must confess to having missed that part of Manee's article (very well written BTW mate :)). If that is the case and he does have some sort of spinal injury, then a lengthy time on the sidelines wouldn't be out of the question. While sympathy isn't what he needs, rehabilitation work needs to start pretty much straight away and he needs to put in a good effort as well, as I don't think you can blame a small yet serious injury like this on his apparant disinterest in improving his fielding and batting.

Perm

Generally, you get that during your childhood. Well, maybe not in a village ...
Now that people can see Munaf Patel is a talented bowler, won't nutritional programmes be put in place for him? I would be gobsmacked if there wasn't some sort of training academy that would assist Munaf with his conditioning.

adharcric

International Coach
Now that people can see Munaf Patel is a talented bowler, won't nutritional programmes be put in place for him? I would be gobsmacked if there wasn't some sort of training academy that would assist Munaf with his conditioning.
Sure hope so but you never know in India.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I have not faked injuries: Munaf
Thursday June 21 2007 00:00 IST

CHENNAI: Mumbai speedster Munaf Patel whose fitness has been the topic of many hot debates, wishes to put all speculation to rest and has declared himself `fit'.

The lanky lad also dismissed talks that he has lost the bite and cannot bowl quick.

“Who says I cannot bowl quick. I know to bowl as per the situation and know also when to increase the pace. All I would like to say at the moment is that I will come back and prove everybody wrong. I wish the ball to do talking,” said a peeved Munaf.
Full article: http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IES20070620083849&Page=S&Title=Sports&Topic=0&

On the forum I found this, people criticised Munaf still. I wish to be optimistic and say he will be back with a bang, this criticism making him stronger.