• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall spurns NZC contract

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not quite sure what's going on here. So has he pretty much given up on New Zealand? Reckon New Zealand Cricket should ask him back for all the money they've invested in him... (just kidding, but it's pretty disappointing).

From my email inbox:

Media Release - June 15 2007

Marshall declines New Zealand Contract

Hamish Marshall has declined to accept a New Zealand Cricket contract for the 2007/08 season in favour of playing county cricket in England as a local player.

Marshall will not be eligible to play for the BLACKCAPS while he is classified as a local player in England.

"NZC will now offer the contract to another player to be announced next week," BLACKCAPS General Manager, Lindsay Crocker said.

"I spoke to Hamish about the decision earlier today. I believe he likely had a future with the BLACKCAPS, however I accept his reasons for pursing the certainty of a career in county cricket and wish him all the best."

Marshall, is currently playing for Gloucestershire as an overseas player but is eligible to play in the English county competition as a local player as he holds an Irish passport.

New Zealand Cricket Players Association executive manager, Heath Mills, said Marshall made the decision as a means to securing his financial future. "Whilst this is disappointing from a BLACKCAPS perspective the NZCPA is supportive of Hamish and recognises the courage it has taken for him to reach this decision."

"This has been the most difficult decision of my life. I have been extremely proud to represent my country during the last six years and have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my time in the BLACKCAPS," Marshall said.

"I would like to thank the staff at NZC for their support of me over the years, particularly John Bracewell and the BLACKCAPS team management. They have created an excellent team environment that I have found very difficult to leave. I would also like to acknowledge the support I have had from my BLACKCAPS team mates, who it has been a pleasure to play alongside."

"It is also important for me to acknowledge the unwavering support I have had from my family throughout my career with the BLACKCAPS and their support of the decision I have made today. I would also like to thank the many other people who I have talked to in recent weeks and who have helped me with my decision making."

"This has not been an easy decision but I now look forward to the future and hope that I will still have opportunities to play in New Zealand before my career finishes."

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm very puzzled actually, does he not want to play for the Black Caps anymore? The way he thanks his family, coaches etc indicates that he feels his playing career in New Zealand is over.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm. That almost has a bit of loading about it, that sentence. Playing "in" New Zealand, for England possibly? Would this open up Marshall to be able to play for Ireland?

Perm

Hmm. That almost has a bit of loading about it, that sentence. Playing "in" New Zealand, for England possibly? Would this open up Marshall to be able to play for Ireland?
Never picked up on that until now actually, he has an Irish passport so I wouldn't rule it out of the equation.

HeathDavisSpeed

Party at Heath's house tonight. Everyone's invited...

Except for that ****ing useless, **** for brains, talentless waste of ****ing space in what should be a talent filled middle order, professional fielding, curly haired wasterel, sputum filled, whoring what small talent he has piece of ****e.

Now, if only James will follow him into obscurity.

Those two are the most undeserving wankers ever to be in the New Zealand team.

Hamish can go to hell.

Oh... and Bracewell's a **** and he's not invited either.

Flem274*

123/5
Interesting this, Marshall had 2-3 years of excellence and I've always thought that when he dropped off form that Bracewell shouldn't have persevered with him for so long because it could ruin his confidence. I had the thought a few days ao that he could do a Matthew Hayden and become a world class cricketer once he redicovered his form. Hope Sinclair gets that contract though.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is really bad for English county cricket... first Rudolph, now Marshall. It's supposed to be a breeding ground for talent that will fill our national team, and it's turning into 'easy money' for internationals who aren't bothered with representing their own country.

Perm

I had the thought a few days ao that he could do a Matthew Hayden and become a world class cricketer once he redicovered his form.
Hamish Marshall doesn't have the work ethic to get himself back into form through hard work and practice, he dislikes having a proper net session and has only just stopped relying on throw downs as his only form of batting practice. When Hayden was struggling against spin he practiced for days on end trying to perfect his sweep shot, now look at how well he can play that stroke. I could never see Hamish Marshall putting that kind of work into his batting.