• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Munaf Patel Update

Munaf Patel - Your Verdict

• Will be back with a 140kph bang!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Will be back but has lost his pace forever, still a good medium pacer though

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Was never quick, still a good medium pacer though

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Useless, an average, injury prone fool!

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only time I have seen Munaf Patel bowl was in the Test series against South Africa and he looked pretty average, so I can't really make a judgement on how much he is going to bounce back. I just hope that for India's sake that he can recover from these injuries relatively unharmed and continual to bowl well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess I can say the same about the 2 Tests against England and a few other ODIs in early 2006\07... almost exclusively which saw him bowling well. I've always thought he deserved big raps... and have always rated him above S Sreesanth.

Maybe I'd think differently if I'd seen these games where he's apparently looked like he's been playing 1\4 fit or so.

adharcric

International Coach
Early on, Munaf certainly appeared to be far superior to Sreesanth but Sreesanth had more potential IMO. Munaf's stamina issues were apparent from the very beginning and by the time the WI series rolled around, I was sure he would break down with injury soon enough. Really hope he makes a strong comeback.

EDIT: Munaf vs England, Munaf vs West Indies and Munaf vs South Africa were virtually three different bowlers.

Last edited:

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Well, Munaf has got lots of time to regain full fitness and I hope he doesn't go and do something silly now. I don't think his claims that he is 'fit' should be taken without a pinch of salt. It's probably a last-ditch effort to get into the Test squad if someone like Zaheer cannot make a full recovery.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Early on, Munaf certainly appeared to be far superior to Sreesanth but Sreesanth had more potential IMO. Munaf's stamina issues were apparent from the very beginning and by the time the WI series rolled around, I was sure he would break down with injury soon enough. Really hope he makes a strong comeback.

EDIT: Munaf vs England, Munaf vs West Indies and Munaf vs South Africa were virtually three different bowlers.
Obviously Munaf was always pending-fitness but if he can sort all problems I still think he has more potential than Sreesanth due to generally being more accurate and being that bit taller and quicker.

adharcric

International Coach
Obviously Munaf was always pending-fitness but if he can sort all problems I still think he has more potential than Sreesanth due to generally being more accurate and being that bit taller and quicker.
Quicker? Munaf just puts everything into it once in a while and bowls a quick spell in the high 80s; actually, he hasn't really done that since the WI tour. Of course, Munaf was apparently much quicker but got screwed by injuries (makes sense now). Sreesanth, on the other hand, consistently bowls between 84 and 88 mph. Certainly not counting on Munaf at the moment - his fitness is a massive concern.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, he bowled one at 88mph today and obviously, on a better day, should be able to hit it more often. He is a geniunly quick bowler, ironically starting after visiting the MRF Pace Foundation which Munaf has just left after a short stint.

adharcric

International Coach
Sreesanth at 88mph?

News to me, TBH.

EDIT: not saying it's not true, that is.
Nailed Pietersen with a 88 mph delivery IIRC. The radar wasn't too high vs England or WI but he regularly clocked 86-87 against SA with several 88-89s. Actually, he hit 90 today but it was flicked through midwicket for four. :)

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully he can either get consistant accuracy and swing with his pace or realise that he won't be outpacing international batsman every ball and stick to about 85pmh where he can be accurate and krank it up for a yorker or bouncer or swinging full ball.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nailed Pietersen with a 88 mph delivery IIRC. The radar wasn't too high vs England or WI but he regularly clocked 86-87 against SA with several 88-89s. Actually, he hit 90 today but it was flicked through midwicket for four. :)
And he was consistently the quickest bowler in South Africa (on both sides), did Boucher with a 90mph+ ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... not really.

He might be quicker than all of them but I'd still have Pollock, Ntini and Nel ahead of him. And probably Steyn too, as they're pretty similar.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well... not really.

He might be quicker than all of them but I'd still have Pollock, Ntini and Nel ahead of him. And probably Steyn too, as they're pretty similar.
I think Sreesanth is a gun in test matches and that your view of him is obscured due to his poor ODI record. He simply needs to adapt his game to ODIs which he has failed to do, if he does not do it soon, he should be dropped from ODIs as he does not fit in the team well as an expensive bowler who takes wickets with an average strike rate.

I would not have Nel above him in tests because Sreesanth always threatens to get a wicket while Nel just always threatens the batsman with a stare and his energy seems to fade in tests while Sreesanth has a permanent energy about him.

Anywhoo, this is a discussion about Munaf Patel, someone who I feel has the potential to bowl alot quicker and better than Sreesanth due to his brilliant accuracy and vicious bouncer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Sreesanth is a gun in test matches and that your view of him is obscured due to his poor ODI record. He simply needs to adapt his game to ODIs which he has failed to do, if he does not do it soon, he should be dropped from ODIs as he does not fit in the team well as an expensive bowler who takes wickets with an average strike rate.

I would not have Nel above him in tests because Sreesanth always threatens to get a wicket while Nel just always threatens the batsman with a stare and his energy seems to fade in tests while Sreesanth has a permanent energy about him.
Nah, it just takes more than one good series to convince me about a bowler. And more than two, for that matter - see Harmison. I was probably just about the only person in The World not to be championing him in June 2004 and look how that turned-out. Caution is always the preferable option.

As to Nel, he's a more accurate and more threatening bowler IMO. Yes, his recent record is poor but it's hardly an accurate reflection of how he's bowled IMO.

adharcric

International Coach
Anywhoo, this is a discussion about Munaf Patel, someone who I feel has the potential to bowl alot quicker and better than Sreesanth due to his brilliant accuracy and vicious bouncer.
Being accurate helps you bowl quicker? By the way, his bouncer is hardly "vicious" at the moment; he extracts awkward bounce but he hasn't troubled many with his bouncer yet.

adharcric

International Coach
Well... not really.

Sreesanth was the quickest of the lot and we're only discussing how quick he is, not how good he is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, indeed. But being quick isn't that important - being good is (one, of course, is a part-subsidary of the other).